Fallout 76 - PC System Requirements

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Bethesda has just sent word with the official PC system requirements for Fallout 76. According to the specs, PC gamers will at least need an Intel Core i7 4790 or an AMD Ryzen 3 1300X with 8GB of RA...

Fallout 76 - PC System Requirements

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Interesting. Intel i7 4790 has 8 threads, Ryzen 1300X has 4 threads. Despite that difference, they are the minimum requirement.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Doesn't Fallout 4 or Creation kinda cap out at 4 cores anyways? Maybe they've fixed that here though. (Would be nice but I suppose not although it should clear up once it's playable on PC.)
    That and Fallout 4 really liked high-speed RAM although I guess that's more common now than when it initially launched so it should help '76 here nicely if it's the same thing.
    (Though the 24 players and 4 player groups might see a bigger demand on memory and such this time.)

4. B-linq

B-linq Member

GPU:
    nvidia 1080ti
    Prob. typo - min. and recommended has same intel cpu.

EDIT: yeah, min has i5 6600k

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Heh, weird requirements. It's either random, based on what bethesda has lying around, or this game is very unoptimized as their gamebryo games usually are.

Probably both :p

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Is it my idea or min and recomended specs are very close?

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    It's Bethesda, unoptimized and buggy are their version of a watermark through their games. Lol

8. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
  9. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Sweet! lets see... i have the OS, the memory amount and the free disk space...... just need a modern computer :(

10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Those system requirements make no sense to me. Minimum system requirements state a 6th gen Intel (i5 6600K) CPU and recommended require a 4th gen Intel (i7 4790) cpu. Way to do stuff backwards Bethesda. It's no wonder their games are not optimized. Since this is only a beta lets hope they find their mistake and correct it.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    more threads.

Either way, these specs hardly ever mean anything.

12. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Nope, not any more. Most games are using all cores which is actually due to OS improvements rather than the games themselves. Will it use them efficiently? Who knows. But every game I play on Win 10 uses ALL of my cores.

Umm seems you don't understand the difference between i5s and i7s.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  13. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The Creation Engine, even the one in FO4, can handle as many threads as you throw at it. It's just that FO4 was coded with 4 threads in mind, so the base game doesn't really get much help from more. Once you start throwing mods at it, though, having more threads helps tremendously, as the engine will pre-cache more of the game in the background as you go along. The more elements added to the game through mods, the more pre-caching helps.

Worth noting is that FO4 doesn't handle Hyperthreading very well, so them recommending a CPU with HT cores is a bit surprising. In FO4, you can tell the game to use 8 threads on a Core i7, but you get a lot more performance from physical cores than you do logical ones once you have stuff that will utilize them - which is understandable if you know how SMT actually works. A program that is constantly needing to load new elements rather than repeating the same threads will always benefit far less from HT. This may mean they have streamlined the engine to make better use of the CPU cache, which in turn makes SMT work better.

14. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    I get what you mean Joneleth, but it seems strange nonetheless. Why not a 4570K then? The difference isn't even 5% compared to the 6600k, and it's faster than the 1300X (just like the 3570(K), 3770(K), 2600K, maybe even the 2500K)

Why can't those CPU's not run the game if the 1300X can?

Probably they can, but Bethesda doesn't want to support it officially, so they can blame crappy performance on the "unsupported" cpu's instead of the ancient engine.

15. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    My guess? Core speed and CPU cache. The real requirements are probably "minimum 3.7GHz clock speed and 8MB cache", but nobody would know what that means anymore.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Bethesda really do need to make a new "from scratch" engine.... Gamebryo just looks so old looking and...... why do they still use it, I mean you need to load outside and inside separately, they need an engine that does both at the same time xD

17. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I am calling shenanigans, this game will be released for the consoles with aging tech, and those CPUs aren't a match for much of anything. Plus, there are countless games that run well with lowered specs than recommended. It just upsets me that soon they will require 6 or more actual cores and my i7 7700 only has 4.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Have to say: I have become quite despondent with Bethesda of late.

-Quake Champions level designer/editor missing, bad collision detection/FOV
    -Doom level designer/editor missing
    -Elder Scrolls being designed as a Barbie Doll/DLC toy game
    -Fallout Shelter 'empty vault' bug
    -Wolfenstein 3D is not free, yet was released in 1994!

And now, Fallout 76, which after watching the streams, I have firmly decided to simply not bother at all, in the slightest. I'm done with this.

-SP aspects are lacking because of the game being designed to push MP
    -MP is basically farming, like Destiny, making every session a case of 'everyone-speedruns-the-encounter-to-get-the-phat-lewt-first' meaning that, in the most simplest terms, any 'fun' and 'involving' gameplay one might enjoy from an MMORPG is nullified into being 'everyone-is-in-it-for-themselves'.
    -DLC
    -Barbie Doll
    -Netcode

And the biggest one, and the one that is OT for this thread:

-GRAPHICS ENGINE

The game looks terrible. It just does. AFAICT, The Creation Engine is based on The Gamebryo engine...21 years ago (citation) and boy, does it show. Now, I know they talked a big talk about the improvements they made to the Fallout world for lighting etc, but, c'mon...it looks awful. Textures are sooo DX9, lighting and shadows look like they are about to break, pop-ins/outs everywhere, clunky animation, crungy/grungy colors, not using opensubdiv, sucky ambient occlusion.

No wonder the requirements are what they are, the engine is creaking under the antiquity of its code!

Bethesda have access to some great engine technology (id Tech 6 & 7) why oh why would they still be using a game engine based on a 21 year old graphics engine, designed for the gamecube!

Take a look at RAGE2 or DOOM Eternal, running the id Tech 7:

and now look at some random gameplay from any one of these people playing the beta of Fallout76:

Maybe that's not fair, I mean...RAGE3 and DOOM Eternal run id tech7, not even released...ok, then let's take a look at DOOM (2016) running id tech 6...in glorious 2160P:

I'll say it again, they have improved the lighting of the graphics engine, but that does not make the textures and shaders look any better. Not to mention the clunky feeling I can see when people are playing the game. Why not use the graphics engine from id tech for Fallout? Now, I know you can incorporate a graphics engine into another games engine, if you do not want to completely replace the game engine of a franchise. I do understand this point completely. In a way isn't that what they claim to have done, change the lighting; try and do justice to 'the world of Fallout'?

If that was truly their goal, then why didn't supplant the graphics engine code they used for id tech 6 or 7? That would have really made Fallout 76 look totally and utterly amazing.

If you are building a free-roaming game, where the 'world' is important for the immersion, then why make the game look so bad? Don't you think this would detract from the experience?

Fallout deserves better than what Bethesda have done. Much better.

You can't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

That's just how they do things.
    https://help.bethesda.net/app/answe...elder-scrolls-v:-skyrim-special-edition-on-pc

Either they expect you to do all the leg work of comparing CPUs, or are trying to get the message across that there isn't a huge difference across generations.

20. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I'm not interested in this type of game, even though Fallout 3 greatly impressed me when it was released, but to celebrate Fallout, I just bought the very first original Fallout and will try it out! I sometimes like to play some older titles from nineties, since I like the sound of Sounblaster and various sound cards from that time. Even today it seems just through pictures that Fallout's graphics, the visual style, has stood the test of time.