AMD Desktop processor Market Share rises to 13%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    This idea starts off wrong then ends in the right place. The review sites can't be blamed for recommending great products with higher performance even if they are sold at a premium. If the other product wants a recommendation it needs =/>100% of the performance at equal or lesser price. Less performance at less price is expected, not unique or exceptional. The cost of the processor is a one time cost. That 5-10% lower performance is something experienced every day. Even if that performance is synthetic or minimal, the user knows what they have is 2nd tier and experiences that daily. Intel knows this.

I think Zen1 is great and glad to read the market share is slowly increasing. I hope Zen2 builds on that.

2. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I don't see any upward trend for AMD CPU market share on Steam Hardware Survey. It's more or less a steady line there. AMD fans are such a vocal minority, if you read hardware websites and forums you can become brainwashed into thinking that nobody is buying Intel CPUs any more and that Intel is about to file for bankruptcy. PC enthusiasts sure are weird creatures. :confused::D

[​IMG]

3. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    No, your're misreading. The message is to buy AMD now wherever you can, because without sales they will fail, and we'll be back to one-company stagnation. It's that simple.

The rest of the message is that now you can go to AMD, certainly for CPUs, unless you have a business or other pro demand for an Intel chip. So you give up a little IPC or a few fps on some game today - in return you get ongoing technology competition in the future. Not a hard choice.

We're just damned lucky we got a second chance. Thank you AMD.

{And yes I realize that AMD could become just as fat, arrogant, lazy, grasping and venal as Intel is now. Then we can buy the latter}.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s the thing, hardware sites only recommend products, it´s up to the reader to read the reviews and decide for themselves what´s the best product for their case. Regarding the case you mentioned, almost every reviewer wrote that Intel was better for those who want a PC for gaming but they also said that Ryzen was a terrific CPU with lots of performance and also perfectly capable for gaming although worse than Intel. You only need to understand this and then decide what´s best for your case, that´s it. In my case i went with Intel because my rig is basically for gaming.

That´s my case. Outside of gaming, i have no use for a powerful CPU and if it wasn´t for gaming i would still be using an E6400.

5. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Yep. That just goes to show what power media sites have. And also, people have a tendency to not give up on their usual buying choices. They end up changing their preferences either if other product is clearly better or is the same and cheaper. That makes sense.
    If review sites would be a bit more balanced in their conclusions, maybe people would move to AMD.
    But in any case, AMD needs to disrupt the market and create a better gaming CPU than what Intel has if it wants better percentages.
    Still, real money is made on data center and Rome will sell like hot cakes.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah but where do you draw the line with that.. Like you want to boil it down to Gaming vs Workstation type stuff but there are workstation workloads (anything that uses 256bit AVX2 or AVX512) where Intel processors still dominate. Hell a lot of Photoshop filters, Lightroom, various adobe stuff, etc still don't scale properly to 4+ cores so Intel wins in those workloads too.

I think the best thing sites can do is give a recommended processor for the content they are reviewing and just have in the article that AMD and/or Intel could also be a good alternative if x,y,z are other things you're looking at when it comes to processing. I think most of the good sites have been fairly good at doing that.. considering we are having this discussion and in most threads it gets brought up. Problem is people are always going to flock to the bar graph and see whose on top and conclude there.

7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Honestly that's a wrong message and a pathetic stance to take. AMD isn't a non-profit charity origination that I should donate and help them. If they want my money they should make the best gaming chip with highest IPC. They will never get my money for the sole reason that they are the underdog. It's not how life works anyway. When buying a car do you look at some obscure brand that's struggling? "Oh these poor poor guys, I'll buy their questionable quality car instead of something trustworthy from a mega-corporation like Toyota"

BangTail and GenClaymore like this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Except unlike the car industry there is only two processor companies and unlike what you're saying AMD's product isn't questionable quality.. for most people the performance in games is nearly identical and it's significantly cheaper and definitely offers way better perf/$. Also in life the government is supposed to penalize the monopoly to allow competition to flourish and prevent stagnation. Which isn't really happening either considering Intel still hasn't paid it's $1.6B lawsuit and is fighting it tooth and nail.

carnivore likes this.
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, people should buy according to their needs. I'm a gamer but I also do a lot of grid computing on the side (I like supporting science and humanitarian research) so I need a CPU that can handle both. This is why I go with AMD since they are the only company willing to offer a lot of performance for a reasonable price. I now have the computing power that I desire while still being able to game at ultra high settings (like most people, I play with a GPU cap) and I still have money in the bank. I'd say that's a win ;)

10. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It seems every new game release I always read comments from people with AMD platforms having some sort of odd issues: stuttering, framepacing, BSODs, bad performance, etc. Is that because devs prioritize Intel/Nvidia? Maybe. But I'm not 15 year olds any more with countless hours to tinker and troubleshoot. I just need a product that works and that's been Intel and Nvidia for me and I'll continue to buy that. Why wouldn't I?

