Windows 10 version 1809 sees another data loss issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm finding this all pretty hilarious. Like seriously, this is like telling a kid to stop touching the stove and yet IMMEDIATELY after burning himself, he goes ahead and touches it again with his other hand.

You sure about that? MS is still "spying" on you if you use Windows 7, they're just not as transparent about it.

What's there to not like about the architecture? Practically every OS except Windows and OS/2 uses a Unix-like structure, including Linux and Mac. Do you mean you don't like how to operate it, as a user? Because that I can understand, though it is worth pointing out that there are a lot of varieties with very different user interfaces.
    Anyway yes, there is something seriously wrong with Windows' overall performance, however, it is worth pointing out that Linux distros like Clear are built specifically to be highly optimized and take advantage of all available instruction sets. When you compare a distro where the binaries are built with generic compatibility (so it'd work on something like a Core2, for example) then Linux still tends to have a performance lead over Windows but it's not quite so drastic.

But... Clear Linux is a solid example of the true potential that CPUs have to offer that we're not getting. Even when comparing it to other distros, it can sometimes offer more than double the performance for the exact same program.

HandR likes this.
  2. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    For many years now, I keep warning people about the real face of this "company" (a gang, actually). And, yes, I use their damn OSes starting with 95, for only one reason: gaming - they managed to "reserve" the PC playground for themselves thanks to DX and thanks to the cunning marketing strategies. For all other purposes, I use a secondary OS (Linux).

3. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    It's a small indie company what can you expect

4. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I haven't clean installed since Windows 7.

Also no issues so far. I hope nothing wrong happens.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been running the 1809 build for weeks now on my main desktop, I have not ran into the issue at all with zip files being deleted or any thing like that. But then I am not using the build in windows Zip program, but instead I'm using 7zip. So it has to be the build in windows zip program that's doing it. Ever day I download many zip files and I would had notice if I had that issue.

I also have 1809 on an second computer which I did used windows built in zip program and even then I haven't seen that issue yet, same with the basement computer at my dad house.

386SX likes this.
  6. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    What did you really expect when a company dismantles their professional QA team and decides to use amateur nerds for beta testing?
    And what good can come from a company that doesn't even watch and listen what those amateur nerds say on top of that?
    The file deletion bug that postponed 1809 was reported few months ago on their silly feedback system and yet they completely ignored something so crucial because it didn't gather too many "likes".
    But who cares for some work stuff and games/photos deleted. It's not like the 98% of Windows user base have any other choice anyways.

7. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    Im one of the lucky people who didnt receive the update. This is unexceptable from your truly. This comes down to lazyness and carelessness

8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Software debugging, testing and Q&A are NOT pushing a "like" button.

9. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    Russian meddling. There's no way MS could screw this up by themselves.

386SX and mbk1969 like this.
  10. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Same, no problems at all extracting using the built in. Topics like this are overly dramatic. "plague" is a pretty strong word for 3 reports of extraction issues. I am not even sure what the source is of the first report; I see "another report" coming from Ask Woody and "a third" from Reddit. I assume Hilbert himself must be report 1?

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I'm Not surprised. I think that this is the worst Release of Windows 10 since the one that had booting issues which caused havoc for users which prevented them from using their PCs until MS found a fix to tell the users how to fix it. I always use a 3rd party unzipping tool because the builtin Windows one lacks support for .rar and .7zip files which are common compression files.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I sincerely hope that Dona is "moved" off the windows team and we get someone who respects the "Blocker" status.

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    To be honest I don't remember the last time a small indie company nuked my downloads folder with their flagship product.
    Microsoft is seriously spying on you even if you're not using Windows.
    Joke's on them, I've literally never once paid for any version of Windows. I've always gotten it free one way or another. My Windows 10 license? About a half my friends are programmers or engineers of some sort so they have infinite licenses from work. And yes they're actually allowed to do whatever they want with them.

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Thats cool that you have access to resources for Windows 10 Licenses. With me I look for websites that sells Windows 10 pro keys cheaply. I also don't remember any versions of Windows getting rid of my files either unless I deleted them.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm really starting to feel like Microsoft just cannot get a single build right without having to patch to fix something that slipped through testing before pushing a new version of the OS.

I guess this is what they mean by Operating System as a Service, they are just constantly just trying to fix it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    M$ poured vodka in Windows 10 ? :D

That explains a lot!

386SX, Lilith and mbk1969 like this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    You do not have the slightest clue about HOW dumb M$ actually IS. :D
    I mean ... in theory ANYONE who is able to run an EXE, copy a file and get through a Windows 10 setup successfully is able to get a genuine Windows 10 license of his/her choice and save it to his/her MS account for re-activation.
    I won't tell anything more specific about this method, so please do not ask (not even by PM!), but it exists and it works, even with 1809.

@mbk1969 / @sverek : What a tragical waste of one of the most beautiful resources, don't you think? ;)

sverek likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Especially without proper appetizers.

sverek and 386SX like this.
  19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I thought vodka is the appetizer for vodka as a meal before there is vodka for dessert? So basically you put it all in one big cup so there is less to wash ... "process optimization". ;)

sverek, sykozis and mbk1969 like this.
  20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is bigger problem with vodka poured into Windows - the high temperature. Only perverts like warm vodka.