The Witcher 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jun 6, 2016.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It was awkward in W1. It was closer to an RPG than Witcher 2 and 3 which do not use RPG combat mechanics anymore. They're action games when it comes to combat. However, W1 wasn't using pure RPG combat either, so it was in this weird state where it didn't know what it wanted to be. Quite awkward. W2 and W3 decided to just be action games when it comes to combat, and that's an OK decision, IMO. It made the combat more fun compared to the weird RPG/action combination of W1. I prefer RPG combat in RPG games, but if they're not actually done well (and W1 was not done well), then pure action combat is preferable.

I'm not sure if I liked W2's combat better or not. It seems W3 is not better, just different. So I guess I like both equally. Both have problems though. It does smell like dumped down, "made for consoles" combat, where the lack of buttons on gamepads made the game's combat worse. The game just maps multiple actions to the same key, and thus it gets confused often. Because of the lack of fast camera pans on gamepads, the game also assumes you're trying to attack something that you don't actually intend to attack. It completely disregards the fact that with a mouse, you are very able to point at exactly the enemy you want to attack. But the game will just turns you around and attack something you didn't want even if you use the mouse. You also have this awful "selection wheel" thing that tries to mitigate the awfulness of gamepads, and the game suffers because of it.

They didn't do proper controls for the PC, they just ported the console version as-is pretty much. So the combat is not as good as it could have been.

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Witcher 3 is simply made to be played with a controller - game feels alot better that way :)

3. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Disagree, and the ability wheel makes it a chore to play on pad. Highly limiting and flow breaking. Custom keybinds > gamepads

As for the W1 combat, it was that way due to the engine.

4. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Ehm, would never think to play W3 with a mouse, but OK. I’m playing W1 with a mouse, only because it does not have controller support and it is a Witcher game. Otherwise I don’t even have a mouse connected to the PC any more …

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Erm, so you navigate around the system with the keyboard? I mean, if so, more power to you, but that sounds a bit awkward.

As for the other Witcher games, I like W3's combat the most. It's not perfect, but I use Ghost mode and the enhanced targeting mod (tweaked for Ghost Mode) and I'm happy. W2 has its issues, but there is either Full Combat Rebalance 2, or the Master Witcher mod to choose from. Then again, I play these games for the story, characters and the world, so if need be, I can turn down the difficulty.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I see, thanks.

I'm fine with W3's controls as using a gamepad and targeting just one enemy at a time / lock-on comes naturally to me, because Dark Souls.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I really do feel like a dinosaur playing this game without mods and with keyboard and mouse... but I'm not playing it on the highest difficulty, maybe that's why it still works :D
    I've bought the GOTY edition, when do I actually know I'm drifting off from the main game's content into the two expansions?

8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Oh come on mate, I’m power shelling everything these days! No, but seriously, as my PC is now under the TV with the consoles and it is used a bit like a console, games and movies, I’m using a Microsoft All-in-One Media keyboard with a touchpad for “advanced” computing and just Steam big picture or a program called Controller companion, when all I need is to boot up a game.

@fantaskarsef at some point you will get two quests that start the two expansions, but they are clearly marked in red and blue, for one or the other and also are too high level for you to tackle before you get to the main story ending, or close to it.

emperorsfist, AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.
  9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Oh, I see. That sounds reasonable.

drandiiski likes this.
  10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Biggest hint will be the sudden increase in enemy levels but from memory both DLCs have clear cut intro events to denote their start.

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can only "drift" into one expansion (Hearts of Stone). Blood and Wine is not something you can into by accident. It's in another map entirely (like Skellige), so you need to travel there first.

Hearts of Stone on the other hand is part of the Velen map. But I don't recommend worrying about it. If you keep completing your quests with the lowest level requirement first, you'll naturally play the game in the intended order. Unless you prefer to start Blood and Wine after you complete the main game, in which case just avoid that one quest marker. (I prefer starting Blood and Wine after the main game myself.)

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    The content from the extensions is marked in a different color on your map.

PS: Is there any way to skip Gwint games? I'm at a wedding and can't seem to win the game, at all. I can't go back and I don't want to leave all that money there...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    There used to be a mod that added a vendor that sold most of the gwent cards. I used it on my second play through to rebuild my deck rather than run all over finding all the cards again.

that series is average tho compared to the one tournament quest. That one is really hard the last few opponents.

hearts of stone is amazing tho loved the whole dlc.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    In the game options there's a slider for Gwent difficulty.

