GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Prices are climbing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well that's why EVGA has one of the best warranties out there (unless something has changed) that's not the case with MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte. Please do correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I think we both agree that Any hardware breaks, new or old. To say that it doesn't is false. You may get lucky, or you may not, that's why the majority of people prefer to have some form of warranty.

I have experienced second-hand stuff that breaks, so did my friends. But then again some stuff I've bought second hand, never broke. All things considered, I don't reply on Luck.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The 1080Ti is one of the best products I've bought in a long time but after the 20XX scandal I'm more than happy to support AMD (if they bring something great to the table).

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    RE: 2070 vs 1080Ti
    2070 is 85% of 1080Ti perf. Which means that within next few months it will be 90% easily.

If DLSS or RT become a viable option, 1080Ti is a dead end. If not... given a choice between brand new 1080Ti or 2070, I'd still take the latter because
    • brand new arch
    • better driver/dev support
    • less watts

1080Ti is still an awesome card, no doubt about it... but lets not erect 500 euro monuments to 2nd hand offers :)

:)

I thought we were fine... and then BOOM :mad: :mad:

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Not so simple. At higher resolutions 1080Ti has bigger lead over 2070. 1080Ti has 11GB VRAM and 2070 only 8GB. This is very important for 4K and especially for future as more and more games use ludicrous amounts of VRAM. Saying "1080Ti is a dead end" is absurd as it's a very powerful GPU as well as has 11GB VRAM which is very important for future proofing. 1080Ti is a very well balanced product.

carnivore likes this.

5. Wolfskin07

Wolfskin07 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Where I live, in Portugal, there is no need to register for warranty. You get a proof of purchase or invoice or whatever you call it when you buy the item and that is all that is needed for the 2 year duration of the standard warranty. Some brands like Asus or MSI offer a 3 year warranty, from the date of purchase, with no registration. I remember some Gigabyte cards with 4 or 5 year warranty that required registration on their website but that's it (for the extra 2 or 3 years of warranty).

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Same here in my country. You always get valid warranty when buying used hardware, the only reason you don't get warranty if you buy something stolen or something that was acquired in illegal methods. That's why I made posts that buying used hardware is very popular here. I don't know why one person got so very angry about my posts.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm curious, did anybody ever try to get that warranty to work on 2nd hand hardware?

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @Glottiz
    those are 4k figures, from 14 reviewers, including Guru3d
    (2nd chart, 4K index)

admittedly 11GB vs 8GB on 2080/70 is somewhat unsettling... err disappointing

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @Glottiz
    Nobody's angry, on the contrary, it's you who got mega pissed the second I said that's not the case everywhere, and you started calling names. ;)

10. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Evga and Msi require only the serial number to check balance of warranty. So if you buy these brand cards used you can check on balance of warranty and indeed it is transferable. So the lowest I could find new price in U.S. was $675 on Amazon and it ranges up all the way up to $1400+. The old supply and demand coming in to effect here. Nvidia just announced end of production of 1080ti and supply dwindling. This will cause the1080ti price, new, to meet or exceed the 2080 card price and eventually you will be forced to make the decision to buy the 2080. Unless you are a 4k freak I wouldn't panic just yet. Black Friday is coming up in U.S. and I would advise to take a long hard look at the prices then if you are looking to pull the trigger. Myself with a 1080 card I am still happy and will wait for AMD to hopefully come out with something cheaper in 2019. If not I will still wait until next generation of Rtx because they just didn't get this one right.

11. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I believe in most EU countries, including mine (Slovakia) you get a 2 year warranty minimum by law. I have never needed to register any warranty on the manufacturers website. The shop where you bought the item handles the warranty and the only thing thing you need is proof of purchase, doesn't matter who was the original buyer.

carnivore likes this.
  12. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Problem here is that on 4k and even sometime on 3440x1440 I can go over 8GB VRAM ussage and using RTX stuff on top of that would only increase memory usage, so going down from 11 to 8GB is no option for me.

Actually that's NO at least for EU warranty (at least 2 years mandatory one) must be honored by manufacturer regardless of how many times ownership was transferred.
    With extended warranty it depends, it might be more difficult, but unless specifically explained prior to purchase on bill or box that its non transferable, you are still likely win in case of dispute.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Sad that this nearly 2 yr old card is still more expensive than when it came out, and for the privilege you're buying last gen tech, shocking state of the GPU industry! Terrible time to buy a card.

