NVIDIA Shows Lunar Landing demo with RTX Real-Time Ray Tracing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    HawaiianBrian likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Makes things much easier when you do not need to send rays in almost 50% of sphere as they went with "star-less" sky. Which is quite accurate on Sun lit surface of Moon as it is too bright in comparison to stars/galaxies in sky.

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    There was no "controversy" over the moon landing. It was only later that idiot conspiracy theorists started saying it was all fake.

Noisiv and Brasky like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It was quite possible back in the day. Issue is survival of crew long enough to get back irradiated and die back on Earth.
    I'd say that in worst case scenario Armstrong's team went to orbit and another team finished Moon mission. (This is possibility, but let's be honest... Nobody else was there to confirm/disprove :D )

Apparently someone got to Moon and left HW there. That's something nobody should try to disprove.

5. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Please go back to school.

6. Emil

Emil Member

GPU:
    ZotacGTX 1080 AMP Extreme
    A very nice demo, it's good that Nvidia is introducing this technology.
    BUT...
    I can imagine that Entizias will buy 2080 Ti for 1200 $ but I can not imagine that someone from the 4k@60fps monitor or 21: 9@100fps will return to full HD.

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Tired of seeing nvidia demos that we can't try ourselves. When are they going to publicly release those Ray tracing and dlss demos? It's getting weird. Reviewers can use them but we can't.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Are reviewers able to use them? I didn't know anybody could get their hands on them. But otherwise I would agree. Assuming these are actually rendering in realtime, why not have a standalone executable? There doesn't have to be any configuration settings, you just run it and watch, maybe with a keyboard shortcut to view FPS or whatever.

9. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Of course you can't, because there's no details about it being impossible then or now. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You should be ashamed of yourself as well. Not as much as the above guy, but ALMOST.

schmidtbag likes this.
  10. HawaiianBrian

HawaiianBrian Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12 G MSI
    Your an ignorant Fool. Yes i insulted him. So? This fool deserves it.
    I could go on and on.
    If this were my site id ban you.

11. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I could of swore they were. Unless I'm mistaken.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_gaming_oc_11g_review,24.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_gaming_oc_11g_review,25.html
    Seems like Hilbert kinda somewhat got his hands on some.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This was a VXGI demo originally? Would be cool to see A/B tests image quality/accuracy between the two methods along with performance.

13. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I look forward to your published research on this subject, as you're clearly not just a google "researcher" and definitely have some physics degrees to your name... /s

14. AcidSnow

AcidSnow Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    It amazes me that some people still think the moon landing was faked; probably the same people who think the earth is flat. :sadtrombone:

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is no proof either way. It is similar to "magic" tricks. Unless you say STOP and dissect it in progress, you can't prove it was trick or magic afterwards.
    Therefore me saying that possibility exists is same as saying that: "there is change that God exists, it is just pretty slim".

I understand that uncertainty may be frightening for you, but almost nothing is certain in this world.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I know the true story behind the fake moon landings and it's all NASA's fault. The problem was that they did have a fake set to use for creating footage and training if the real footage was not able to survive the radiation and that's what happened.

So they did go to the moon but they used some CGI/Fake Set and some real footage and that's where the conspiracy started to appear. They should of just come clean and said some of the footage is made up and some of it is real. That little lie or incorrect information left out made many think the whole thing was fake.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    CGI? You do realize the lunacy (pun intended) of that, right? CGI didn't exist back then.

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    OK CGI might not be the correct term in this case but fake footage from a fake set was used.

19. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Wrong.

You sir, are a moron.

"I cannot go into technical details" - that's because you're a dimwit. Oh I understand this, but I cannot explain it to you. What utter trash you are talking. You don't even realise how stupid you sound and how transparent your ill-informed, uneducated opinion is.

None of your arguments are valid. Fact.

The earth is flat, air doesn't exist because we can't see it, wind too, oh and hydrogen cannot possibly make up part of water. Right?

Get a procreating grip.

20. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

WTH HawaiianBrian, why didn't you report the other day on the aborted Soyuz launch and the successful rescue of the crew