German Editor Confirms Radeon RX 590 as 12nm Polaris 30

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Well, that settled it. A Germany based colleague Andreas Schilling is rather confident he's not under any embargo, so he posted two photos on Twitter of packaging showing some specs and yes, the Radeon RX 590 naming.

Read more

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    The price increase doesn't add up to the performance increase. What is the intent, mining?

Meanwhile, the mining sector isn't where it used to be...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Silva likes this.
  3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Unusual move unless it is a dual gpu for 300 Euro (massively hopeful I know) at this price point. Would be a good way to off load all those extra GPU's not sold since mining decline.

4. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Is it made by GF or TSMC?
    Lower clock speed then NV is the main Achilles heel for AMD, if they could boost to 2Ghz like NV then we could had a real competition.

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Man for the price premium they're adding over the 580 you would think they could at least use gddr5x and maybe add a few shaders to make it 2560 or something that would merit the price but it doesn't make sense in it's current state(as dat as rumours go)

Maddness likes this.
  6. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    Whoever decided this is a good idea, needs to be fired right away. To tape an old GPU, using the same configuration is just pure nuts.
    The only way I see this making sense is that somehow GF can use the same mask from 14nm process on the 12nm process, which I highly suspect is the case. This would mean that the RX590 is almost cost free for AMD since they didn't invest any extra effort on design/verification and any money on the mask for a new process. In this case, the higher frequency/better power consumption is worth the effort.
    A new mask costs close to millions of dollars, so if you make the effort to do a new tapeout, it might as well be a better design, not a respined one.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Radeon Chill is my favorite AMD technology. Can't live without it, especially in turn-based and realtime strategies.
    Sitting on still images and in menus with 99% GPU usage is stewpid.

Nvidia needs to pinch this!

[​IMG]

8. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    ..When they see Nvidia raising prices by 70% for a 30% performance increase, Why are you surprised that AMD would not want a piece of that action.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Because it's a different league at this point? They need to compete in their price bracket, and now is a good change for AMD. Release a competitive product, with solid performance and low price.

10. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    As another article said, the release is supposed to be released at 15.11., which is just over 2 weeks away. What bugs me, is that there is very little official info from AMD. Usually at this point in time before release there is already official info about stuff like number of CUs, memory type and amount used etc. Also, partners usually start teasing their versions of the card. Seems like AMD doesn't really want people to know about this upcoming card.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Rebrands are often released silently.

I mean whats' there to brag about?
    "We have mastered the 12nm one year later than our competition"

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its actually not that surprising, gddr5 costs alot more than when the rx480 launched at $229 , over 30% more expensive (can add $20-30)
    , secondly we know from ryzen 2 that 12nm pulls more power at a given voltage compared to 14nm .12nm requires less voltage than 14nm for a given speed , but since this product is clocked 100mhz higher than a factory overclocked rx 580 and 200mhz higher than a "stock" 580, it will almost certainly pull more power , i'd guess ~15%-25% more than a 580, which means more expensive components, bigger air cooler, better mosfets ect.

And for overclocking , if it can hit >1650mhz , imo it will pull an a$$load of power.

13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I swear I sold a video yesterday claiming the RX590 may be on 1070-1070Ti level. Interesting.

14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Man what is going on today with GPU's and their manufacturers intent as of late...?!?

I have been holding onto my four Titans as they still crush it still and I see no reason what so ever to spend even more now than I did then on cards before.

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    At that price point the RX590 will be on par with the price of a custom GTX1070 here in South Africa and honestly I just don’t see this new “old” card beat a GTX1070.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This card is to keep AMD ahead in the mid-ranged GPU market. I should be faster than the new 1060,maybe the same price range.

I am interested if it is more efficient than the 580.

17. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    1070Ti is 45% faster than RX 580. Unless AMD found some black magic to put on the RX 590, its wishful thinking.

Also, If AMD had anything on 1070Ti level for $300, they would be marketing it like crazy at this point.

Not to mention it would ruin Vega 56 sales.

18. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Didn't realize that the RX 580 went down to €230-€280. Actually thought it was still at around €350.

19. AMDfan

AMDfan Guest

GPU:
    280X
    And the 30% better performance for only a 70% higher price on the RTX series is OK because it's NVIDIA?
    That is is a bit short sighted aint it?

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    590 should be stronger than old with tiny vram amount and weak to date Fury series.

If not, let it burn. It is a trash GPU for 2019.

590 should be between Fury X and Vega 56.