Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I really don't care about his statement, I can smell his arrogance from screen to screen. Just by saying the world has been made with a random map generator makes his tweet meaningless.

BangTail likes this.
  2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    WTF, this guy has an abundance of temerity to be criticizing a game that is orders of magnitude better than his.

I liked the Idea of KC but it was terribly implemented, buggy and broken with some of the worst combat I have ever experienced, truly abysmal.

KC did have a compelling story but that's where it starts and ends unfortunately.

I'm also confused as to why he dislikes the graphics or the world, the game is nothing short of stunning and the setting is one of the most immersive locales I have ever visited in a game.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    sertopico likes this.
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Eh, lol? KC is so much better than any AC game, it's not even funny.

AC: Generic gazillion dollars budget AAA game we've seen 1000 times before, and where "everyone's a winner". Even if you never played a video game in your life, you'll win in this game. You just mash buttons. Designed for people with the attention span of a goldfish.

KC: Has its own flair, its own character, and you need to not suck at videos games to play it. Designed for people who actually pay attention instead of relying on constant, rapid fire "ooh look at the shiny shiny" events.

Grimbarian and cerebus23 like this.
  4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    In your opinion, and that's fine.

I wasn't impressed with KC at all.

Definitely not the worst game I've ever played but one that was significantly over hyped and the combat is quite literally the worst combat I have ever come across.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Kingdom Come Deliverance was okay but it certainly lacked that certain something that kept me coming back it like Odyssey has by the bucket load. It is also poorly optimised and buggy. Sure it looked beautiful at times but I found the main character dull in Kingdom and the quests and story just weren't that engrossing. Also the combat was not fun at all. It seemed like one of those games that was perhaps a bit too ambitious in aiming for realism first and foremost over striking a balance between it and fun gameplay. Some aspects of Kingdom were quite frankly tedious as well. It's not a terrible game, just an unpolished and ultimately forgettable one.

BangTail and DocStrangelove like this.
  6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    There is supposed to be a crate on your ship now where you can put the golden gear pieces into which you think just clutter up your inventory. Great idea. :)

BangTail likes this.
  7. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    One of the things I most enjoy is even enemies lower than you still put up a good fight.. In Origins, let's say if you were level 12, and an enemy stronghold consisted of level 9 enemies you would slay them with ease.. Origins while they are easier than your own level they still require some actual effort to defeat..

DocStrangelove likes this.
  8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Eh the problem with ubisoft games is they recycle mechanics, which they have tried to tweak in the last 2 years since people were getting generally bored with them.

Black flag was considered by many then best AC game in years, because of the pirate angle. It had arcade ship combat that was reasonably fun and challenging. And the assassin stuff was there but almost something you could ignore and just go sail around plundering stuff.

black flag was so popular, like no AAA dev ever realized there was a market for pirate games somehow and that market was generally undertapped outside games like age of pirates series, that while fun had clunky melee combat and a dated engine. That ubisoft spun off skull and bones off black flag clearly reusing many of black flags assets.

KCD dared to do something different, make a historical sim about a very specific time in europe. So yes there was not a million pois and collectables, the landscapes were sparse like real woods generally are. And the story was good but you were not the great hero you were a average schlub that starts off the game more concerned about getting laid and avoiding your chores, who can barely handle a weapon period. And the combat was challenging until you get end game gear and some skills. Nevermind that it was only the first 2 acts of a 3 part story. And yes it had bugs when it launched.

Comparing assasins creed an arcade game with the standard fill the world with a million collectables schtick that nearly every open world games does as filler. To a game that is supposed to be a actual simulation of medevil life and the average persons life in that era. And AC has its own share of bugs, even this game cause i have watched people play chunks of it, and physics glitches and etc happen. been mucking about in black flag and you get some physics bugs in that to this day.

It is like comparing apples and hand grenades you can but does not work overly well.

Grimbarian likes this.
  9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I didn't make the comparison and calling it a 'simulation of medieval life" is the same thing as calling ArmA a 'military simulator'.

They are video games, pure and simple.

Neither of them comes anywhere close to simulating their chosen arena in any meaningful way.

I agree that they are two very different games and I know which one I have derived significantly more enjoyment from and which one I uninstalled because it just didn't pull me in.

I'm certainly not trying to piss on KCD, because it did try to do something different even if, in my humble opinion, it did not do a lot of that 'something different' very well.

Further, ACO is anything but easy on 'Hard' or 'Nightmare', it is extremely challenging, so saying it is a game for people who don't know how to play games is an invalid argument.

KCDs combat made it hard, but not in a good way.

Frustrating is a more accurate adjective as far as I am concerned.

Obviously, this is all subjective and to each their own :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i did not say AC was easy i said it was arcade, which it is.

You cant shoot a guy in the head with an arrow from 20 feet away and simply anger them :p.

BangTail likes this.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This gave me a good chuckle.

[​IMG]

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, I think it was another user who made that statement.

cerebus23 likes this.
  13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Let's face it, AC stopped being "historically accurate" the moment it started with all the precursor stuff and having Templars anywhere else besides the crusades. I don't mind it getting goofy and pseudo-fantasy.

Also, yes, let's not compare this and KCD, both games had different goals in mind, one being part of a stale series with minimal changes up until the 6th and then 10th instalment, the other being new, and aspiring to do certain things differently (but being brought down by bucketloads of bugs on launch).

