The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    ugh, still cant understand why people use that turbo mod. Looks god awful

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    The other one that most people recommended was removed by the author, and I couldn't find it from any other source out there, so yeah. I gave a try to the Turbo mod and for my own tastes it looked better than vanilla so I keep it. To each their own.

3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Never used any mods and never had your problem in my 800 hours of playing. So yes, it's 99% mods related. I for one never felt the need to mod The Witcher 3 (unlike any Bethesda game), for me the base "vanilla" game is perfect.

AsiJu likes this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Eh i like modding everything if i can :p

I liked the appearance mod for w3 where i could keep the iconic witcher armor look despite what junk armor hodgepodge i had early game. Where you cant even get any of the witcher armors till mid late game.

I liked the slots slots slots mod that gave me more level up slots. So i could build a character that felt like a witcher wo cheese builds like the alchemy one. A pure melee build was viable with that mod.

and i cant remember the other one i used.

Granted i do not need 200 mods for the witcher games like i need for arma or any bethesda game to make it fun.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Imo hd textures is a very nice mod, as is reduced wind - stock it's like there is a constant hurricane :p

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I’d uninstall the mods and check again. Simple normally.

For this game, all I use is the HD reworked mid and a weight mod to carry more stuff. The base game is great already.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    @Zenoth

Well, have you tried disabling all mods? You can temporarily just drag them out of the "Mods" folder in the game's directory. No need to go through their install process again. You then drag them back in.

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's not perfect. It has issues. The UI is the most important thing that's broken for PCs, and only mods can make it better.

Then there's random things that don't work well in the game. You can't sort your inventory by weight, price, etc. Torches are broken; you constantly put the torch out when you climb something. Very annoying. Then there's the guards who are virtually immortal, which is just silly. The camera is also not very good on PC. Then there's the bug where you roll down the stairs constantly. Then there's the issue where you can't pick the alcohol you want to refill potions; instead of the cheap one, the game just picks the really expensive one and wastes it.

Another part of the game that is annoying is the lack of an option to remove the damn camera lens dirt. Fixed by a mod.

There's there's the visual enhancements. 4K textures for example.

There's also visual bug fixes. The game has a lot of places where objects are floating in mid-air. Mods correct this.

Then there's also NPC behavior that gets very, very old after you played the game for over 50 hours or so. Namely guards keep repeating the same thing when you walk by over and over and over and over and over and over [... about an hour later ...] and over again. Seriously. Mod to the rescue.

Or how Geralt's face gets all messed up when toxicity is high, but it's a silly effect if you just walk around, having conversations like normal and nobody bloody notices. How is that possible? You look terrible on toxicity, yet no one cares? Mod just removes that silly effect altogether so I can have muh immersion!

The UI is also cluttered. I don't want anything on my screen when playing, unless I need it. A mod does that. Now I have a completely UI-less screen, which is perfect. If I need something, I can bring that something up with a button. If I need the mini-map, I'll just enable the mini map. Nothing else. I can disable UI elements I don't need, like those bloody keyboard prompts over everything. Or those annoying yellow exclamation marks over people's heads. Just the UI mod (Friendly HUD is the mod's name) makes this game much better. By default, the UI looks more like an arcade game, not an immersive RPG. Without FriendlyHUD, I would have enjoyed this game far less.

Another example are the loud sounds that play when a quest updates. Very, very annoying. This is not an arcade game, please stop doing that! Mods to the rescue again.

There is plenty of reasons for mods in this game. In fact, without mods this game is more like a 8/10 game fame me. Pretty good, but has issues. With the mods however, this game transformed into one of the best ever for me.

The statement that the "vanilla game is perfect" is very far from the truth. No, it is not perfect by a long shot, especially in the UI department. Without mods, the game feels like an arcade action game. With mods, it turns more into an actual RPG experience.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Oh yes, yes it is. Just because you feel the need to modify it, doesn't mean I do. None of the things you mentioned ever bothered me (or at least not that extent, I just got used to them). I liked it just fine as it is intended by the developers to play through it 5 times and I'll probably do it again at some point.

On the contrary with the toxicity part, I intentionally had Geralt max toxicity for dialogues in one of my "evil" playtroughs with deep alchemy build. Now that I remember, related to this was the fact that using Quen would break that appearance and I had to always quick-load to get my Necromancer Geralt back. If there's a mod for that, then damn, I did miss out after all!

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I'm just feeling you're missing out on how much better the game can be. But it's your choice, of course. If you like the game's problems, that's up to you.

11. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @Solfaur: Me neither. Not the bugs, not the need to change all these things. It's great to have the option though. Still, if there are issues of any kind, disabling the mods altogether should be the first thing to do.

Solfaur likes this.
  12. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    So the Phoenix Lightning Mod is "back" (it was taken out from the Nexus for a time, I think; couldn't find it previously anyway). I decided to give it a try and removed the Turbo Lightning Mod. I had to remove Turbo anyway since it's incompatible with the Realistic Wind mod (and that one is essential now that I've tried it, can't look back). The Phoenix mod offers three base presets for visuals, and I went with the "Fantasy" variant first (I might try the "Autumn" preset too, maybe the saturation will be less predominant). It does saturates a lot of colors but it gives a nice look during day time, and the nights have a very nice atmosphere to them (very foggy too, I love that; very atmospheric).