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Really? Thanks a lot for that! Haven't touched the game for months because I couldn't solve that one game :D

@Cerberus: Yes I know, the tournament was far worse.
    One game I lost was with a single point behind... but still behind. The other guy has all the luck in the world.

It's my second attempt to win that card game. The first time I ended up there was without any Gwent cards apart from the ones you get no matter what. Then I started an older game, collected all the cards and treasures I could find and went back in. Still no dice so far.

Hopefully the difficulty option helps to continue the game the way I want :)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Hehe, fought and defeated the griffin and then on the way back to garrison ran into a wraith.

In other words best game ever! Found some new weapons too.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Wait until you meet the bath witch lady, for some reason she always stuck in my mind as just being a really fun character.

I don't mean Yennefer/

*edit*

Keira Metz!

ayyyyyyy... I can use google.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    AsiJu likes this.
  18. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes, I can see how she can be fun... :D

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yeah, finished that mini arc already, there's even an achievemtn on GOG for that... although I miss the cards you got back in the day with the other Witcher game(s?). I know they were in the first game because I played that one, and cheated my way through the walkthroughs to be able to get them.

Gotta catch 'em all :D

20. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    So I'm coming back to this game since something like two years I think, by now. I'm starting fresh again. I got the GOG 'Game of the Year' version, if it matters to mention. I'm also using some mods, with the Witcher 3's Mod Manager (from Nexus).

So, reason why I post is there's a bug with rain, and it 'behaves' weirdly. It would be better seen in motion but I'll try to describe it best (the weird part anyway). The easy bug to describe is that it rains inside. At least in the first village we go to after the intro is done (at the small 'tavern' with first NPC at the table who tells Geralt he knows about Yennefer).

In that village, it's raining inside all the houses we can enter.

[​IMG]

As I mentioned I'm using some mods, however, none of them required Script merging. I'm of course also using the Script Merger to check for any red conflicts and there's none. I only have a few purple conflicts (which are resolved by simply making sure they are in the right priority for the 'load order', very similar to Skyrim modding).

The mods I'm using are (from top to bottom = highest to lowest priority, any mod above the one below takes precedence on the one below, etc):

- HD Rework Project
    - Turbo Lightning
    - Tweaks (more options in the main menu for Graphics adjustments)
    - FCR3 Immersion (from a guy who actually worked on the game at CDPR)
    - Nitpicker's Patch (mostly fixing visual-related bugs and inconsistencies)
    - Ultra Gore 2
    - Combat Animations
    - Sort Everything
    - Slower Time Flow

That's it for gameplay changes (the rest are small texture changes, eyes textures and more blood).

I checked the respective mods' Posts tabs on the Nexus to search for "Rain" (keyword search) to see if there's any users reporting this particular bug (raining inside) but I couldn't find anything. According to Google on this subject it looks like it might well be a very old bug *SPAM* back to the vanilla release. Is... that correct? That bug is still there after all that time, two expansions and a bunch of patches?

Anyway... so, there's also a 'weird' issue regarding rain, separate from the fact that it rains inside houses. The problem (if that's a "problem", not even sure if it's suppose to do that) is that whenever it does rain... the rain drops seem to be bigger? Than they should be? They also fall kind of slow, not as slow as snow would but... it does at least look like it's raining "slower" than it should (rain droplets just drop at what I can consider to be slower speed than they should). It creates a weird visual effect overall when it rains, when looking at it all drop slowly like that. It's almost like it's snowing lengthy snowflakes.

I mean, other than that the game looks absolutely amazing (and everything is soaking wet when it rains, the surfaces are wet and all that, so that portion of rain and water effects does work). It's just those two things I just don't recall ever seeing that back when I first played the game. And I can't see why would any one of the mods I use cause either of those two issues. I can only think of "Slower Time Flow", which maybe somehow slows down the speed at which rain falls? And... for the raining inside bug I don't know... FCR3 Immersion fixes things, and adds some others but there's no mention of "new" rain effects that could cause the problem. The Turbo Lightning mod only affects Lighting and Shadows effect, and the Nitpicker's Patch mostly fixes visual bugs on actual meshes, clipping, stuff like that. The rest... wouldn't possibly screw up rain effects.

Just thought I'd share this and maybe someone with the same issue(s) can give advice about this, thanks.