Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Odysseys map size really shows how constrained Origins map really was.. I mean, Origins was fantastic and open, and before Odyssey the landscape seemed gigantic.. Odyssey makes it seem pale in comparison.. One of my biggest gripes in Odyssey is how long it takes to get to some of these points of interest or quests.. Like I should pack a lunch and maybe check my blood sugar before setting out.. lol

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Saw this pop up earlier. Might be useful.

3. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Just started playing it and performance is ok but not great with my AMD FX8350/ RX580, wondering if there's any performance tweaks recommended? I tried the SpecialK "mod" but other than screen tearing it added nothing noticeable to performance for me.

4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Doesn't 100% CPU usage seem awfully high for such a mainstream game? Lack of optimizations? What gives (haven't tried it myself) only read through you guys posts?

5. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Lock it to 30-35 fps with rtss….. Helps quite a bit

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I get around 50s outside of towns and 30-40 in towns but sometimes it feels laggier even if the fps says it's 30+

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, it was the same for me.

The game has framepacing issues, I believe, so try using RTSS to cap the framerate at 60 fps or even 30 fps as, trust me, even at 30 fps the game will feel so much smoother to play due to having a locked framerate.

60 fps isn't too bad either but is more prone to stutters and, of course, has a variable 40-60 fps on my system which even G-SYNC cannot disguise. 30 fps is initially a little off-putting as the controls obviously do feel a little laggier and camera motion is slower but I find I quickly adjust (takes around a minute) and then I am able to enjoy a similar but better than console experience (better because the framerate is locked at 30 fps and I have a near-native 4K rendering as the overhead allows me to set Resolution Scaling to 140% - 150% works too but on my PC it breaks Fullscreen mode and forces the game into Borderless Window instead).

Alternatively, try Kaldaien's AC Odyssey mods (Slow or Fast variant) as they include a Framelimiter as well (don't use more than one framelimiter though).

If you have G-SYNC (or FreeSync) then you could also try limiting the framerate to the lowest FPS you see, e.g. if the game runs above 40 fps all the time, even in the towns, then set the FPS cap to 40 fps. If it's 50 fps (aren't you the lucky one!) then set it to 50 fps. The point is that the game feels at its best when the framerate remains locked IMO; if it drops then it introduces stutter and inconsistent controller response.

8. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks I'll give that a try :)

9. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    DocStrangelove likes this.
  10. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks for the suggestion, I set it to 40 and the whole game felt a lot smoother :)

11. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    I was able to test SpecialK + Reshade on ACD, and I can not find any improvement on my config for the stuttering issues with SpecialK. It seems like those stutters happen when there are a lot of NPCs. But the most interesting is that these stutters (not related to framerate, so, but to the streaming engine and the management of the threads) only occur on the SSD that embeds my OS. If I move the game on my HDD, or better still, on my second SSD (the one that does not ship the OS), this kind of stuttering disappears ... So, I think that Kaldaien has highlighted a part of the pb, but I'm not sure that the concern is only related to the game, it may also be related to the way Windows 10 handles all of this (may be a conflict regarding the availability of the SSD resource for Windows and for the game) ...

12. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    ikr this game is on a scale I have never seen before and I've played every huge open world game there is. This is how much area I have so far visited after over 40 hours of play time put in some of which was entering areas that are way above my current level so I had to get out of there p[retty quick and back to safety. 24% story completion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On Reddit below is the full map

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/9anahz/assassins_creed_odyssey_complete_world_map/

Game is insane.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How is the game progression percentage calculated in this game; is it based on how much of the map you've explored or how many of the quests you've completed?

I have been playing for over 75 hours now and yet I still at 38% completion. Yet 20 hours ago it was 34% so despite doing what I thought were main story quests I have only done 4%!!!

Stone Gargoyle likes this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think the map is 256 sq. km., approx 16 km x 16 km as fro the mid-point on the map it was about 8,000 metres to the island in the bottom-right corner of the map. Yeah, that's pretty big but it's surprising how quick it can be traversed... or maybe it's just with all the abilities I've got I move much faster? lol

15. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    A little question: do you encounter stutters without Reshade ?

16. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    I... what? Would you rather it didn't use your CPU fully to get the best performance?

17. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I did what was suggested here and locked it to 60fps. No more stutters. Got it installed on an SSD and put most details on HIGH and some on Medium to always support 60fps even in big cities.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Or maybe its something with pagefile. Try to move that page file on this separate ssd.

19. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    One thing I noticed is that if the frame rate is left uncapped the cpu usage is near constantly full. Even if the gpu has already reached max usage.,

Standing still with vsync on and no fps cap I get 80 fps where I am, cpu usage it rammed even looking into the woods.

Use rivaturner too cap it to just 2 fps less at 78, Frametimes smooth out and cpu usage drops dramatically.

Still testing with different things

20. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Yeah, you are perfectly right ! If i move my pagefile on the same drive as ACD, the stutters are back. In those two pictures, look at the frametime graph at the bottom left side of the screen (capped @45fps):

Pagefile on the same drive:
    [​IMG]

Pagefile on a different drive:
    [​IMG]

In fact, not really surprising considering the complexity of the scenes (taken from my dev Reshade build):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.