Fallout 76

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, May 30, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Other games that don't have this problem. Which is the majority of games.

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's still being used in 2018 for starters.

For Fallout 4 it makes loading times between outside > inside and vice verca a few minutes and sometimes stuck loading forever because for some reason loading is tied to vsync, I needed to use a mod to disable vsync during the load screen just to be able to play the game which fixed the problem making load times a few seconds, the game was installed on Samsung 850 EVO.

The game engine is just so old, and the bugs in it are just so old..... I'm amazed it's still even being used considering all the problems it has.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    BlackZero likes this.
  3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Meh those bugs will get fixed by mo- oh wait lol.

[​IMG]

4. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I may be an isolated case [:)] but I haven't had any issues.

In fact, I used to enjoy modding the game assets such as textures, scripts, LOD maps etc. with whatever I wanted, and they are fully compatible with things like Blender. So age is relative, I think. I mean, just because they don't want to or can't fix some bugs doesn't mean the engine is inherently bad.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm certainly no game programmer or designer, so well..

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I probably wasn't very clear. The engine comment isn't related to the modding. I'm fully aware that the engine problems can't be fixed by mods. Mods only fixed other bugs or mechanics.

The problem is that it's ancient with a lot of restrictions. Like the loading of indoors, restricted number of cells you have at a time and a cap on number of objects in each cell. Plus as the video from RealNC shows that many actions are still tied to the fps.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Seems Fallout 76 has the same Keybind bugs as Fallout 4 which the community had to fix.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Over the years, computer resources available to run a game that is completely independant of any linear sequencing have increased, but they are not limitless.

If you remove loading screens and have more information pre-loaded into available resources, logic dictates the quality of both outdoor and indoor assets suffers assuming finite resources. in addition, all engines require a certain amount of preset restrictions to improve quality of life for programmers, otherwise you'd have to sit there programming for each scene independantly - that's not practical.

In my opinion, much of what people don't like about the engine - like loading screens - is down to seeing things that aren't present in many newer games and therefore assume it's ancient. Although, that's just design choices and nothing to do with the logic of the code, which remains constant regardless of how you present it.

In the end, any game that sets out to do what is possible on the Gamebyro/Creation engine, will always have huge resource limitaions, and these will have to manifest themselves in one way or another.

I, for one, quite like how they have evolved the engine rather than takng a completely different approach to presentation and resource usgae. I mean, a prettier looking game with lower draw distances or a different presentation style isn't necessarily the perfect answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2018
  8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Just had a go at the beta, and at max settings/1080p getting almost a constant 60fps with just a few drops to 50.

Looks absolutely brilliant, an obvious improvement over Fallout 4.

Here's a video, which honestly doesn't do it justice due to compression.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Game runs terrible with ultra shadows, friend with same gpu reported the same.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Convert to 1440p to get rid of most compression artifacts. 1080p videos converted to 1440p prior to uploading look way better on YT. You get about 3mbps bitrate for 1080p, maybe 4mbps top. But for 1440p YT gives you up to 13mbps or so.

BlackZero likes this.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Thanks for the information. I will experiment with the above settings.

In fact, I was thinking of recording at 1440p and uploading without any changes next time, and would have done the same here if it wasn't for the upload time.

12. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I'm going to see what the game is using CPU/GPU wise, i hope afterburner works.

Something isn't right with the engine, i hope they can optimize it more.
    I watched a youtuber with a 1080 Ti and he reported also very low performance in the 20-30s.

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Big problem, is the engine was never really intended for online/MP... so they've had to patchwork it's functionality into the engine. And, it comes across as you play... it just feels... janky.
    I know people dislike FO4's feel, which I had no issues with, but 76 feels far clunkier.

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

One person I saw playing it made the frame rate jump from minus 30 to plus 100 simply by closing the game and starting it again.

Solfaur likes this.
  15. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

After having put some more time into the beta, i'm pretty disappointed.

There's absolutely no feel to any quest or the actual game world. It's like this baron place where everyone's dead, and no quest has any real need or meaning, unless you enjoy listening to holotapes and running around doing unecessary chores.

Of course, if there were the usual factions and survivors to relate to, things would feel very different. It's like the current state of the game goes completely against the Fallout world I'm accustomed to, and it's not really much better than a reworked DayZ with only a 26 player limit per server.

It would be a pretty bad move on the deveoper's side to purposely present the game in this way if the final experience is completely different, and if this is a true representation of the final game, I don't see myself buying it any time soon.

signex likes this.

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    They've said there are no NPCs in the game. The only human characters in the game, will be other players.
    So... your quests... all that, will be holotapes.

They've completely missed the point with this.

cerebus23 and signex like this.
  17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Yea i'll pass on this one. GPU is hardly being used. CPU usage isn't maxed out, 50-60% range.

FPS is all over the place...

18. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I'm going quote myself from another forum where this very subject is being discussed.

Edit:

The beta has been extended to two more sessions on Tuesday and Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2018
  19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    extended it two whole days?! well now i guess they will have all the time in the world to fix the bugs, and the game engine problems with multiplayer, oh but they blizzard so most likely not.

This game needs a few more months in the oven for it to be ready and at lest not piss people off with bugs.

You can put out a mediocre game and get away with it, but you cannot put out a mediocre and broken game and get away with it. You will get savaged in the latter case.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Maybe they're hoping modders will load it up with content for them and charge you even more lol.

cerebus23 likes this.