Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Disallowing the use of trainers in a SINGLE PLAYER ONLY to cheat your way through the game but making it perfectly acceptable if you fork out up to £41.99 for Helix currency to do it is just downright mean of Ubisoft not to mention greedy. These are things you could do 20 years ago via controller cheats and input codes! Is it any wonder that this publisher gets so much hate from gamers?

BangTail and cerebus23 like this.
  2. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    It can be SP game only, but this is not some typicall trainer, but more like hacking tool because it actually unlocks feature that normaly you would have to buy. XP booster is something like DLC, and for example just imagine trainer that would unlock something like DLC cars in forza horizon 4, of course developer will not like it regardles if that's SP or MP game.

I dont know if ubisoft will ban people for using this trainer, but ubisoft can leggaly do it any moment because of EULA tearms of use. Unfortunately we dont buy these games, we only buy rights to legally play them and we must obey EULA tearms because otherwise ubisoft can block our key. We live in a strange world were basically even when we pay for something, it's still not ours :(.

Ubisoft is greedy by selling things that should be for free, but it's their game, and they make their own rules. They dont allow trainers, so I will not install this trainer and risk potential ban. And BTW. this trainer looks interesting but only if I would want to play this game for a 2'nd time. Otherwise why to buy expensive game (or should I say license to play this game :p), just to use some XP heats and try to quickly finish it?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. Until people file in court. Microsoft's own EULA hasn't held up in court before. Don't forget that.

EDIT: Did some research - it may conflict but doesn't constitute an actual ban

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2018
  4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, the point is that you shouldn't have to buy anything after you have purchased a SP game.

They are saying they don't want trainers because they want to sell you unnecessary accoutrements via their store and I don't feel like an SP game should have a real money store period.

If I was banned for using a trainer in a single player game I would simply chargeback the CC charge for the game, end of.

I can tolerate this kind of nonsense in a multiplayer environment but it has no place in a SP game whatsoever.

cerebus23 likes this.

5. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    I just hope ubisoft will realise what they are doing now (charging money for things that should be free) is wrong. And BTW. I just cant understand people who are willing to buy things like XP boosters, because developers can see they can sell even absurd things like cheats codes. I remember times when cheats were for free, not paid features

BangTail likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    'Games as a service' is disgusting and we can mostly thank greedy scumbags like Zelnick, Kotick, Wilson and Soderlund for this kind of crap.

By all means, make money, just don't do it to the detriment of your integrity, and more importantly, at the expense of the product.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Because the game has boring sections in it that tell you to go to places that look exactly the same, do the same thing, multiple times, just so you have enough XP to progress the actual game.

This makes the game worse and is boring to go through. The only logical reason why you'd ever put a paid way in a game to skip parts of it, is when there's value in doing so. There's more value in not playing that part than it is to play it, and the only way that's possible is when you make those parts intentionally bad, or otherwise design them specifically in a way that makes people not want to play them. "Plebs" who don't want to pay extra need to suffer through the crap, while people who are willing pay extra in an already full-priced game will actually get the intended experience, rather than going through mindless copy&paste fetch quests.

In-game purchases that allow you to skip parts of the game ultimately mean one thing: those parts are there to make the game worse if you don't pay up. It doesn't make business sense otherwise, and is why this kind of thing needs to be called out and trashed by everyone with any kind of influence in the video games industry.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Reading up on the ban of trainers is really disheartening, knowing that there are people who actually are going to defend it. See, this is why I like GOG, since in their EULA, YOU OWN THE GAME YOU BUY! In Odyssey we now have a game that bans cheaters, because you have to buy its own cheats. I mean, what is this nonsense?!

Look, I am willing to accept that the game is good and isn't as grindy as many youtubers are making it up to be (I mean, that would give me an enjoyable experience and I don't say no to that), but this stuff is really ringing all the alarm bells. This is why I said that these kind of MT's are a test. Not every publisher is as openly outlandish as EA or Konami (or stupid, I really don't know when it comes to EA), so they'll go for small crap like this.

Yes, I get it. Some people want to speed up that game process so that they don't have to sink 100s of hours into the game, since they have other responsibilities elsewhere. But the thing is that it doesn't seem to stop there. Then you get a bit more grind, a bit more pricey ingame currency (@Darren Hodgson the reason for an ingame currency is easy, it allows the seller to price the "credits" just so that you have to buy a little bit more than you actually need, if you only want to go for a select skin/cosmetic/whatever - that makes more money than a direct purchase for real money), and so on. Now this thing with user-created cheats is perfectly understandable, since user made cheats would lose Ubisoft money, because now you BUY cheats for this Ubisoft game.

See, I'm not trying to be paranoid or to stir up conflict, I'm genuinely afraid that publishers like Ubisoft, Activision, EA and Take2 are really going to try to implements this "games as a service" bull****

9. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    On a lighter note, YES I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. XD

I never liked AC. It was clunky (movement&combat), repetitive, the modern day plot was this Dan Brown stuff that wasn't too compelling, and it felt stale.

