Advice on Black Friday upgrade build required pretty please!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Grimbarian, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Howdy!

Planning to upgrade my old but well loved AMD FX 8350 PC to become a shiny new beast of a AMD Ryzen 2700x build but would like some advice primarily on which motherboard to go for, this is what's set so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (decided to spend some more over the normal 2700 as been advised OC'ing the 2700 can be a bit tricky?)
    RAM: 16gb or 32gb? Presumably fastest clock speeds I can afford is the only clincher?
    GPU: AMD RX580 8gb (this one I already have from my current build)
    Motherboard: This one I'm most lost on?

In terms of RAM it seems like games are slowly starting to use a lot more available RAM so thinking if I can find a good price then it could be worth going for 32gb instead of the usual 16gb to future proof? Or would that be a waste of money at this point and I should just go for the fastest 16gb the chosen Motherboard supports?

Motherboard: obviously here I can spend anything from $100 to $500 (well I'm buying in Euros but anyways!), but which do I go for? I'll want stability, I'll want to optimise the parts I have as best as possible but I have no real brand loyalty, are there any features I should be looking for in choosing my motherboard? Pre-Black Friday I'm probably looking at maximum $300-$350 price range. The only thing that would help me make a final choice is warranty length, ideally something along the lines of 3 years if possible.

All feedback gratefully appreciated!

warlord likes this.
  2. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Placebo look ASRock X470 Taichi or if you need 10Gbit NIC X470 Taichi Ultimate.

warlord and Grimbarian like this.
  3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks for the reply. Just checked and ASRock only do 1 year warranties on their motherboards so that would definitely put me off, are there any specific features of this motherboard that make it something you recommend?

warlord likes this.
  4. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Usually one year is enough to point out defective hardware. :)

5. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    True, but I had a situation recently where two motherboards failed, one was over two years old and had a three year warranty so I got money back for it from the retailer I bought it from (was an old model so they offered a cash alternative which I took), the other one was 13 months old and the warranty was 12 months so I was SOL! I figure it doesn't hurt to get one with at least a couple of years warranty if possible.

warlord likes this.
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Lucky guy, my PC died twice at more than 5 years, but I do understand. Longer support the better. Ignore those with 1 year warranty then if you feel uneasy.

7. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
  8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
  9. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Karamba :D You love countries that start with the letter S :p Look on the alternate.es how long is the warranty period.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ram - Definitely get some memory based on Samsung B-die , 2x16GB it's enough ( OC to DDR4-3533Mhz or 3600Mhz cas 14 is the best ), with 32GB of memory you will be limited to maximum DDR4 3200Mhz speed. With 16GB of B-die DDR4-3600Mhz.

Ram = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530 or https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232217

Motherboard = https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP7EH6315 or https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157835

Grimbarian likes this.

11. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    @chispy good info on the Ram thanks appreciate that. Re the motherboards, can you tell me why you're recommending those please? Don't want to sound ungrateful but just throwing random motherboard models at me isn't much use and isn't what I'm looking for, I'd like to know why they're recommended, what hardware/feature aspects make them something I should be looking at?

chispy likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-rog-crosshair-vii-hero-(wifi)-review,1.html ,

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asrock-x470-taichi-review,1.html

Stability , Overclocking features , Bios updates , Ram compatibility , easy of use , good vrm design , good cooling on the vrm. Those are some of the pros and why i do recommend those boards , i own the CH7 is a dream to run a 2700x at 4.3Ghz and ram at DDR4-3600Mhz cas 14 no problem and stable as a rock. Please read the reviews and do your own research so that you can make a smart decision :) , good luck and post back what was your choice.

Kind Regards: Chispy

13. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Think I'm possibly going to go with the Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard, still greatly appreciate people's suggestions of an alternative with their reasoning for choosing that motherboard :)

14. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I would assume you are already after upgrade but i will still provide an answer. 2700x vs non-x choice is strictly related to choice of motherboard or to be precise: chipset. In my recent thread which you can find here conclusion is fairly obvious: 2700x with its XFR can clock higher and in more reasonable way than putting permanent overclock on 2700. This mean you can buy 2700 and cheaper board with any compatible chipset (b350, x370, b450, x470) and overclock it as high as you can, which in most cases i see is between 4,2-4,3GHz top, or buy 2700x and any motherboard with x470 chipset to rely on boost with XFR which can be higher than mentioned overclock and works only when it is really needed instead of wasting high clocks on web browser, i mean, using overclocked cpu 24/7.

Personally i went for x470 taichi ultimate but this is not what i would recommend in 99% of cases. I did buy this one because i went crazy with this upgrade and bought everything as high as possible no matter if it makes sense or not, just wanted to have top hardware just for sake of it and a bit hoping for extended compatibility support with future hardware. Few weeks ago one of my steam friends asked me for help in build and from shop he linked me i chose one cheaper msi x470 gaming motherboard and he is happy with it but he is a regular user and that was his first self buit pc.

Same goes with ram. I purchased 2x16GB 3000MHz CL16 g.skill. If you are considering purely gaming and web browsing then such amount is overkill for next few years, maybe even a decade, maybe. Currently most games will not utilize more than 16GB of ram, even at 4k but on the other hand there is more and more games utilizing more than 10GB. For example rise of the tomb raider at 1920x1080 can utilize such numbers. In this very moment 16GB is perfect amount for every gamer but we have to look into future: since few years there is more and more talk about gaming at 4K, at higher resolutions there is more need for vram and ram so we can safely assume requirement of 16GB or higher soon may become a standard, or not. Thinking in longer perspective we could face funny situation where gpus will have more vram than we have main ram.
    Summarizing on ram: 16GB is more than enough at the moment and buying 2x8GB as fast sticks as you can afford will give you the most performance you can achieve especially on ryzen cpus which are known to work way faster with higher memory frequencies and in some games gains are mindblowing. Buying similar but 2x16GB will make your config futureproof and i can only recommend it if you are going to upgrade your pc in future with last supported top cpu, which will be ryzen 2 refresh if i am correct and that would be something called 4700x or 4800x in 2020 but we are long from it for now.

Grimbarian likes this.
  15. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Much thanks for the reply @spectatorx I think I'm almost certainly set on the motherboard being the Asus Prime X470 Pro, I've been reading good things about it and I like Asus' warranty.

I will try to go for the fastest Samsung B-die 32gb RAM I can find for the right price, if I can't find a great price I may go with 16gb for now I'm just seeing more and more games using 10-12gb+ at times which doesn't leave a lot for the background so I figure if I can afford 32gb then I'll go for it.

16. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Unfortunately from Amazon (only place I'll buy these days), it's either 1-3 months wait on Prime to get it at 20 EUR more or it's 40EUR more :( I'll check the other EU Amazons, I thought I'd read that the build quality was almost identical but further googling shows you have a good point so I'll change my model to the Rog Strix one.

17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Just to extend info on ram frequencies watch this video to see how much performance you can gain with higher frequencies:

Grimbarian likes this.
  18. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Excellent thanks :)

19. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I also need a new SSD as I gave up my 500gb one for my new PS4 Pro, assuming there's nothing new in SSD technology that would in particular benefit the Ryzen? Any advantage to those PCI(E?) SSD etc? etc? Thanks :)

20. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Overall advice: if you are going to buy new ssd for new hardware buy m.2 or nvme ssd, preferably nvme if motherboard supports it. Buy sata ssd only for old hardware in order to revive it and make it more responsive.