Affordable Logitech Z607 speakers with 5.1 surround sound, Bluetooth and FM radio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    That looks pretty good to me, subwoofer seems small but nowadays I live in an apartment block anyway.

Anyone who would advice against a wireless solutions in this Bluetooth-fest for some reason? Does audio quality suffer?

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Depends on the implementation - if it's using like AptX HD it will be pretty good regular bluetooth might be noticeable but I don't think people buying $150, 5.1 Channel speaker setups are looking for audiophile playback anyway.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That FM radio though...

5. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    Yes, bluetooth audio is not high fidelity.
    ever.
    is it convenient? certainly, but so were 8 track cassettes vs. LP records (and also sounded worse than).

at best, under ideal circumstances, bluetooth might sound as good as a cassette tape. which was good enough for some.

in all honesty, every single bluetooth audio device ever made sounds better plugged in (if you can) where you will hear a clearly audible improvement in sound from turning off the bluetooth.

i've even stopped using it in the car...where there's way more noise than in the home.

6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    true dat, but you'd hear the difference anyways between wired and bluetooth

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah you'd definitely hear it but I think, like you said, its more about the convenience and people shopping at that price range probably prefer the convenience over the quality loss. If you want the best of both worlds it appears to have an aux port - you could run something like a chromecast audio to it for $35.

8. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Unless Logitech has improved its quality control from the z506 speakers I'd recommend a different brand. Within a week my sub would cut out completely from mild use. Also Logitech customer support was a nightmare to initiate the RMA process. Reviews are high for the z506 speakers but peer into them and these issues start to show. Cheap price yes. Worth it no. However, I could be wrong about this new product. That's just my experience.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    aptX-HD supports 576kbps. It is transparent. Support for it is another matter though...

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I'm still rocking my Z-5500 after what must have been like 10 years :eek: now that I think about it. I know it might be not ideal for audiophiles, but it served me very well over the years. Bought some second hand spare speakers after one of the started crackling like 2 years ago, but other than that, it's damn durable. I wonder if I'll ever find a worthy replacement, this is likely not it.

Silva and fry178 like this.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @tunejunky
    Not all BT is the same.
    Lots of Hi-res audio equipment out there supporting 900kbit and around 5-8 different codecs/processing from the different companies/brands behind it.
    Looked up the specs what 4.xx and 5.xx can do..

Besided that, its not even hires or thx certified, and the ppl buying for BT most likely ate not looking for high quality sound, the ones that do will most likely not even look at this.
    Similar to complaining that car yx can only do 60mph, when the speed limit is 55..
    :rolleyes:

12. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I am still using the speakers from my Z680s all these years later, although they are now surround speakers connected to my AV receiver - they have banana plug compatible screw terminals and standard speaker mounts on them even! Logitech made some amazing stuff in years gone by - I would bet these new ones do not meet the high expectations that we have, though.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I just sold my Z-5300e's. They served me well for 10+ years but I don't really have the room for a true surround set up and I wanted something better quality anyway. Got a pair of Klipsch R-15PMs as a replacement.

gx-x and Solfaur like this.
  14. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    I'm laughing at all the 'hate' for BT audio considering the explosion of BT head/earphones in recent years. As long as your connected device is going to be in the same room, the vast majority of people will be happy. The quality of the audio in the first place will be much more important. So if you listen to MP3's for example, again you'll be fine.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Still going to have horrible mid range, just get an Edifier 5.1 set.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Please dont buy it if you live in a apartment, good headphones will make you and neighbors happy.

GSDragoon and HandR like this.
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    It depends on the game. If it's an RPG or something like AC I like to use my HyperX Cloud II headphones, but if I play say a Battlefield game, then I sure as hell want my 5.1 Z-5550 (dat bass) to blast the crap out of the neighbours. It help having noisy neighbours, like I do, because if they would complain, I'd complain about them too lol. Also movies are way better on surround. :rolleyes:

Silva and fry178 like this.
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't get it: If you listen to mp3 (compressed, lossy audio) you'll be fine? As opposed to what: FLAC, WAV?

Also you're saying that what's important is the quality of audio source itself. Well of course it is, but I never quite understood that argument.
    I mean what's the alternative? Say you have a poorly recorded, or poorly encoded piece of audio (game, song wahtever); what you gonna do? Refuse to play it?

Anyway... these are not audiophile grade speakers. Bluetooth (aptX, HD, or not) is at least an order of magnitude more transparent than most speakers out there, including these.
    So yes, Bluetooth audio is more than adequate for these speakers.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Bluethooth audio came long way since AptX HD via 4.2+, as i have the Jabra Elite 65+ Active mainly for gym, i found myself using it everyday instead of mine wired E70(400$ in ear).

Convince, but mainly because the DAC on all the smartphone(except LG V30,G7,V40) is pretty bad, and i hate to carry extra dongles.

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    moab600 likes this.