EK introduces EK-CryoFuel Solid coolants

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    EK® Water Blocks, is proud to announce the launch of a brand new line of EK-CryoFuel coolants! EK-CryoFuel Solid non-transparent coolants are all based on a new patent-pending formula with vivid, ...

EK introduces EK-CryoFuel Solid coolants

2. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    "solid" referring to the colour not the state of the matter, it's still liquid. I thought this was some new cooling tech XD

Yogi likes this.
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    while it's an interesting look for my personal taste it kind of defeats the point as it looks now like painted plastic tubes I'm more the transluscent fluo green so it looks like it's radioactive (80's B-movies style lol)
    it will sure look great in mono-color focused cases like an all white build

4. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    meh it's just a different style of coolant, eyeballing the white because i have a couple LED strips in my case so the white would become any color i set the LED's to.

but once the air in bled a clear coolant loop will look like a solid tube of glass.
    only something like primochill vue will still look like somethings inside of the tube (and even there it can be hard to tell if your flow rate is high, though i have a tinted sidepanel so perhaps that made it harder to see).

now to let people test it for a year or 2 to see if it's worth getting.

was a early adapter of primochill vue and 4-5 month's after putting it in it started to seperate and clog up my cpu block so i'd rather not have that again :p
    replaced it before the liquid fully started to seperate, putting it back in the bottle i have a ~1 to .5mm of seperated liquid at the top of the bottle (which was enough to cut my flowrate from 1.25L/M to 0.6 with the amount of stuff that was collecting in the cpu block.

5. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Solid coolant... That's even more stupid than americas name for petrol, the word they are looking for is "opaque".

6. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I dodged the Vue bullet because I had just changed my fluid and didn't want to waste the money I just spent on EK Yellow. :p

After all of the issues people have had with Thremaltake and Primochill opaques recently, I am also a bit wary about these. At least if you have an all-EK setup, they can't balk on warranty replacement if they separate and clog, so that's something.

I am still probably going to go clear on the refresh I am going to build next year, using the frosted soft tubing from Alphacool and relying on light strips and fans for color. I was going to do distilled water, but it looks like PT Nuke is a somewhat risky proposition at this point, with people getting bottles that are years old when they order it, and the formula having issues with the nickel plating in some blocks.

7. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I went with the EK Cryofuel Acid Green last time I filled my loop but before that I tried Mayhems Pastel Green which is opaque similar to this stuff, biggest mistake!!! After a few months the Pastel settled in my CPU block and hardened, I had to drain the loop an disassemble the block, the plate inside the block was stuck with hard coolant, it was like plastercine.

Unfortunatley by the time I figured all this out the built up pressure in my loop from the lack of water flow split the radiator in my EK Predator 360 and killed my pump, you live and learn I guess but I'll never use opaque fluids again, clear liquids or distilled water with biocide anything else is not worth the risk imo.

EK Cryofuel Clear Acid Green has been great btw, best coolant I've ever used, lost a bit of the UV over time but it's still green and still looks good even after 12 months.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I have run for about 1 year and half Mayhems Pastel without the issue and in friend loop we are running now 3rd year same Mayhems Pastel Red and too no issues there

If any coolant will break down or clogg,usually is down to yours loop hasn't been clean or clean enough, my recommendation is clen the loop few times with distilled or deionized water or get Mayhems Blitz

Older or previous EK Pastel or Opaque coolants had been made by Mayhems and have used them on few loops as well

Only few coolants which I wouldn't use are Thermaltake Opaque and PrimoChill VUE, don't have best experience with EK CryoFuel as well which breaks down after 3 weeks

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Appreciate the reply but there's also the possibility that I got a bad batch of coolant and I'm not the first person to have issues with Mayhems coolants as this video from JayzTwoCents will attest, so yeah while every loop is different and while you may not have had issues with it doesn't mean it's 100% reliable and after losing a pump and an EK Predator 360 I'm not willing to take the risk with opaques again even this new Solid stuff from EK, for me it's just not worth the risk and I'm sure you can understand my position on that.

Good advice about cleaning the loop though, I've never tried blitz but I always flush my loop with distilled water before changing fluids.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

If you watch his YT clip and few later YT clips where he explains what his issue has been, in his case Mayhems Pastel never clogged his system, only colour has been difference, he wanted to use Mayhems Pastel Orange/Yellow I think and colour hasn't been exactly orange/yellow what I have seen which can be few things like not cleaned radiators, blocks etc

Usually good clean with Mayhems Blitz or vinegar solution can be best avoid such issues

In yours case, looks like more likely CPU or GPU block has been clogged already when you are put inside Pastel or other thing pump has been on way out, this has happened with my 2nd EK DDC 3.2 PWM Elite edition which failed after 1 and half year or so,DDC pumps are not so robust or rather I would say they're not reliable as D5 pumps wh8ch really last up to 5 years easy, my another DDC pump failed as well, that time I run Mayhems X1 or EK CryoFuel, right now I'm running only Mayhems X1 Clear and no issues there

There are few guys who have issues with Mayhems coolants like Jay2cent and few others, I recommend have look on OCN and their thread, there are not many people who have issues with their coolants, mostly some people complain is colour and that's it, which I can't say about the Thermaltake or PrimoChill VUE coolamts which are known for clogging

Never experienced with clogging and Mayhems Pastel coolants as I use them on all customer builds and for friends as well

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Well here's my story

I got a new GPU so I decided to order some new coolant and drain and change out the Pastel for EK Cryofuel in my loop. so I flushed the Pastel out with distilled water several times until the water ran clear, I figured it was clean at this point and there would be no issue adding new fluid, I then added the Cryofuel clear and pumped it around the system but I noticed it wasn't pumping right, so I figured I needed to move my case around as it was probably trapped air in the loop somewhere, so I tried this for a few days, didn't work, so then I drilled a hole in the top of my case to get access to the EK Predator bleed valve, I then tried bleeding the radiator with the bleed valve but still the liquid wasn't pumping round and I was getting a lot of bubbles but then the pump just died so I figured that must have been the issue so I ordered a new pump, once that arrived I replaced the old pump and drained the entire loop and disassembled everything, it was only when I opened up the cpu block did I find the plate was literally stuck solid with hard Mayhems Pastel fluid, anyway after cleaning and reassembling everything I then refilled and finally got the fluid to pump around the system and gave a huge sigh of relief, it was working or so I thought, about an hour later I noticed little droplets of green coolant on the backplate of my GPU, after some testing I discovered my 360 Predator radiator had split, I thought it was dodgy fittings at first so I ordered new ones but no matter what fitting I use and I even tried plumbers tape, it wouldn't stop leaking,

so yeah if had not put Mayhems Pastel into my loop my cpu block would not have got clogged, my pump wouldn't have died and my radiator wouldn't have split.

But once again appreciate the reply.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. pittiez

pittiez Guest

GPU:
    680x2
    dont be a poser retard like those youtube celebs (linus and that other douchbag) use distilled water in your loops

or look like a dumbass and try to save the $50 a bottle coolant when you have a leak