Sony talks about a new console - PlayStation 5?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky and Brasky like this.
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Who called it?

Was literally about to post a thread in the console section regarding an upgrade to the PS4Pro version2 for early 2019 release (prediction) and then this was posted...

grr.

3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    There was a rumour around AMD posting less profits next year due to new console hardware release expected in 2020. This looks like it might fit that roadmap, but worth waiting to see. A Q3/Q4 release next year to meet Xmas rush would be great for business for both Sony and AMD

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, I think there is a chance that Mr Leather Jacket himself will not wish to miss out on the chance of supplying hardware to Sony this time around.

Will Sony want nvidia this time instead? RTX etc...

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you mean rushing console in one year's time and paying extra to nV?
    Very unlikely. Especially when we consider reason why they do not want nVidia around. AMD with worse HW was much more accommodating. (Said nicely.)

moo100times and tunejunky like this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh noes, I was leaning on the comments made in the new piece “At this point, what I can say is it’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”.

Pick that sentence apart and, I think, it could be argued that developers are wishing that real-time global illumination was a switch they had access to and was included in the next generation of consoles.

AMD versus nvidia? I think nvidia have got more troops deployed for real-time global illumination than AMD.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Why to make console which is too expensive for target audience? All nVidia's horses which fit target cost have broken legs to point they need to be put down before race starts.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, I think there is a large enough difference between making a PCI Graphics card, and a proprietary games console GPU. There is a lot there they do not need to produce and they will not have control over the final pricing, so...not an issue?

ninja edit:
    I also think Mr Leather Jacket is a bit annoyed they could not be a part of the current round and feel that AMD got the advantage over him...is this why they launched that 'shield' thing? And, perhaps why they called it the 'shield'?

Hard to know, but as his wardrobe suggests, he is trying very hard to look cool and 'with it' - will he bite the bullet, admit the shield is not really very good and just capitulate to SONY this time around?

Anything is possible.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    No way Nvidia can make it cheaper then AMD since AMD is able to do both CPU and GPU, so concider how many $ Sony just saved by choosing AMD over Nvidia selling those millions of PS4.

Kaarme, Dragam1337, Maddness and 2 others like this.
  10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just hope they put in more performance and a few features that are PC exclusive (DX12 which could make for easier ports), but foremost I hope it's damn fast to not hold back PCs for some time.

Maddness likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Count the RTX transistors for lowest acceptable raytraced performance. Look at power consumption. Too many transistors, too slow in thermal envelope consoles use. Anything below RTX-2070 was projected to be DOA for raytracing. And longevity of RTX-2070 is rather questionable.

Then you have extra cost of combining nV's GPU with AMD/intel's CPU. That's dedicated memory for each. And again extra power consumption reducing what is available for actual performance.

And lastly, while many of RTX technologies are there to deliver improved performance at cost of minor IQ decrease, those ray-based features are quite different. And from technology standpoint, they are not designed to do what they are doing. It is practically hack/override.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Well, perhaps, but if the unit is pure GPU, then no need for CPU.

Besides...the PS4 has sold how many million units? 70? 80? Imagine walking into the board room of nvidia shareholders and telling them you just sold 50 million GPU's...to one of your biggest rivals...that's a few bottles of champagnes right there, and most certainly a few new jackets for your collection.

jus' saying.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then nVidia would have to deliver coding platform on golden plate. Because while one could always skip OS/DX-API/... and use direct GPU instructions, it did not became popular for reason. Not only because it is GPU specific, but requires extra knowledge which you can see mainly inside those companies. There are few people in demo scene capable to use some features... Very hard. And then running logic on GPU, did anyone managed to run something meaningful that way?

I am not saying it is not possible, but I am sure that Sony/MS would not want to:
    - invest their time (competitive delay) and money into creating API for GPU-only console
    - Breaking backward compatibility which users expect. And backward compatibility will drastically boost initial sales as there may not be that many games made for new console (it needs to have good start, so users became free marketing extension)

Kaarme likes this.
  14. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Exactly my thought, AMD can provide and the entire system and tailor it to whatever specifications SONY wants. NVIDIA simply can't do that. It's therefore most likely that next consoles will be AMD again.

On a related note, I guess it will be a great time to upgrade PC next year again, as the baseline for games - the consoles, will increase.

15. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I think that console will be more PC-like in the next iterations.
    And for PS5 to come next year, Sony need to have a weak sale on winter holidays but i don think it will happen.
    The next consoles will be about 4k performance, the rest will be on second place. As for RTX and NVIDIA, it depends on AMD and wat they can ofer for a long run. I think AMD is still the favorite in this race they ofer CPU and GPU at the best price possible. It is preferable to use AMD CPU and GPU that to use AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU and so on.
    But i think it will be a CPU with max 16 phisical cores.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If I may ask, what do you specifically see more PC like?

17. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Maddness, tunejunky and HonoredShadow like this.
  18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    My body is ready... so long as it has some form of hybrid ray tracing like RTX. I don't buy consoles, I just like when they're updated because it allows games to be pushed ahead in quality.
    I bet it'll be 8 Ryzen cores with either their refresh refresh of the 400 series, or a refresh of Vega if they decided they're ever going to make any GPUs. I'm not sure if they ever will. AMD REALLY don't want to sell any GPUs, they've made that more than abundantly clear.

tensai28 likes this.
  19. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    I don´t believe in PS5 for 2019, Sony have some juicy exclusives in development for that year on PS4.

I believe yes, in some kind of announcement on E3 2019 to start to build the hype, but the launch happening only in 2020.

20. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You also have to remember that both Microsoft and Sony have bad blood with Nvidia in the past with the original Xbox and PS3 respectively which no doubt makes both companies reluctant to enter into new contacts with Nvidia.

This is probably why Nintendo when choosing Nvidia, went with the Tegra SoC instead of a monolithic GPU as it's a small, high-yield chip.

Microsoft had the dispute with the pricing of the chips in the original Xbox and with the PS3, Sony had the dispute of the underperforming chip design and if you remember it was a heavily cut down 7800 chip (there was an issue of reliability with the chip too as most failures in the PS3 were thanks to the RSX although it was within expected rates of overall reliability over the lifetime of the console).

Additionally, at the moment, there is no way to get RTX hardware into consoles, the cost is far too prohibitive and yields of these huge RTX chips are so low, it wouldn't be economically viable.

tunejunky likes this.