Not too bad, in my book:

[​IMG]

I'm also applying my own adjustments with Reshade on top of that. I'm still trying different combinations, but comparing the game I'm seeing right now to vanilla is pretty insane. I mean vanilla Witcher 3 is already very good on its own but it's amazing that it could get even better than that. Sure, it's subjective; to each their own. I for one can't possibly look back now. And I just love the Realistic Wind mod now, like some have mentioned the base game's constant wind presence (and intensity) is just exaggerated. I wouldn't mind it howling every now and then but jeebus it's about 80% of the time regardless of where you are on the darn continent, doesn't make any sense (then again, to each their own).

However, this Phoenix mod has a lot of purple conflicts with the HD Rework Project mod (solvable by proper load order). It wasn't as much with the Turbo Lightning mod. With this one I can count them by the 20+ lines, maybe more. I'm still wondering which one should have priority over the other. For now I gave Phoenix priority since it's supposedly fixing something related to water reflections in caves; something that the HD Rework mod had to remove due to issues... so if that's the case then I assume Phoenix should be the priority.

Finally, about my original post concerning weird rain effects, and raining indoors... still looking for that, it hasn't rained again since I've tried the new mods around. I'll report back whenever I get to test it (maybe it really was the Turbo Lightning mod, since I recently learned that it was actually modifying some weather-related files; so it might have been that indeed).

AsiJu likes this.
  13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So yes, Keira Metz is definitely a fun character.

Greets you with her tits out, fun! :D

@Zenoth

what effects do you use with ReShade? I assume sharpening at least?

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Can anybody tell me where yesterday (October 15th) went? Started W3 at around 10:30am, made an hour break here or there and helped my parents in the garden from 3:00pm to about 4:30pm, then quit witcher at around 8:30pm.
    Felt like I got nowhere, "finished" Triss arch of the story, only to think... what did I do besides finishing a single quest? Still haven't found the guy I was looking for initially :D

-> Haven't felt like that with an RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. 'nuff said.

Solfaur and AsiJu like this.
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Wait, you started W3 and got to the Triss quest in a day? It took me like 3 days to get there when I first played the game :p

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Lol........ later on you do a mission with her, overall her voice acting is just really good.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, I see what you meant ;)

Her dialogue is good and there was the moment in the caves with the rats, lols.

KissSh0t likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh no, I started a few days ago, alway "just" playing an hour or two, was the first day I spent much time on W3. Surely many hours, because I practically cleared most of the countryside of Velen before even entering Novigrad... so those quests actually are about half my level, I messed up and didn't really follow the quest line as intended by doing it all in the correct order. I was level 16 when I entered the city for the first time, the quests were level 9, or 10 at the most? I'm on level 18 now, still, in Velen (particularly the far East and North of the map), there's still patches where I only see the big monsters with "??" as their level indicator :D

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    An easter egg was revealed on Twitter. I sure never did see it.

[​IMG]

jbscotchman and lucidus like this.
  20. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    It's not much but here's what I've done (so far anyway, I'm still playing around with it; it's not my "final" choice as it is now):

Clarity (3 on Radius, 3.000 on Offset)
    Levels (5 on BlackPoint, 255 on WhitePoint)
    LumaSharpen (0.500 on Strength)
    Tint / Sepia (RGB values are R: 107, G: 140, B: 136, and 0.100 on Strength)
    SMAA (Luminance Edge Detection, 0.100 on Threshold, 112 on Search Steps, and 20 on Search Steps Diagonal)

Just keep in mind that this is with my mods installed taken in consideration, so I didn't adjust based off of vanilla. It's mostly to work in harmony (and for my tastes) with the Phoenix Lightning Mod's "Fantasy" preset. That preset saturates color to a good degree (although I do like it anyway). Also, I'm using the HD Rework Project mod (better textures all over the place), however, that one already has a pretty good 'Sharpening' effect applied on them, so not much LumaSharpen was needed (I tested with Adaptive Sharpen too, although it's not in my picture but I think that Adaptive is better than regular LumaSharpen in conjunction with that mod).

Also, I just balanced the Lightning mod's saturation a bit with the addition of my Tint / Sepia adjustments (it compensates with the saturation on the Red and Orange colors in general which I think was done a little too much, but it's definitely very colorful; it reminds me of the first time I saw Oblivion back in 2006 lol, it's indeed very much "fantasy" inspired). I still haven't tried the other presets of the mod yet, and their lightning / coloring settings vary a lot, so if I tried them I would probably re-do my ReShade settings entirely for each one as well.

Oh and finally, I turned off the game's own AA in favor for ReShade's SMAA. It gave me a little bit better performance (not much, and it's situational really; depends where I'm at and where I look at, towards a dense forest, or interiors, etc). But the main reason was because the game's own AA methods actually missed a bunch of edges that weren't well anti-aliased. The only one that does it "overall" is of course FXAA but as we all know it also 'blurs' the screen a bit. So ReShade's own SMAA helped with that (more stuff gets properly anti-aliased, like trees, bushes, fences, and probably a few other types of surfaces I didn't look at when I tested). However, combining FXAA and SMAA is the best visual result as long as I increased LumaSharpen a bit to compensate for FXAA's blurring (but not too much since it sort of destroys FXAA's own effect after some point), but that's not in my picture (my picture was taken with just ReShade's SMAA applied).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.