GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Prices are climbing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you have been on the lookout for a new GeForce RTX 2080 graphics card, you are probably doing what most others are doing, checking GTX 1080 and 1080 Ti prices first as a viable more affordable alt...

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Prices are climbing

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    When your Already Overpriced previous gen has better price/performance ratio to your current gen, there is something Very wrong.

The current situation is a perfect case study on term - Monopoly.

RzrTrek likes this.
  3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Where is this price graph from? Is that new card prices? Well obviously prices in stores will increase because these cards are longer in production. Look at used market for 1080Tis.

In my country on craiglist-like website you can get used 1080Tis with 2 years of warranty left for as low as €400 if you are lucky, but usually they are around €500.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Same in my 5th world country, however, the vast majority of them are Ex-Miner cards, hence the price.

G*addict likes this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As Cryo mentioned, you need to be very careful with overstock 2nd hand GPUs right now as indeed, these likely have been mining 24/7 for a year or two. Then again, if that warranty really is valid ... it's a pretty safe bet.

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Mining craze with 1080Tis lasted about 6 months tops. Also, miners undervolt cards to reduce heat and power bills. Also most of these cards have 2 years of warranty left. If I was in a market for used GPU I would totally buy 1080Ti for €400 even if it was a miner card. I think it's amazing value. If card breaks you have a warranty...

Passus likes this.
  7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No, you don't. Warranty is registered on the original owner, what are you talking about. You can't "unregister" warranty and then "re-register" it for yourself.

Unless you know the original owner, or somehow stay in touch with him/her, if the card goes borked, you are screwed.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Brand new RTX 2080 starts are €739
    https://geizhals.de/?fs=rtx+2080+&in=

Buying beat up second hand 1080 Ti for (500 euros) 83% of it's realistic current market value (600 euros)

IS INSANE

:)

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Of course 1080TI prices are on the rise, it's not at all surprising as they are rising to what's the market "standard", the cost of a 2080. Because without RTX, you're still fairly well off buying a 1080TI and not a 2080 as long as there are new ones (not miner's cards) available.

10. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Registered? What is this nonsense. In my country when you buy hardware you get warranty paper with your receipt. You don't register anything.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yes, and that receipt and warranty paper you register on manufacturers website to receive the warranty. So unless you are John Smith that made the initial order, you can't claim the warranty.

Noisiv likes this.
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I feel like the new gen is priced so high to make people buy the last gen because there is an over abundance of the last gen due to miners..

Kinda clever really, but not fun for gamers wallets.

cryohellinc likes this.
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    certainly true for the biggest etailer out there: Amazon

I have zero desires to keep in touch or to become a penpal with the previous owner of my hw. Nor would I even look at 2nd hand gfx card, if it wasn't less than half its price.

2nd hand 1080Ti for 500 euros, 400 if I am lucky... gimme a break

brand new 2070 is €520
    https://geizhals.de/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2070-twin-x2-n20702-08d6-1160va22-a1908655.html

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    First time in GPU history, that prices would rise on an older EOL card. Its a damning indictment of the RTX line. People still see the 1080ti as a better card (for the money) than its RTX equivalent (2080), whether rightly or wrongly.

15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Why are you comparing 2070 to 1080Ti? You are aware that 1080Ti should be compared to 2080?

Anyway it's your money, spend it how you like. In my country buying used hardware is very popular, I know many people who do, and they don't have a single problem. They even joke about people who buy new hardware for a premium and sell it in perfectly fine condition at half the price a year later.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    +1 to that, had the same impression. Just shows you yet again, that Monopoly is BAD because Nvidia can get away doing stuff like that. It's anti-consumer, to say the least.

While it won't perform the same (1080Ti still being a tad bit faster in raster, I agree with your point.)

1080Ti>2080 will switch only when heavily promoted features of RTX (mainly (in consideration of horrible ray tracing performance even on 2080Ti) for the DSR feature) will become widely available and implemented. With a current (non-existent) pace of Nvidia, that won't happen any time soon.

There is a good chance that whole RTX will flop, same way PhysX did back in the day. Great feature on paper, not so great (considering the resources needed) in reality. After a decade, we have only a couple of titles with full PhysX support, and it doesn't seem like it will change in any way any time soon.

My bet is there will be an RTX alternative which can be used by various manufacturers at the same time, in the style of Vulcan.

[​IMG]

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    What the hell? Are you a child or something? Many people buy used hardware and they don't have any problems. My friends do. Even high profile Youtubers like Linus do. They did whole series about building PCs from used parts and they have NEVER bought a broken GPU. Posting silly replies like that is so immature, you really need to grow up. So many man children among PC enthusiasts it's pathetic.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gents, the arguing needs to end here okay?

jura11 and cryohellinc like this.
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @Glottiz
    The only childish thing here is your reaction to truth in combination with kiddish attempts to insult me.

Stating that nobody has issues with second-hand hardware, is a blatant lie. Your sample group of 1 friend won't cut it either, that's hardly an evidence.

Second-hand hardware breaks, and it breaks often. If you have never stumbled upon that yourself, good for you, as for the majority of people that's clearly not the case hence why you need warranty.

20. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That depends. With EVGA's warranty, for the original purchaser, with a receipt the warranty starts from the day of purchase. For a second hand purchaser, the warranty date starts from when it was shipped from the factory and is by serial#. So, regardless of who originally bought it, if the GPU is still in its warranty window, you can claim the warranty. Of course all other warranty conditions apply regarding damage...etc...etc...

Okay, but I could critque you for the same thing, your opinion on the frequency of folks buying bad hardaware... you say that happens, but that isn't evidence. I don't know that the majority of people have issues with used hardware. How do you know that?

cryohellinc likes this.