Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    lol! :D

I thought the same at first. On his page on github he uses a lot of technical words but I have the impression he's not that sure about what he wrote. Anyway, his thread on Steam was deleted. I won't try it and besides I am fine with perfs I'm getting, I thought it was going to be much worse especially when reaching Athen, now that I finally arrived I'm getting exactly the same performance I was having in the rest of the game, which is 45-60 fps.

styckx likes this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Wow, those enemy forts are definitely worthwhile doing if you want to level up more quickly, I typically get around 15,000 to 18,000 XP which even at level 34 is a huge chunk of progress toward the next level. They are not that difficult to do either (Normal difficulty) as long as you work your way around from the outside in and take most of the enemies using stealth. At this point, I also have access to a large array of skills which makes it that much easier. Plus I'm still 2 levels above most enemies and only the captains/commanders and the mercenaries that often turn up prove to be a challenge. I typically do my favourite tactic of running backwards firing arrows (fire, explosive, poision, etc, as well as standard for variety). It just never gets dull and the fort layouts are all sufficiently different that they don't feel that repetitive either.

3. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    This game is at its best when you have multiple bandits and mercenaries on you. Last night I took down no less than seven assailants including two mercenaries at once by simply being better at dominating the vertical and using my sparta kick second win and poison spear at the right moments. Even if they have plenty of health taking advantage of simple gravity can even the odds heavily quickly in your favour.

I'm enjoying justy challenging myself going deep into red skull level forts and taking the region chests looting and burning war supplies to help lower the hold on the area. I'm only level 15 but have level 45 gear in my inventory. This for me IS the true Witcher 3 beater. It had to happen at some point I just never thought it would be a ubisoft game to do it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  4. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Kaldaien have accomplished a great work with SpecialK. Those monitoring tools are really great, and it can easily replace RTSS in many ways (including the frametime smoothing). SpecialK works also very well with any kind of reshade versions, as far as i tested it.
    I consider this ban as a great bullshit, and more importantly, i think that he is right in many ways. Firstly, it is not proved Denuvo has any impact on ACO. Secondly, when monitoring the threads with SpecialK, there is indeed a great increase in the number of loading threads, when in specific situations (like in cities, for instance).
    However, i tested the fix on Assassin's Creed Origins, and did not notice any improvement in CPU usage (which is not at 100%). I think it is because, in Assassin's Creed Origins, a patch has partly resolve this issue.

Did not test yet on Assassin's Creed Odyssey, as i do not own the game yet...

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried the Special K mod for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey last night when I found out about entirely by accident (from a performance article on another website) but what a job it was finding it as his threads never get sticked so invariably get lost among all the other posts over on the Steam discussions. The search feature doesn't always work well either.

Anyway, this mod actually makes the game much more stuttery, at least for the first 10-15 minutes, so I'm not sure it is actually working for me. The game seems to run fine without it once I've been playing for 5 minutes or so (hard drive access seems to be the initial cause of stuttering during that time). I keep switching between a locked 30 fps at 140% scaling (DSR 3584x2016 @ 2560x1440) and a 60 fps cap at 2560x1440 with 100% resolution scaling. The problem is that even with G-SYNC the inevitable dips down to the low 40s fps in the villages and towns are noticeable as they make the controls feel much laggier than they do when it is running at 60 fps (which it seems to hold quite well outside of the towns). Of course, 30 fps is laggier but it is consistent so after a few minutes of adjustment it actually feels fine and akin to playing it on console but with better graphics settings and a higher resolution than Xbox One X.

57 hours and I am still far from bored of this game, although it has to be said that some of the bounty quests are getting a bit samey (those where you have to kill someone, steal something or deliver a message). The problem is that it so easy to get distracted from the main quest. However, I have decided to ignore side quests in favour of advancing the plot and am currently doing the arena quest at the island located in the bottom right corner of the map. Oddly, this quest is designated as level 25 and higher but the island itself shows as level 30!

Not sure how far I am into the story at this point; I'm not sure I want to know as I am still very much enjoying it. I am hoping to complete this game in the next week or so before Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out next Friday. Don't think Odyssey will get much of a look in once that game comes out.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, there is but I only noticed it yesterday.

However, I'm not sure exactly how much use it actually is since there doesn't seem to be any limit on what Alexios/Kassandra can carry. Besides which, I typically dismantle or sell most of the stuff I loot anyway and only keep Rare, Epic and Legendary weapons. I have kept a lot of armour but only because there is so much variety that is seems a shame to dismantle or sell them even if in reality I only really use the highest levelled ones anyway.

7. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Did you test SpecialK on an SSD install ? For me, it did not bring any extra stutters in ACO. Just didn't see any changes. Have not tested with the game installed in the same SSD as windows.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did see the notes mention extra CPU overhead for people playing the game from an SSD but I am running the game from a hard drive so maybe that's why I am not noticing any difference? I was thinking about swapping my AC: Origins install from my SSD boot drive with that of AC: Odyssey on my D hard drive to see if that reduces the initial stuttering but after hearing about the extra CPU overhead I decided against it.

Would this mod work with AC Origins then (which as I said is installed to my SSD) or is it coded specifically for Odyssey?

P.S. I only test the Slow version as I was put off by the mention of stuttering in the Fast version.

9. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Works pretty well wih AC Origins, but i cannot confirm if it makes a great difference in reducing stutterings for this game, as i think that Ubisoft have made a patch that partly resolves the stuttering issues. However, as i mentioned, i have not tested yet on the same SSD as the OS.However, i was really impressed by the amount of useful monitoring tools it provides. SpecialK gives also also very good frame capping settings (Ctrl+Shift+bakspace to display the OSD).
    As soon as i own Assassin's Creed Odyssey, will make a feedback.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I tried the Fast Kaldaien mod for Odyssey last night but did not notice any real difference between it and running the vanilla game so I have disabled it for now. In fact, I've gone back to capping the game at 30 fps with 140% resolution scaling at 2560x1440 Ultra High settings as it is far less stuttery and has a much more consistent feel to it with a locked framerate. With a 60 fps cap, the game dips too often and, thus, has a much more inconsistent feel to it. It is also prone to more stutters; no doubt the lower refresh gives the engine more time to stream data in without causing it to hitch. Initially, 30 fps looks a bit of an eyesore, especially when turning due to the lower framerate update (though it is at 165 Hz refresh) but it only takes a minute to adjust.

Seems the only way to get a locked 60 fps in this game on maxed out settings is to buy a £1,100 graphics card according to the various benchmarks I've read/watched! True I could lower some settings but even maxed out the game is prone to pop in and slow loading textures so that is something I prefer to avoid. As long as the framerate is locked and the controller response feels consistent then I am able to enjoy a game without being constantly distracted by technical issues such as stuttering and variable framerates (something G-SYNC is even unable to compensate for in this game).

Just found out that at 61 hours in then I'm only 34% of the way through the game. It seems that I've spent the last 25 hours exploring and doing nothing more than side-quests! I am now focusing on the story as enjoyable as the various distractions such as the bounties and enemy forts etc are they were starting to become a little repetitive. Well perhaps not the forts as they are just fun to clear out and seem to be varied in terms of layout with some of them being absolutely huge. The XP rewards are well worth it so I will likely continue to clear those out as well as do the Conquest battles (these are also enjoyable and rewarding to do for the XP boost; in fact I levelled up twice inside an hour from level 34 to 36 just doing Fort and Conquest battles).

11. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Is it more appealing than AC Origins ?

12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Define "appealing". What should it have in comparison to Origins, that it would make the game more appealing to you.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    can you scream this is sparta and kick someone down a giant hole?

tensai28 likes this.
  14. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    More interesting quests, more interesting scenario, less redundancy, all the classic appealing stuff, regarding the game itself (not especially the technical part) ...

15. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    kaldaien's threads seem to be back on Steam forum. That's cool :)

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think so, yes. Origins was a fantastic game in its own right and still is but Odyssey refines it further and is a better game IMO. It is very similar in many ways, being set in ancient times and relying more on bows and melee weapons, but the locaton which has a large ocean and lots of forests makes it feel different from Egypt's more desert like environment. The addition of Conquest battles, Mercenaries and Cultists also expand on the gameplay and give it more depth and variety. It's an iterative sequel in many ways but it is a good one because it improves on just about everything from the last game and adds some new things too, including adding back the naval combat from Assassin's Creed III/Rogue/Black Flag.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Let me just say that I loved Origins and played all dlc even I am taken aback at just how much better this is. Some thirtty hours played I have only now begun to scrape off the top layer of the game with the cult related stuff now uncovered and so far level 20 Ive only discovered maybe twenty per cent of the entire map with the map being so massively varied compared to Origins I already feel like I've seen most of what any other open world game would offer yet theres still so much world to explore left. The combat has so much more depth to it than Origins ever had + the engraved aspect and then you have the unbelivable amount of weapons and armour of varying levels and types meaning you can go out into the world and only concentrate on finding every part of a complete armour set if you so wish. I already have more main and side quests than I feel I can handle and theres new ones at practically every new area you enter, sometimes two whole new sets. then you have the new mercs which is in some ways is almost Assasins Creed own take on the Shadow of Wars nemesis system and the more illegal stuff you do the more tense entering new areas become as your bounty level rises. There is the region power shifting element too and so much more that I could mention that is all new to the series. Even at level twenty I already feel like major bad ass and I only own maybe three bits of legendary gear so far.

Considering I only own the base game so far Im overwhelmed by the amount of content as it completely puts Origins to shame even if you owned the additional DLC. Id even say that this is a new definiing entry in the open world genre and it saddens me that many are instead waiting for RDR2 as to come out as if it is the second coming or something when there is already a game like this you can play right now today.

Darren could express why you should pick this up much better than I could all I can will say is that ubisoft have struk gaming gold with this one and for everything missing if you loved Black Flag there is something else added in that makes up for it.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  18. thalixte

thalixte Member

GPU:
    Geforce Titan Maxwell
    Cool ! Thks for the feedback (i precise i really enjoyed Origins) ;)

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, there is a Sparta kick move which is powerful and a lot of fun to use so, yes, if you are fighting on a cliffside then, yes, you can kick enemies off that way. I've finished a few off like this.

20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I think Odyssey has more freedom to do whatever you want. In Origins i felt slightly more encouraged to do the main campaign but this time i'm all over the place. 62h played, level 28 now and killed 43 mercs that went after me. Should've left me alone. >)