The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Several more reasons that NVlink is not what we all hoped it would be:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...2080-2080-Ti-Do-NOT-Support-Full-NVLink-1253/

The author concludes that things could get better but I've heard that before.

I'll have my other two cards this week and as much as I still don't plan on going SLI, I will probably throw a second one into my main box for a quick benchmarking run (I hope I can pry it loose afterwards ;) )

As it stands, NVlink is just a fancy SLI connector, which is disappointing considering it's potential for accessing some advanced functionality.

2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    For 2080-ti owner using closed case. Can you post your idle/in-game temperature please ?

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Idle = 25C
    ACO = 70C
    Insurgency Sandstorm = 65C
    Battlefront 2 = 69C

All @ 4K

Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

XenthorX likes this.
  4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Gigabyte Windforce 2080-Ti with custom fan curve, otherwise temps are way higher:

Idle = 42C
    Battlefront 2 / Battlefield 1: 74 - 75°C
    Shadow Of the Tomb Raider: 73 - 74°C
    R6S: 72°C
    Titanfall 2: 75°C

All @ 4K

Corsair 330r titanium

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    BangTail likes this.

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I should point out that I am also using a custom fan curve.

XenthorX likes this.
  6. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Guest

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    I'd blame your small case. It's more suitable for blower cards.

7. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    My previous-es GPU 980-ti and GTX1080 never reached 70°C and were around 30°C on idle, i blame the poor cooling of the Windforce (which i'm in the process of returning now)

8. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    So my RTX 2080TI's arrived. So far almost all the hardware for my new build is in, Just waiting on some stuff from EKWB coming next week and then I can start building!

Going to get these GPU's tested before I waterblock them!

[​IMG]

pharma, anxious_f0x, The1 and 4 others like this.
  9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Much as I could have had other brands sooner, I'm happy to wait for EVGA.

They are really nice cards, run very cool and quiet and they are always the first with BIOS/Firmware updates and fixes if/when they are needed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    pharma, XenthorX and Maddness like this.
  10. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    My GTX1080 was an EVGA , was extremely pleased with it !

11. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's going on with they XC Ultra, my order keeps getting delayed. At this rate I might as well pick up the FTW3.

Maddness likes this.
  12. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    [​IMG]
    That's splinter cell 1, the first game with "shaders" that I remember playing on my PC. Even 2 generation later geforce FX was not fast enough to deliver 60fps in low resolution like 1024x768, while the same GPU could run other games (games without shaders support) in 1600x1200 at 60fps. So right now people are saying, it's to early for "RTX" effects because they will have to run 1080p instead of 4K (well maybe 1440p with DLSSx1 :p), but it wasnt much different with shaders, and yet we cant imagine games without shaders today. It will be the same with RTX few years from now.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, definitely a mostly paper launch, there were a few EVGAs around at launch, but of the three I ordered, I only have one, and as much as I was promised the other two would be here this week, they are not and it is now Saturday.

Even the EVGA site has not had stock of any of the Ti models for well over a week now.

Oh well, can't say as I'm that bothered as I'm enjoying the one I have so much, I'm quite happy to wait :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Yeah I just passed by some pc hardware stores yesterday and still only the 2080 on shelves. Pretty terrible launch.
    By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what do you need 3 of them for? Can 3 cards even be used in a system for gaming?

BangTail likes this.
  15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Initially I was going to put two in my main box and one in my sim box but as I have decided to stay away from SLI, I have put one in my main box and when the other 2 arrive I will put one in my sim box and the other in my work PC.

And JFYI, afaik, you can still get 3/4 way SLI working if you are willing to put the time in but I will content myself with single GPU performance at this point. I love SLI but I just want to play these days, and not worry about profiles et al.

tensai28 and Maddness like this.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not on these cards, NVLink won't permit.

Maddness and BangTail like this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ahh, well even more reason to stick to a single GPU setup.

tensai28 likes this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    A few observations about the msi gaming x trio. First off, it needs to have the power target set to 110% even without an overclock otherwise certain really demanding situations could cause the card to get a dxgi error (ex:shadow of the tomb raider swimming parts). In order to overclock the card, I had to first find the most stable core oc possible while staying at 100% power target using the voltage curve. After finally getting my oc stable at 100%, I then raised the target to 110% for full stability. Right now, I have a core clock of 2010mhz after throttling. Unfortunetly the memory just doesn't want to go. I thought I had +200mhz stable on the memory but later that ended up causing instability. I checked and it's micron. Anyways it seems like there needs to be a bios fix for this card because 110% power limit on stock is not something that should be needed.

Here's the power curve I'm using if anyone wants to use it as a reference. Paired with the aggressive fan curve I posed a few pages back or so.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    XenthorX, Geryboy and BangTail like this.
  19. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    First 2070 review is out, and what a surprise, better performance, for higher price :p.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/14/msi_geforce_rtx_2070_gaming_z_performance_review/12

Maddness likes this.
  20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Are you sure that's a power issue? I had the exact same problem with my founders edition and the last Steam client update seemed to fix it for me. I haven't tweaked anything on mine and every time I would dive into the water on one level it would crash every time. The next day a Steam update came out and after that I was able to play through the entire game without any issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.