AMD Radeon RX 590 Would Now launch 15 November

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The same complacency that infected AMD did so to Intel prior, and has done to intel since, do not use intels activities as an excuse for AMD failing to innovate their products. Jim Keller should not have to return to save them every time.

I have systems with AMD and Intel parts, I would not reward bad design decisions by buying a FX product, nor would i Reward lack of development by buying AMD rebrands.

This chip is for the diehards that contribute to AMD entering its floundering periods consistently.

I would choose Ryzen over Intel at this point because Intel have been exposed as killing their Validation team, which is why all these security and corurption flaws have turned up.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't understand the meaning of RX590. Is it to lessen gap between vega and rx?
    What it suppose to compete against? RX580 is already on same level as GTX1060. And Vega is handling GTX1070.

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    fill gap between rx 580 and vega 56, nvidia doesn't have anything in that space.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There's one benchmark floating on inet. That's all we've got. So, we actually do not know what RX-590 is. But it is likely based on something old enough as AMD does not want to give it name indicating that it belongs to new line of products.

Will it have impact? Probably not. It can be 20% faster per $, ahve better energy efficiency than anything nVidia has around it... And people will still prefer nVidia. And they will complain at same time that AMD's product is not competitive.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    TIL: Taking massive design gambles that miss the mark, requiring you to sell your foundry and go $2B into debt is "complacency" - who knew? Clearly they should've gone for $4B in debt and did some kind of interim architecture redesign, said no competent business person ever.

Jim Keller wasn't even the design lead on Zen. Lisa Su credited most of Zen's prowess to Mike Clarke and the MCM design to Mark Papermaster (Which was the real innovation). The rest of Zen's architecture improvements was mostly just following the same path Intel did. The whole circle jerk about Keller is overrated - he's a good engineer but if you think one person is making the difference on an architecture design you're clueless.

The Spectre/Meltdown issues affected like every single Intel processor ever.. trying to use those recent discoveries, missed by literally the entire security sector for over several decades, as evidence of Intel "killing their validation team" is a pretty big stretch of the imagination.

Embra and Fox2232 like this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Without Jim returning and teaching the team how to use chip optimisation tools, the same issue that ruined Bulldozer would have ruined Ryzen.

As for the Validation team being killed off,

https://danluu.com/cpu-bugs/

Things might be different now that the warehouse manager isn't CEO anymore.