Live: AMD Next Horizon Event announcements 7nm ZEN2 / Radeon Instinct MI60

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I am So Happy Now!!!!
    Think about it, first ThreadRipper adopters with 1950X doubled the performance 1 Year later with 2990WX and next year they gonna Double the performance again with 64C! LOL!!!!!

Also- did anyone spot the Key part of the MCM desing in the presentation? PaperMaster told that to produce monolithic 32C CPU would cost AMD X1.7 the cost vs MCM design with 4X8C, Intel is loosing big money to compete against AMD's MCM design!

2. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The scotish guy was right

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Pretty sure they said it was 25% over last generation which for Eypc was the original Zen, that would still be 20% over Zen+, guess the rumours of 13% was worst case or AMD has been holding the cards tight like the original Ryzen which they quoted as being 40% faster than bulldozer but ended up being 52%. I still reserve judgement on this however because if it is indeed 20% Intel is gonna be hurting as that will completely nullify their clock speed advantage and thats assuming the Ryzen 2 remains at the same clock speeds which from what we have been hearing they will get a further 200Mhz clock speed boost to 4.5GHz which isn't much but with 20% IPC it would make it equivalent to an i9 @ 5.3~5.4Ghz.

If it really is 25% over Zen+ then Intel would have to compete on price... lol yeah right like Intel is gonna severely drop their prices when they have a shortage going on!!.

Maybe AMD learn't from their past mistakes and the information they spout out is worst case so that they never disappoint when it does come out. Also because they provide the information a fair bit in advance it does give their competition time to catch up and even counter it. However at this point not a whole lot Intel can do with 10nm MIA they are pretty much screwed and at this rate 10nm will be equivalent to their 14+++ fabrication process.

Well in any case upgrading my 1700 is on the table in 4 months time, wow can't believe it would be 2 years i would have had this. Where does the time go. Zen seems to be a pretty scalable architecture to, i guess that was part of their requirements when they originally designed it

4. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    AMD will keep making CPUs to beat meaningless benchmarks and Intel will keep making CPUs for real life games....

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Riiiiight.... because the 9900K is such a wise choice for gamers...

/s

(not to mention, there's more to owning a PC than playing games)

6. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    And with the way prices are for the CPU's on Intels side and nVidia over charging their GPU's on the high end market the money is no object enthusiastics are quickly dwindling.

Intels IPC in games is pretty small clock for clock too this video covers the R7 2700X and i9 9900K both locked to 4.2GHz and a RTX 2080Ti @ 2100MHz running at 1080p Intel may lead by 3fps average but since we are on about fps thats only a 1.5% advantage and very much doubt even with Ultra settings being used due to the modest clocks that the RTX2080Ti overclocked is a bottleneck|:

Aura89 likes this.
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I tried to use Photoshop to compare EPYC 32C dies to the new EPYC 64C and noticed that the 8 core Chiplets are around 1/3 of the die size of current Zen!!
    This is massive reduction that must improve yields and per CPU cost! -Well Done AMD!.

Picolete likes this.
  9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Guys, do you think we'll see a 16 core 32 thread on x370/470 am4's? Because I really don't wanna upgrade from 8c/16t to 8c/16t again with higher clocks. Need to get my hopes up.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    What I find ironic is that many of these Intel fanboys demand 720p gaming tests. They trash productivity tests as "meaningless" while insisting on testing games at a resolution that nobody plays at, LOL.

Amigafan35, Embra, carnivore and 5 others like this.

11. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    True it is worthless, all it really tests is how well optimised that architecture is for that specific game, as games become more demanding they become more multi thread aware and can make more use of threads.So testing at 720p is not really worth much because as graphics cards become more powerful there is a very high likely hood that people have moved onto other newer games which will be better optimised running newer engines and has less reliance on single threaded performance. So the test is technically irrelevant unless you are gonna still be playing that specific game long after the developers have abandoned it.

Aura89 likes this.
  12. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Rgr that.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I understand AMD needs to follow this path to create CPUs with more and more cores but isn´t this solution going to create an even bigger issue/problem with latency??? Because shuffling data between all those cores can´t be simple.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes, but it does seem that Zen 2 will improve upon that at least somewhat.

15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Some folks here talking about desktop chips like the 9900K vs data center chips that AMD is talking about is really silly. It's like saying my Ferrari goes faster than your semi truck, sure it does now move all your stuff in your house across the country in them and see who wins after the Ferrari has to travel country 50x over. It's just apples to oranges.

I expect we should have some news on Ryzen made with Zen 2 in a few months. Really expect them to inch out more performance by moving to one CCX aka chiplet for the consumer space. At the point Ryzen is out then lets compare the 9900K to Ryzen and see how things fall out.

Venix likes this.

16. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    have to keep in mind that the interchip latency is greatly effected by the frequency of the interconnect, i'd imagine it will be running at a higher speed , since well you have double the cores to feed, also
    the centralized io hub should also help a fair bit, it is nolonger NUMA , so overall it should be significantly better than first gen epyc / threadripper.

17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    "Real life games" ?? Did you forget your irony markers? I hope so, because otherwise this would be one of the dumbest statements seen around lately.

And by the way, whom do you have to thank for the hipo Intel chips today? Right - AMD. Please try to see the big picture here.

18. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    Guys check AdoredTV's past vids about chiplets, interposers and misaligned butter donuts if you havent yet, great stuff.

Picolete likes this.
  19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Oh hello daily troll that doesn't understand technology, nice to meet ya!

20. marian4q

marian4q Member

GPU:
    Radeon XFX RX 480
    AdoredTV was right again. I like that guy, seems honest, underestimated...but there is a bunch of us that supports him. Hilbert I like you too ;-)