NVIDIA Shows Comparison Benchmarks for DLSS Optimized 4K Rendering

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Stefem

Stefem Active Member

GPU:
    It's AI, there's nothing to license, the algorithm literally write itself using tons of data, you can do yourself with the same open source tools NVIDIA is using if you can afford to build a supercomputer

2. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Very well done as usual from nvidia, really helpful comparison right there. Great job! Also, now i'm really looking forward to the Infiltrator release....oh wait.

3. Stefem

Stefem Active Member

GPU:
    They don't train your game (that doesn't even make sense). Approval? lol
    Devs don't have to send the code, no one actually send their source code to any company (despite what AMD said in the past) they just give them a build and NVIDIA will use its supercomputer to train an AI algorithm for that game, developer could do that by itself if they afford to build or rent a supercomputer

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I, as many others, am missing reference point. That reference point is fps with both AA OFF.

Monchis likes this.

5. PolishRenegade

PolishRenegade Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Never said I need to send the source.

1) Implement their SDK, send the game, get in queue for their supercomputer ($$$ probably - because NVIDIA) and give them approval to support my game ($$$ probably - because NVIDIA) in their drivers.

2?) Implement their SDK, get a supercomputer running NVIDIA Teslas ($$$ because NVIDIA), train their AI on my game and then send them the results to be implemented in their drivers ($$$ probably - because NVIDIA) .

I am missing something?

There is no open source tools for implementing the DLSS AI yourself. Nor have I read anything that points to this being free. Maybe I am wrong, would like a reference to that statement.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  6. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    DLSS, looks like we have a catchy name for fake Anti-Aliasing and useless image upscaling to 4K. Instead of this "DLSS" we need real 4K@60 fps capable GPU's, hopefully when the 7 nm GPU process tech. comes

7. gydj

gydj Guest

Where can I download any, I mean any, RTX or DLSS benchmarks to test myself? My 2080 Ti is sitting there like an idiot. This launch has been so frustrating....

tensai28 likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    It does... LOL...Which game???? Forza? or Shadow of Tomb Raider?

It has limits...i say again the RTX is NOT a standard for 4K gaming@60FPS

Biały Wilk and Embra like this.
  9. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Given how Nvidia's previous slides skewed truth, I seriously don't think I'd be publishing any more graphs etc from them...until we can properly validate the data ourselves at the same time.

If all they're doing is up-scaling lower res textures then I'd feel a little short changed, especially if the developer included actual 4k textures.

carnivore and Biały Wilk like this.
  10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The thing is, the die space used for the Tensor cores could have been used to pack in more CUDA cores instead (which might have lifted AA performance up to DLSS levels). This is why I don't see DLSS as free anti-aliasing, but a trade - Nvidia has traded greater overall performance (CUDA cores) for a faster anti-aliasing method (Tensor cores). Whether it's a fair trade or not remains to be seen.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    1440p is faster than 1440p + DLSS. DLSS is not free.

DLSS "4K" perf should be somewhere between 1440p and native 4K.

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    DLSS is definitely going to be a game changer. I mean you get a super crisp image (and free performance) vs. regular anti-aliasing methods.

I can only imagine how much better all of my modern racing games would look like when playing in 1080p while also maintaining 144hz.

13. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    "
    "

Let's not stoke Nvidia's propaganda machine at the moment, that is, until reputable sites like guru3d get a chance to thoroughly test and benchmark this and all other RTX brand features for themselves. On that note, my own thoughts still remain: that Nvidia have shot themselves in the foot more than once with this series release.
    They've managed to dissuade me from upgrading this cycle.

Biały Wilk likes this.
  14. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Would love to see someone posting the info where Nv said "at native 4k", as i can remember it was never said like that. They might have compared it in image quality to it.
    But anything to make them look bad, since they dared to not release a 500$ card that can beat the 1080ti..

And about proprietary:
    Please show me a business model (that works/worked), where company A invented something, and gave it away for company B to make money with it...

RzrTrek likes this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_turbo_geforce_rtx_2070_8gb_review,23.html

Stefem likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Microsoft's Direct3D.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Keep going, keep going why have you stopped?
    In same DigitalFoundry video, they found 4K DLSS as better image quality then Native 4K + TAA

18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I have no trouble keeping 60fps on shadow of the tomb raider at 4k. I haven't tried forza.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Fox2232
    nope. besides that it more or less requires windows, its not free (licensed),
    and they didnt write the code and gave it away (for only) company B to use it.

and even if, its ONE company with ONE (software) product,
    so its an example of the complete opposite, when i look at how many companies exist.

20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    These benchmark results aren't very impressive.

Biały Wilk likes this.