Blackmagic eGPU Pro with Vega 56 video card costs 1359 euros

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 31, 2018.

1. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Is that really so? Interestingly, this is what I found on AMD's site:
    Experience high performance gaming with Radeon™ RX Vega56

But, then again, AMD is notorious for being the source of confusing info so many times...;)

2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    AMD is not selling or marketing the product. Blackmagic is.

Considering the cost a decent EGPU dock itself, $1200 isn't bad for this.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

there is no MXM variant of Vega 56/64

4. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    -I didn't argue the price of this product vs the price of an eGPU dock. I only said that the price itself beats the logic considering the price of a notebook equipped with a good graphics card (or a desktop PC with such card, housed in a nice, small and portable case).
    -I quoted the part of the advertisement found on the AMD's official site, explicitly mentioning Vega RX 56 "family", that contradicts your statement ("isn't made for gaming"). Here's the link:
    https://www.amd.com/en/node/6081

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You're using AMD as if they're creating the entire product. The only thing they've done in this case is supply the GPU in this case. They're not advertising the Blackmagic eGPU, nor are they advertising the Vega 56 in it.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not surprised by the price considering EGPU units/docks are expensive themselves. Also $1200 bucks with graphics card included isn't a bad price. Also this wouldn't be good for gaming or VR for that matter due to the heavy bottleneck that there is with EGPU docks due to the thunderbolt port.
    This would be terrible for gaming because the EGPU docks are heavily bottlenecked by the thunderbolt port which means the GPU wouldn't be able to be used to it's full potential. There are videos on YouTube that compare a dedicated Laptop GPU like a 1060/1070 and a 1080 vs a GPU that is in an EGPU dock and the dedicated Laptop GPU outperforms the EGPU dock by a good margin because of the bottleneck.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    To be honest I think that it is priced atrociously. One needs 400W PSU and PCIe extension cable with slot. Considering test Linus did on around 3 meters of PCIe 3.0 x16 extension cables (10 of them or so in chain), there is no reason to think that special HW is needed to make connection work.

And considering that they are using Thunderbolt, so no direct PCIe...

8. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    I don't "use" AMD in any a way - I just presented you the proof that they themselves (AMD) think about their product (wherever and by whomever it may be applied) as of a PREDOMINANTLY gaming device.
    Yeah, but that's exactly the reason for me to question the meaningfulness of this product: if (like you stated) due to this bottleneck, the card isn't good for gaming/VR, what is it good for then? Buying Vega56 for watching youtube videos and browsing pages on Internet?

By the way: According to the description given within this article (which we are discussing now) the device is basically a "graphics processing and computational acceleration to customers working in professional video, playing 3D games or using the latest virtual reality software".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It will be ok for gaming however due to the bottleneck you won't get full performance of a Vega56 due to the lack of bandwidth of the Thunderbolt port. I am just posting information based on videos that I have watched about E-GPU docks. It might be good for extra Video rendering performance if said software has support for AMD graphics cards.

10. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    But if you're into a video rendering, why not buying a complete, full-fledged system (desktop or a notebook) that will allow you to do (just about) the same, and you get an extra (bonus) machine along with what you already have...? Complete machine, not just a plasticy-shining "dongle"...