Switch back to Win7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by cryohellinc, Nov 2, 2018.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Lately getting a strong urge for some reason (mainly working on my laptop with Classic theme enabled, I guess that's why) to switch back to Win 7. Playing old/dx11 games mostly in any case, rest of software works just fine on Win 7. Besides using Win10 LTSB since it was available.

The only question is Win 7 Dx11.1, does it support All Dx11 apps or some specific ones won't work these days? A.E. - are there apps highly dependant on in specific Dx11.2/Dx11.3?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  2. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Did not found any.
    And was using w7 with z370/8086/1080 non ti for like 1.5month. Installed w10 ltsb and suddenly had out of memory problem :)

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    No harm in trying.... I guess the only thing you won't be able to do is run DirectX 12... heck, I'm on Windows 10 at the moment and I don't even have any DirectX 12 games to play, playing Skyrim and GTAV mostly.

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Windows 7 never fully supported DX11.1, since DX11.1 required a higher WDDM (1.2). To have full support for DX11.1, you need Windows 8.0 and greater. If a game supports DX11.1 (Frostbite 3.x games all use DX11.1) and you're using Windows 7, you won't get the full performance benefits and your game will run slower than if you were using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

That said, I personally think that Windows 7 is an old and decrepit OS with less security, features and performance. I have no idea why anyone would still be using it, but whatever floats your boat :)

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    afaik there are no apps that require dx 11.2 or higher, so you should be ok.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sitting on LTSB for a very long time, no issues like that. What software you have experienced them in?

Yup, exactly. And those games that Do have Dx12/Vulcan, still support Dx 11options, so no issues there.

Less security/features/performance, how exactly? Windows 7 is in Extended support till 2020, hence it will continue to get updates for the time being. Features? What features? All windows 10 has is Bloat, unless you use apps from Windows store (which I have deleted), Cortana is a turd.

Performance wise, for what its worth, Windows 7 performs exactly the same if not better -

Cheers bud.

BetA and KissSh0t like this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Unless your PC is a toaster (and it doesn't appear as though yours is), I don't see how you can say Windows 10 is bloated. It's a much more modern OS with tighter integration with Microsoft and the Cloud. Yes I understand why some people may not like that, but that's the trend that technology is heading towards. On Windows 10, I have much more information available to me at any given time than I ever did on Windows 7.

As for security, it's no contest. Windows 7 is much more vulnerable to malware than Windows 10. When ransomware first became the new threat a few years ago, Windows 7 machines experienced much higher rates of infection compared to Windows 10.

Also, third party companies like Webroot have done their own analysis and found that machines using Windows 7 had much higher infection rates than Windows 10 machines for generic malware threats.

Windows 10 generally is just much more resistant to malware and takeovers than Windows 7 due to a more robust architecture that incorporates many security enhancements far and beyond those found in Windows 7 as seen in this comparison chart. And this chart was from an older version of Windows 10 as well. Newer versions have even more security features:

[​IMG]

Now performance is a bit of a mixed bag I admit. Generally speaking, DX11 games will run about the same on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. DX11.1 on the other hand will be significantly faster on Windows 10 due to its lack of support on Windows 7. The BF1 test in the YouTube video was using DX12, and the DX12 implementation in that game is subpar. The DX11.1 renderer is much better.

But DX12 is on the up and up, and it will only continue to get better and better compared to DX11 as developers become more skilled at implementing it. A good example of this is Shadow of the Tomb Raider. DX12 is by far the best renderer for this game, and can result in a performance increase of over 100% at times in CPU limited scenarios as well as more consistent frametimes. Compare that to Rise of the Tomb Raider where the performance increase from DX12 was much less.

Another good example of the benefits of DX12 over DX11 is World of Warcraft, which was well known for bad CPU performance due to being single threaded. Apparently with the latest DX12 update, the game's performance has skyrocketed.

More and more games will use and implement DX12 with greater skill. The best DX12 games so far have been the ones developed by Microsoft themselves like Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Forza Horizon 3 and 4 etcetera, plus a few third party games like Hitman, Ashes of the Singularity, Sniper Elite, Strange Brigade and a handful of others.

Upcoming big DX12 titles will be Metro Exodus and Resident Evil 2 coming next year, and likely more down the road.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Vulkan is fully supported on Windows 7. Only DX12 doesn't work. (That's because Vulkan is not actually supported my Microsoft at all Not on Windows 10, nor in any other Windows version. It's the GPU driver that provides the support.)

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    How's the switch going? I'm soured on win10 but I switched back to 2016 LTSB from 2019 LTSC (nearly 2 months old and barely any patches!).

10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Its working great! Thanks for asking.

I kept dual-boot, one for LTSB 2016, another one for Win 7 Ultimate. Love the classic theme, makes me feel really nostalgic. ;)

Game wise, no difference between win 10 what so ever, every title I have runs just fine if not better.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Just Americas Army:pG. But I recon on 1703 had same issue, while win7 never. Probably engine issue and memory leak(I think, maybe) but...just while switching to new map os says it has not enough memory, while I have 16Gb and game eats like 4Gb max so...
    Do not like w10 at all. Bloated, spying crap. LTSB little better, but still. And fkin autoupdates, despite killed service, turned off any kind of wu, this annoying crap still can turn itself on and suddenly I see: Wait while your PC configures/updates/whatever(don't remember that shutting down comm crap)...
    DX12 was gimmick till RTX(which are failing lately hard, DOA or BsoDs or dying while gaming). Still pascal seems to suck at it so...Vulkan is better IMO but not wide spread...

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @GREGIX
    I agree to all your points except one - Win 10 updates.

You can disable them, so if they are coming up that means you have done something incorrectly. + you still have to install them, it's really not advised not to use them. I understand the frustration of them coming up at the wrong moment, hence why tools such as Wumgr is a must.

There are multiple options you can use to achieve the desired results (and more) -
    Toggle Tweaker
    Blackbird
    Wumgr

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have never witnessed WU activity since I set my (only) WIFI connection as a metered one. Not a single one. I just download and install cumulative updates manually. And from time to time I (temporarily) uncheck metered setting to let WU to check whatever it wants.

14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
  15. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    How about Linux and Proton?

16. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Interesting. I'll have to give these a try.

cryohellinc likes this.
  17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Open shell is pretty useless unfortunately. It has the same problem as CS that the Settings app's contents don't show up in the start menu's search results. CS still works in 1809, I was using it for 2 months.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Vulkan is also supposed to be better on Windows 10. DOOM Vulkan even requires more than 2GB VRAM in Win7 but not on Win10.
    Disappointingly though, there doesn't seem to be any comparison between Win7 and Win10 when it comes to Vulkan.

20. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb

http://winclassic.boards.net/
    [​IMG]