But then Origins decided to rip off Witcher 3 and Dark souls for gameplay, combat and open world. First AC that I genuinely like! Black Flag (and Rogue, since it's more of the same) was really good on sea, on land it was more of what I wasn't that thrilled about. I really want to like Odyssey, but Ubioft is again pulling some s***.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm at level 25 now, almost 26, after some 41 hours of playing time and have finally reached Athens (I don't think this is a spoiler considering the location the game is setting in but if anyone objects then I will use the spoiler tags).

It just so stupidly entertaining still and yet so difficult to just pick a quest and just head to it because there are so many distractions en route. For example, this morning I tried mopping up some optional bounty quests but ended up noticing a cultist marker on the map (killing these gives you an item that can be used to upgrade a certain spear you are carrying that in turn grants access to new skills for bow and melee combat as well as stealth). But, of course, on the way there I ended up doing a synchronisation point and picking up several other side quests. While it is true that a lot of these are samey - kill bandits/animals/sharks/commander or fetch a certain item - they are still nevertheless rewarding to do because you always get decent loot and often, in my case, you will stumble across a slightly higher levelled mercenary (these are contract killers sent to kill you if you kill too many innocent citizens and soldiers or steal too many things). Killing these mercenaries gives you even better weapons, armour, etc, often epic or rare and the occasional legendary item. As such they are always worth killing and you can track how many you've killed via a Mercenary tab that is similar to the one used in the Middle-earth: Shadow games.

Not sure how far I am toward the end of the main quest and, to be honest, at this point I'm not sure I want to know as I am still thoroughly enjoying it and not in the slightest bit bored. I suspect I may still be playing this when Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out on 26th October, the only game this year that I suspect will be better than this.

AsiJu, Grimbarian and emperorsfist like this.

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    To be honest, you hype the game up for me with every post you make XD

Darren Hodgson and Grimbarian like this.
  12. Hopefully this will help regarding Ubisoft and the use of Trainers in Singleplayer, I feel like people are getting out of hand.

This is taken directly from Ubisoft's website itself ...

Approx mid-way into the page under:
    "How can I be sure not to be banned?"
    In order to be sure not to be impacted by a ban or ... any other game, we highly recommend you to play only on trusted machines. Use caution when installing any 3rd party software that could have an impact on the game or the "EasyAntiCheat" client.

So, EasyAntiCheat is what Ubisoft Licenses out for performing background checks to avert hacks/cheats etc in their games - however; this taken from the EasyAntiCheat site home-page sheds more light on what the client is tailored for...

"Easy Anti-Cheat is a holistic anti–cheat service which uses cutting edge hybrid technology to counter hacking and cheating in multiplayer PC games."

There you have it - multiplayer games; not single-player ones. You'll be fine using your Cheat-Happens trainer or the like for boosing XP in AC:O without getting banned long as you're not running the trainer in the background in multiplayer mode. Please don't add the argument "well technically AC:O is a multiplayer game because it has a multiplayer mode" if you're thinking that way you're over-thinking the situation and the information already provided to you. Google is at your disposal as are multiple Steam & Reddit threads already touching on this..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  13. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
  14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I am astonished after 40 hours of playing this game, just how bug free it has been. I've not encountered any broken quests or disappearing loot like certain other RPGS *coughs*The Elder Scrolls*cough* and the only glitches I've seen have been two instances of slow loading ground textures, usually after a load or fast travel, and a few freed NPC prisoners who seem to have dodgy path-finding so end up running into something and just staying there. Oh and there is no wet clothing simulation in this game like Origins (surely an oversight?) and I saw one tree floating two feet above the ground.

Hardly game breakers by any means. While optimisation might not quite be there - the game has horrid framepacing issues that can only be fixed by using RTSS - it is otherwise a very polished experience. The patches are only going to refine it even further.

emperorsfist likes this.
  15. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    I agree, no game breaking bugs encountered till now. I only saw some misplaced objects floating as you wrote and the AI that sometimes gets stuck.

Regarding the wet clothing looks like it was working properly before the game got updated, the 1.02 patch bugged it. Besides all the cloth physics (as much as birds animations) is locked to 30 fps and the only way to unlock it is swimming (lol) but as soon as you talk with somebody it gets locked to 30 fps again. Just like it happened in AC Syndicate.

edit: Daniel Vavra's opinion on Odyssey
    https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1049824975652294657

I'd say he should think about fixing his own game.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Some NPCs with cloth in their hair (whatever they are called) seem to animate at what looks like 15 fps to me. Normally, I am not bothered by these but the woman I was talking to yesterday on a side-quest was just so distracting. Did not look 30 fps to me anyway. Maybe that's what happened to me... should have gone for a swim before I spoke with her!

Make sure you report that bug though to Ubisoft.

sertopico likes this.
  17. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    These cloth animation bugs are weird. Seeing how Odyssey is mostly just Origins in Greece, it's weird that this bug materialised again after being absent from the previous game...

18. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Don't pay attention to him. I am Czech myself and actually know a guy who worked on Kingdom Come. Vávra is extremely arrogant and has an over inflated ego. He has made his name known in the Czech video gaming industry (especially with the original Mafia), but it seems to have gotten inside his head. His successes cannot be denied, but so can't his missteps.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    BangTail and AsiJu like this.
  19. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Ubi is already aware of the issue. :)

Darren Hodgson and emperorsfist like this.
  20. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Let's hope they fix it...