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    One thing that continues to confuse me a little still, even after 44 hours of playing the game, is how the bounties are worked out.

For example, I get that looting anything with a red marker is stealing and, thus, if spotted that will increase the bounty meter, especially if citizens then attack you and you have to kill them in defence. Anything, white can be looted without penalty and these are usually part of the side-quests (you need to collect a certain amount of treasure, burn so many things and kill so many commanders to get a Quest Completed message).

However, I've come across enemy camps that have both white (OK to take) and red (counts as stolen) loot which is confusing as some of these are part of the quest objectives. As such, to complete the quest you basically attack bounties. Sure, these can be easily paid off to reset it - it pays quite literally to keep your eye on this via the map screen as clearing higher levels becomes more expensive plus the mercenaries sent to kill you are much tougher... though, conversely killing them reaps better rewards in the form of higher level armour and weapons - but it is never really made clear what constitutes a bounty penalty. If I clear out an enemy camp using stealth and either recruit or kill everyone then logically there should be no penalty since there was no-one left to report my bad deed, right? I can understand the bounty meter increasing in towns when citizens and soldiers spot you stealing but there shouldn't be any penalty at all for clearing out enemy camps.

That said, I have often being taking out camps and forts only to hear the foghorn, which signals the appearance of a mercenary. This usually happens when your bounty meter increases. Quite how they get there so quickly is a mystery but I guess it's just one of those gameplay mechanics you have to accept like how your horse can magically teleport anywhere just by whistling for it!

Oh and random complaint... one annoyance with this game is that you can try to help citizens or soldiers being attacked by animals or bandits but in most cases, at least for me, doing so then results in them turning on me once the animals or bandits are all dead! Tut, talk about ungrateful!

There have also been times when I have been looting the bodies of animals or soldiers previously killed by something else (i.e. not me) only to have the people or soliders attack me. Maybe it is a bit rude to loot bodies while someone is looking?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Mercenaries are also found just wandering around, they aren't as alerted though in this state and can be snuck up on and dealt with without you having a existing bounty although checking them via the Privacy-Invasion-Bird and tagging them will then allow you to check their background history (Ancient Greek rap sheet yay!) including if they hold legendary items or...junk. :p

Course just bagging them still moves you up the hierarchy for the next 20% something bonus or whatever though regardless of rank encountered mercs can be from any of these brackets usually with the higher ups having better shi..legendary items to acquire. :p

They also seem to reset, dealt with most of the rank 9 to rank 4's earlier this week and now it's all populated again with a bunch of RNG's (Random New Guy/Girl. :p ) though you can only get 1x of each legendary so eventually they'll probably all be carrying worthless trinkets and be little more than nuisances. At least dismantling still provides useful crafting material for upgrading your existing low level legendary items to proper somewhat-higher-number levels of having the item be a little bit better ha ha. (It's based around skill use though, poking the enemy directly usually just deals minimal damage compared to using skill-kills like a real 1337 Spartan...ex-Spartan I guess? :D )

EDIT: I do enjoy the game, I just find the Borderlands level of loot hilarious though I am slowly accumulating some nice new legs...meaning legendary items though the practice of boot to the balls for massive damage when just stabbing deals like 1-damage is certainly also a thing.
    (And other skills but so far it's mostly that for the warrior tree with some passives and focus on ass damage because every back stab animation for some reason has Kass/Alexio do a ass-shove of epic proportions on the unfortunate dude you're disposing with a "butt-stab" attack.)

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I abs love the new mercenary mechanics, finally some enemies worth their salt. Had to break off a fortress invasion due to 2 mercs join in on the fight. Break contact, come back from the other side and sneak in while everyone is out there searching for you in last direction they saw you.

Great game.

17. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Is it just me or is the map progression completely convoluted? In Origins you spread out evenly across the map.. In Odyssey you seemingly have to cross a continent to get to the next mission in line.. It's all over the place.. Also picking up loads of scenarios are that double digits away from your current player level is strange..

18. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Yeah thought the same thing. Was chased by wolves with a skull over the heads when i entered 30+ territory as a 15 level guy. xD I think they try to force you to use your ship a lot.

Btw i was able to find a cult member just by the hints to the area he was in. Appeared as a normal civilian but had 2 guards next to him all the time so i figured it must be him.
    You will know this because it shows you the assassination key when you stand next to your victim. Killed him and his guards and got the rewards.

19. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    I hate the merchs for that. lol.. Sitting there casually raiding a stronghold, fortress, camp etc and you hear the DUN DUH of a merch now entering the game.. You know you're totally screwed and have to revert to plan B.

I really do enjoy the fighting in this game. It takes some actual skill.. No more dodge, slash slash.. More blocking, more timing needed in dodging when enemies are hulked up. Also, enemies attacks are not very easy to figure out the pattern of..

It's as I said earlier, even some enemies levels lower than you can still be a little of a challenge because you can't just mash your buttons to kill most enemies anymore.

20. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I agree with the combat skills needed. However since enemies can go into a rush now (orange glowing weapons) i dodge 99% of the time since you can't block those special attacks.
    If you dodge at the right time (where the weapon almost hits you) you get a slow motion effect exactly like when blocking, so dodging has a benefit imo.