AMD CEO Lisa Su promises to be competitive again in high-end GPUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Silva likes this.
  2. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD has an event next Tuesday (Nov 6), and first rumors were flying around about Vega 7nm launch, but there is also a statement from Lisa Su that it will be datacenter focused. So maybe Vega 7nm Pro, but no consumer cards quite yet.

Silva likes this.
  3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Fingers crossed for 2019 I guess.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    >talented employees walked over towards Intel leaving quite a bit of worry in the GPU front.

Thats not the way i would describe Chris Hook.

PrMinisterGR likes this.

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    *2025 maybe... :p

RzrTrek likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Its in best interests of everyone for AMD to develop something Solid in 2019. Otherwise we have Intel 2.0 situation, and nobody wants that.

fantaskarsef, Maddness and Silva like this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What a poor imagination right there. If you fell into coma now and woke up in 2025, you would likely by as confused as if you took someone from 18th century and shown him our world.

Or maybe you just fell out of the loop and therefore you are clueless. Either way, if I am to take your words in context of Lisa's... even marking you as clueless and ignorant is display of my kindness.
    = = = =
    As for the article. There will be few surprises. Not because AMD brings big guns soon, but because people forgot what is entry level GPU, what is mainstream level GPU, what is high-end level GPU and what is enthusiast level GPU.
    People now think that mainstream is $500, high-end $800 and enthusiast $1200. And only those people who supported this shift are to blame.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

xIcarus, Duke Nil, bernek and 2 others like this.
  9. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Silva likes this.
  10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Sad to say, but chances of catching up with the high-end in the next 3 years is most likely none. They are too far behind already.
    However catching up with the RTX 2070 with a budget GPU which doesn't use twice the power is what I am looking for and hopefully we will have that next year.

tunejunky likes this.

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I may not use AMD hardware but you gotta give them the utmost respect, someone has to push things forward! Hope they pop out some competitive GPU's next year!

12. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    People get thirsty for new hardware, esp. when there is a large gap. I don't think consumers are to blame, its more so just a lack of competition.

13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    It's more than likely for the 590

14. sfdmalex

sfdmalex Guest

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Ti (2fan)
    I think it's primarily consumers and cheap credit, or rather availability of credit. You would be surprised how much the younger generation is willing to spend on things some older folks would never imagine. People started to believe that just because they have the "ability" to buy certain things they can afford them. But it's ok, a global credit crunch is under way so things will change and people will have a lot less money to spend and prices will have to adjust.

People are blowing 1200$ on phones and on GPUs.

I head an IT department at work and there are quite a few kids here at work in junior support positions who buy the latest gear with borrowed money because I know what their paychecks are. I would never imagine spending a month's pay on a video card, but many people do.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Tell that to China... Biggest enabler to Chinese debt for general population is one of our companies in Czech Republic.
    And yes, in here it is popular as hell. Hard to understand that imbecile who thought that economical growth will be stimulated by "buying" something you'll be paying back next few years.

Before this system became wide spread infestation, people actually had money. Now they have debt instead.

Maddness and Silva like this.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Their own roadmap doesn't show 12nm, yet here we are...I hope they come up with something, sooner then later.

rburks likes this.
  17. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    we believe in you Lisa, we believe

im also waiting VEGA die shrink, if they improve clocks and HBM bus width, im expecting 20-30% more performance just with these changes

greetings

Silva likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure how they're behind, for products that match the 1080 and 1070 and lower they have them. They never had anything to compete with the 1080 ti, and nothing at all with new generation of Turing.

PrMinisterGR and tunejunky like this.
  19. rburks

rburks Member

Love your AmigaDOS bootloader pic, Gx-X! Haven't seen one of those in a while.

I'm also hoping they have something other than Navi in the works, since that is geared for the Playstaion 5. Seems to me the easiest way to kick it up a notch on their current lineup would be some GDDR6 memory (unless that's what is causing RTX cards to die.)

gx-x likes this.
  20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    My electricity provider is going to laugh all the way to the bank, but hopefully AMD have learned a thing or two from 1st gen Vega or else they're doomed to repeat their mistakes.