Your whole monopoly argument, I don't know, it's not our place to police that. Like you said, that's what laws are for. If you care so much about that then why are you using Windows? You could switch to Linux, it would be nearly as good, but you wouldn't be able to play ALL your games. So you talk about monopoly but then you also hypocritically support it. All this gets very slippery. I guess we can't really escape that as entire tech industry is basically based on monopoly and duopoly.

P.S. I did my part to "support" AMD because I have PS4 and Xbox ;)

11. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    You're not thinking, you're rationalizing. There's a big difference - look it up. The topic is CPUs, and you can't be as uninformed as you sound. And if everyone does the same as you, we'll be back to where we were. That's what's at stake now and probably for the next couple of years.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Lol ,what? Where did you get that idea? You want to tell me that intel +nvidia users do not have problems ....? For someone that claims to not have time seems that you found time to get a huge amount of time to count a big enough amount of threads over time analyse the system specs then compare em to the market share and ended on the conclusion that amd hardware tends to have more problems than intel+nvidia combo! Also since you did all this research i would be interested to see the amd+nvidia combo and the intel+amd gpu combo as well! Except if you are just talking out of thin air... but you wouldn't do that i am sure!

Buy what ever you like your pocket your buisness, but please do not present arguments that have 0 substance as facts.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I'm just noticing a common theme when reading Steam reviews for new games, AMD owners tend to have more problems. This is of course not the evidence of anything, and I don't claim that it is, but you don't have any evidence on the contrary. So I'll just stick to what works for me, thank you very much.

And again, seems like Ryzen hype has died down and AMD market share is no longer on the rise, at least on Steam Hardware Survey. Keep in mind Steam data is up-to-date, where as Guru3D's numbers are 1 year old (when Ryzen hype was at the peak).

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Stick to what ever you want your personal preference in hardware is your buisness alone . So you tell me that every new release while you do not have problems since your combo works for you, you are going and checking to see the complaints? Also i fail to follow your logic ...you do not have proof just your word for it where i very much question your objectivity about but somehow i do not have proof for what? That people with intel +nvidia combo can experience problems as well as full amd systems amd &intel and amd nvidia also none is immune to em, i believe i do not need proof that computer problems can occur to any system combination.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's funny, I recently researched some game issues on the Steam forums a while ago and most of the users had Intel systems. Does that indicate that Intel hardware is more prone to problems? Not anymore than comments from people owning AMD hardware. This is anecdotal evidence, which is virtually worthless!

I've used both the Core i7 and Ryzen 7 for my gaming rig and the experience is very similar for both. Of course first-gen Ryzen had it share of teething issues but it's not like my Intel system was completely free of problems (I initially encountered horrible stability issues with my 4790K which I finally resolved by buying a different brand of RAM). I currently own several PCs (Core i7 4790K, Ryzen 7 1800X, Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and Ryzen 5 2400G) and they've all been very stable - in fact, the last system that encountered an unrecoverable BSOD was my Intel system. It seems to me that you took a few reviews by people who happened to have AMD systems and generalized it across the entire platform.

Right, like the Steam Survey data is highly reliable - we saw how reliable it was this during the whole Chinese internet cafe fiasco, right? ;). Furthermore, I posted a link to sales data from mindfactory.de, which showed actual sales numbers from an actual retailer - which showed that AMD is now accounting for 71% of sales (and 59% revenue). Frankly, I prefer hard sales data over a random (and optional) survey. :p

16. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Oh great, we got a Steam Hardware Survey denier over here. Just because you don't like what you see doesn't mean it's not true. It's funny that you say Steam survey is unreliable, when in fact market share reported by steam is very similar to what Guru3D's article reported. In fact your mindfactory link is an outlier and represents a very small sample size on a global scale and proves nothing whatsoever.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Steam hardware survey is bogus even with their supposed "fix", if you don't know this, you aren't paying attention.

Ah, i see, you know it's unreliable bogus you're just unwilling to understand and listen. Got it.

18. Craigpd

Craigpd Member

GPU:
    Raedeon HD7950 3GB
    Until steam gives you the option to filter results by mobile/desktop then it will forever be unreliable. Not even mentioning the fact that it is a limited platform - not everyone has steam, why would you need it in an office for example? And even then, the hardware survey is an opt-in survey. So what do we have, a limited platform, with no market segregation, and is optional to begin with.
    We already know that 70% of steam users are on laptops. And without being able to exclude those from the dataset, we simply cannot derive desktop market share from this information.
    Meanwhile an independent party that has been accurately reporting market share figures via sales for years is suddenly less reliable than an optional survey with no filter settings? Or are Mercury only accurate when reporting an Intel marketshare gain?

19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What are you two blubbering about? Steam shows that AMD's market share is around 15%, which is even better than Guru3D's reported 13%. You should be happy if you are AMD fanboys, not mad about this. Seems to me like you are arguing for the sake of arguing, not even realizing that what I posted is even better than Guru3D's report. LOL :confused:

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I will back with you soon AMD! :>

Your prices make more sense.