new GFE update added RTX cards support , DLSS !!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kx11, Oct 16, 2018.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

i think this means from now on DLSS profiles for supported games will be added through GFE , so you need GFE for that but Ray Tracing doesn't require GFE

DL link
    https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

pharma and Maddness like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Nice. Hopefully it doesn't take Nvidia to long to get the profiles out to make this happen.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And which "DLSS libraries" are available?

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    That's a bummer if we have to use gfe for anything. I was under the impression though that games would need updates in order to use dlss/ray tracing.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I read that NVidia create the algorithm for DLSS by running the game through their AI based computer.
    GFE detects which games you have and downloads the algorithms for those installed in your OS.
    I dont think there is a need to update games. But devs may find ways of displaying textures to make the end result look better. It remains to be seen.

Early images I saw appear to show less colour detail.
    Possibly due to a smear effect averaging max/min brightness when upscaling from 70% of the res displayed at.

Maddness likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I was almost sure they'd force GFE onto people with such extras. Nvidia already knows people are deleting half of their drivers, they're forcing telemetry and GFE onto people, with registration, via stuff like this now...

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, not a fan of the GFE, I installed it briefly to test out my Shield's game streaming and then uninstalled it again as I only use the Shield for Netflix/KODI.

If there is a game that benefits greatly from DLSS then I may reinstall it but until then, they can keep their bloat/spy/garbage/shovelware the hell off my PC.

tensai28 likes this.
  8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Hold on. So if I was to enable dlss (whenever available), I'd be essentially playing my games in 1440p upscaled to 4k? If so, I have no interest in it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can use DLSS2x which uses Native res.
    You dont get the performance boost of rendering at lower res.
    I dont know exactly what benefits it will give over any normal type of AA.

Maddness likes this.
  10. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    i still don't quite get it, so is dlss like a fancier and ia version of the checkerboard rendering, found in ps4 pro and watch dog 2?

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    To create the DLSS algorithm, NVidias computers render the game in way higher res than we play in.
    This allows them to capture where missing detail is and how to best present it while giving good AA.

As you play the game, for normal DLSS the 4K (UHD) image is rendered at 1440p and scaled up to UHD.
    The Tensor cores apply the algorithm, adding in missing detail and AA. This is why it is termed free, the main GPU is not required and can run without applying AA.
    And for normal DLSS an extra benefit of higher framerate because it is rendered in lower res.
    There will be a slight extra delay getting the image to the screen, Tensor cores need time to run.

It wont be perfect but it may be good enough for most.
    Connoisseurs of high detail, high res gfx might take issue.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    SpookySkeleton and Maddness like this.
  12. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    New GFE update
    Battlefield 1/ dx12 will not load on my system , had the same problem with beta , had to

reinstall 315.0.164 and set it up for shadow play, and dont open GFE ,other wise it will download the latest version.
    New GFE update is working now in DX12

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    New GFE update
    Battlefield 1/ dx12 will not load on my system , had the same problem with beta , had to
    reinstall 315.0.164 and set it up for shadow play, and dont open GFE ,other wise it will download the latest version.

14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes and then there is DLSS 2 which renders at the native resolution, but will have a slight performance impact. I'm very interested to see this in action.

Mufflore likes this.
  15. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Nvidia computers?, so that means the card isn't doing the work you send the image to nvidia and then they send us back a batter image, is this throught internet so that's why gfe is needed?, this sound quite complicated sorry for my dumbness.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    NVidia are given the game.
    Their computers create an algorithm for that game.
    You install the game on your computer.
    GFE downloads the algorithm for it.
    You play the game and the Tensor cores on the gfx card use the algorithm.

NVidias computers are not in use while you play the game, they already created the algorithm for it.
    DLSS does nothing without the algorithm, it is the Tensor cores + algorithm.

It will help you to find the NVidia DLSS documents they released before the gfx cards went on sale.
    Or at least articles on it by Guru 3D and just about every other hardware site.

SpookySkeleton and Maddness like this.
  17. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    oh ok going to try to find them and learn more thanks.

18. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    New GFE update is working now!

19. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I hate crap like this, forcing GFE onto customers and expecting us to just take it. I've never installed GFE (did so once, by mistake) and I refuse to do it now......

Mufflore likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm honestly surprised that people were not expecting Nvidia to force their eco system onto people with DLSS. We know how Nvidia does business, it was actually pretty easy to guess they're trying to make you do things you'd rather avoid to use DLSS. They never said it to be fair, but I expected it.

I wonder how many people weren't aware of how DLSS works and that you'd need GFE for it to work while they blindly grabbed the RTX cards via preorder in the first place.