Reviews: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (MSI Armor & ASUS Turbo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    AIB partners want to get some profit too... BTW, there was 500$ 2070 on Newegg, for example. 50$ more for an 500$ MSRP card isn't much. The problem is not with the extra cost of AIB models. The initial problem people are complaining about is NV's MSRP.... Getting a 1080 performance for 60-100$ more? And the RTX feature will run like crap on a 2070. Ridiculous. If you checked Techpowerup's, you know that only 6% of the tech fans preordered RTX cards. And preorders can be cancelled, so.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I'll bet RTX series will be the worst selling GPUs in Nvidias history. Eventually Nvidia will have to knock down prices to encourage greater adoption. Otherwise game studios will not have much incentive to do RT games.

-Tj- and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The MSI Armor is a steal at 530€, it's much cheaper*, faster, energy efficient (very green), cooler, quieter and more future proof than the most expensive Vega 64.

If you're on a tight budget like myself and can live without flashy +100€ rgbs (or looking for 1440p or entry level 4K gaming) and also want a silent graphics card, then the Armor is for you.

* seems to be region based. In my country everything AMD is extremely expensive (more so Vega 56 & 64) and fall into the same price range as GTX 1080 Ti and above.

:p:D:cool:

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is not a thread debating this vs vega 64, please stop making posts about it.

AlmondMan likes this.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I don't know what to say? Where should I post about it then (or "debate" as it were...) the Nvidia hardware subforums?

6. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
    Portugal??? 619€ asus vega 56 and 64 800€ hahahah

RzrTrek likes this.
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is a non A revision, and that is now reflected properly in the review.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I could, but NV would cut my balls off, and I am quite fond of them.

XenthorX and tunejunky like this.
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Ehm, my brothah .. read the ASUS Turbo review?

tunejunky, Fox2232 and RzrTrek like this.
  10. Chert

Chert Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060ti
    This is the card to get for a SFF PC. Important to dump the hot air out of the case in tight confines.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You don't post it to the point it's considered trolling, which is over and over.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Where are you getting those prices from??? I can see the 56 going for around 500€ and the 64 for around 560€. Still expensive but not that expensive...

13. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    just a couple of f.y.i. points about Nvidia's retail strategy.

1) they don't mind the commentary on expense, they like it as it keeps their cards as a premium product, at premium prices.

2) the actual die size on Nvidia gpu's is so massive they could never with current designs match AMD's profitability. AMD gets more dies per wafer than Nvidia and that will only increase in the future as they've based the majority of their R&D on scalability.
    in other words, after Navi is introduced all future AMD gpus will be SoC's just like Ryzen.
    and yes, Ryzen is a SoC.
    AMD will be able to hit any graphical spec just by adding modules n the SoC.
    this "ain't" pie in the sky, they've had proof of concepts at 14nm...and the 7nm process is both less expensive and more efficient at scale (meaning factories in operation...like now).

16. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    I get your point, but comparisons with Vega 64 are inevitable, as it is the closest AMD graphics card in price.

When deciding on a card, traditionally it's what the competition offers for similar price, that we know which one is the best deal.

At the moment, the RTX 2070 is the way to go, Vega 64 need a price cut to become more appealing.

RzrTrek likes this.
  17. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Got that right , the only the thing the 2070 and 1080ti are close to is price , for me anyway , my Gigabyte oc 1080ti cost me $629.00 vs FE$600 , the experience of the 2080 at the cost of the 2070FE ,sounds good to me.

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great reviews as always Hilbert , thank you for the hard work. It seems this product is positioned in an already saturated segment ( mid range ) , and as such i think price would be the deciding factor when buying a new graphics card. Many options is a good thing but the price to performance ratio on this card it's horrible :/ and i do not think it can run ray tracing at a normal 60 fps on the upcoming games in the distance future as even the 2080Ti strugles to run the demos at 1080p ~50-60fps rts on , so that cannot be the selling point of this video card. Overall in my own opinion it's just a Meh ... video card at most , nothing to write home about. Just buy an used GTX1080 or 1070Ti or Vega and you will save some money for more or less close to the same performance. They are some great deals on ebay and other places for used GTX1080s ,GTX1070Tis and Vegas , i believe it's a much better value as performance per dollar goes.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    My intention was not to troll your forums @Hilbert Hagedoorn might be worth checking out the daily advertisement (by the same guy...) in the AMD subforums.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Depending on the game it seems like a good performance increase for those who have a 1070 Ti or below on Nvidia side of things. Or heck a 1080 Ti still seems like a viable option.