HonoredShadow and carnivore like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Though anecdotes are never a good way to prove a point, Glottiz isn't totally wrong in considering buying a used 1080Ti. People continue to treat computer hardware as though it's a mechanical piece of machinery that degrades from heavy use, and that's a destructive blanket mentality to make. Sure, transistors do degrade over time, but if something under-volted, put in a well-controlled environment, and only had a couple years of heavy use, the level of degradation is negligible. If you OC your hardware, push the voltage just a little too high, and process data 24/7 as it exceeds 80C, then yeah, you're going to shorten the lifespan, but that's not what we're talking about here.

HOWEVER...
    I would be wary of miners who over-volted their GPUs, and I'm also wary of buying used hardware since a lot of people don't take proper precautions. If I see a photo on ebay of something sitting on a carpet, I immediately pass on it. I've bought many used parts for my BOINC rig and despite some of these things being 6 years old and reach temperatures of 75C, they still run with solid consistent performance.

So as far as I'm concerned, buying a used mining GPU isn't a bad idea, especially if you go for something like a RX 580, where maybe you'll end up ditching it in 2 or 3 years anyway. Even an over-volted one will survive that amount of time.

15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Everybody is in a different situation, if you can afford it then buy a 2080Ti, if not then dont, simples. Ive a WCed 1080Ti and the games i play at 4k perform very nicely, yes i can afford a 2080Ti but i couldn't be bothered with changing out my current card.

My general rule of thumb is to buy the fastest card, WC it and then skip a generation (or two) as long as it plays my games well at the resolution i use. Maybe thats why i still run a 2700K (at 4.9ghz) cos at 4k a newer CPU wont make much of a difference anyway.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    85% is more likely around 81%. Don't forget that RTX FE vs AIB differences are nowhere near GTX 9/10X FE vs AIB. Power consumption is nearly the same, around 25-30W difference... New arch, yes, with the ability to run RT games on 720P, maybe.

Nope. Let them rot on Nvidia. The best advice.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Of course not.
    No one is arguing 2070 or even 2080 as an upgrade path for 1080 Ti owners. Even 2080 Ti is meh in that regard.
    It's even more complicated than that. Unlike CPUs, gfx card is not built just from transistors.
    And yet I had perfectly new 8700k die on me after a month of light usage (stock clocks, UNDERVOLTED, temp in 30s), and this 290 I have had mining for months 24/7 at 95 Celsius; replaced the cooler a year later with Accelero Xtreme IV and 4 years later it's fresh as a newborn baby.
    Is why I say it's complicated.

Realistically though (statistically averaged and disregarding my unholy 290 :D), the hardware starts dying the moment you turn it on, and the older it is the bigger chances of dying.
    What are the numbers, percentages, chances... LOL I don't know! We don't know the rates at which silicone degrades, let alone the structurally much more complicated device like gfx card.

But that 2nd hand 1080Ti is not getting any younger, and it has better chances of croaking now than when it was brand new. That much we do know.

And here is a quick remainder that gfx card is an electro-mechanical device:
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/furyx-pump-waterloop-about-to-die.423801/
    There is nothing cheap about replacing his cooler, and the fact that Fury X has non-standard PCB does not help either.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Fair point, though as long as you have decent capacitors, the strongest points of failure on an AIB is anything that needs active cooling (such as the GPU itself, but also including the RAM and VRM), and if that cooling isn't sufficient, that's where you'll start to see problems. All that being said, I was sort of lumping all of these components together.
    To further elaborate on your point though, some chips can handle higher temperatures than others. Case in point: your 290.

That's what I mean though - the hardware doesn't degrade in the same way a mechanical part does, or an incandescent light bulb. Literally speaking, yes, every time a transistor's gates are flipped you're degrading it, but the level of degredation is so insignificant that it's not worth concerning over. In practice, it's a non-issue. You could probably run a modern low-power CPU under full load 24/7 and although it won't run forever, I'm willing to bet that the transistors will outlive the average human. This of course is assuming there's proper cooling, a safe voltage, and no external elements to influence the integrity (such as a power spike).
    Yes, but assuming it was properly taken care of, the chances of it croaking during its lifetime under your usage is actually smaller than if you bought a brand new one. The reason for this is because that used GPU is proven to be operational for extended heavy use, but the new product could possibly have a slight defect that is unknown to you.
    The processor will protect itself from overheating. Sure, it sucks to have an expensive cooler die, but that doesn't mean the GPU itself doesn't still have plenty of life left.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    If you buy from a shop you can still get receipts without a name on them. If they include the receipt, claiming the warranty should be no problem. Also, in some countries it's actually illegal to refuse a warranty claim if the receipt is provided, no matter what the name on the receipt says.

20. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but mining cards aren't all that faulty. Typically miners keep them underclocked, undervolted, and clean so having a lower load is probably better than having no load then super high load from a game?