Microsoft pauses 1809 due to missing user files...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Oct 6, 2018.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What enthusiast or generally competent user doesn't image their system once they've got their base essentials set up? Try patting yourself on both sides...I've heard it feels even better. ;)

2. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070

Cmon dude. 99 percent of users on this forum dont image? You think Im patting myself on the back CMON.

We learned to image IN THE 90s and Im sure you did too, and it STILL isnt adopted as THE form of backup. It obviously SHOULD be what is known as "backup" at this point.

Im just trying to let them know. Ignore me whatever, its a site i learned from, gave knowledge to, and then take as a joke (dont learn from, cant teach). You think people make image backups now? LOL Why does MS depreciate the feature in their EULA now? (as of a few months ago) SALES. Knowledge stopped in 2005-2006.

EDIT: Anyone else, have a small SSD or small Windows partition? How about sparing 10-30gb on a spare drive to ensure you never have problems again?... Easier than 1+1. Yet everybody seems to operate around this.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i'd like to see you recover from a bios bricking malware in 12 minutes. :cool:

Don't say stupid things.

4. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    TimmyP, I've been around just as long as you have, and I really must say that your behavior is quite uncalled for. You do yourself and this forum a disservice by acting like a juvenile trying to talk smack on the school playground. We all try to be helpful towards each other here and it's a safe bet that most of us who frequent this forum apply every if not all good-policy system maintenance habits when and where possible and practical.

You cannot generalize every possible use case and say that your user experience is the one true correct way of doing things for everyone and that a person is wrong for not migrating to an operating system (and operating experience) they object to. You have no right to impose yourself upon others in suggesting that they are wrong for taking issues with certain things and should not be listened to or be given voice because in your opinion (and ONLY in your opinion) you say they stand in the way of progress.

You can't tell others to bend, fold, disfigure and conform every user's PC use habits to only the "MS-approved" way of using their devices and doing things, because otherwise they might as well buy a Mac.

You're free to have an opinion, just don't wield it and your time spent here like a cudgel.

Keitosha and lucidus like this.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I already have an image of my C: courtesy of MS, called en-gb_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_cd49b901.iso

Don't solely save anything important to C:.... that's what storage drives are for

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah same here. I also use my programs in portable mode as far as possible so a mere migration of \appdata\ from windows.old takes care of most of my programs. All my libraries are on a different partition (but on the same ssd). I learnt to keep them separate in the win9x days :p

Extraordinary likes this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Except the cases when it is time bomb. You'll be backing it up for months before it does its thing. Then you recover last week and it breaks your stuff again. So, you go month back and after some time same problem.
    And then you realize you do not have old enough backup. And even if you did, getting things up to date will require same effort as clean install. (Not that it takes more than 20 minutes of actual effort.)

All kind of system restore mechanism protects you from immediate issues like borked updates. So, it is good that you run backups. I set it up for ppl too. But it does not protect against everything.

8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Of course it's dated. But I have no and have never had any problems on win7. The only bluescreens I've gotten were due to unstable hardware. Everything just works.
    I've never had ads displayed in my os. I've never had files deleted. Never had updates forced on me. Never had forced system restarts. Never had my system locked if someone logs onto their ms account.

That's just things off the top of my head.
    I'm glad you're enjoying win10 but I've read way too many negative things to consider switching.

lucidus and Mufflore like this.
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    +1 ^
    I havent had any issues playing games or even HDR movies with Atmos on Win7.
    Its rock stable and doesnt get ****** over by MS because fortunately they dont update anything except security now lol.
    What a blessing.

Windows 10 update threads are popcorn moments.
    More stable my arse.

CoMmAnDrX2 likes this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That too...but when I had a decade of carpy internet, I made a habit of also installing those few programs that always had massive updates and image the base set up. Saves hours of downloading.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Let's be real, most people wouldn't bother report it, and even more people don't use the default Windows folders. I don't know a single person who uses the "downloads" folder. I only use it to leave garbage I'm going to sort or delete later.

Several people on this forum alone have had stuff deleted including me. The odds are certainly not 5 out of 2,000,000.

A cumulative update is available right now, I wonder what M$ will frack up next.

Edit: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464330/windows-10-update-kb4464330

WHY WOULD THEY EVER TOUCH THAT TO BEGIN WITH!? Jesus procreating Christ.

And if that was the reason, that would mean the default x64 copy of Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft's own site sets a group policy by default to wipe the downloads folder periodically. W T F!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Mufflore likes this.
  12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    ^ my thoughts too.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah it can't be group policy. Not many of us would even want a time bomb on their profile lol. It seems to be a onedrive issue related to its auto-save feature (aka "KFR")

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-10-rs5-build-17763-17-rtm-refresh.423378/

14. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    No :p

Caesar likes this.

16. I might be late to the party but ... errr mmm a lot of people image brah' - hell I'd venture to go as far as saying most people I've met do. LOL Even my "IT" inept 50+ year old mother images using the native Windows System Imaging service. Don't look at me - I didn't teach her - when I'm off work I'm tired of that crap. Google is the people's friend. As is YouTube...

Let's look at a few examples of "someone walks into a computer store" - Apple Retail, Best Buy, Wall-Mart, and the Microsoft Store. Granted this is the United States I can't speak for Europe, Canada - SEA, Australia etc... Excluding Wall-Mart each brick & mortar store is specifically tailored to include a purchasing experience including offering or involving External Hard-Drives, Cloud-Storage - some form of a backup plan.

It's in their best interest to turn data services into profit and sell it as peace-of-mind. Often on the back-end of the way those services function whether or not the customer/user is aware, "passively or actively" Imaging is involved. Now with E-tailing becoming more popular this affects things somewhat but as the Internet is more attractive than ever people aren't stupid - they're active and aware of data-loss.

People can walk into stores and the above scenarios play out or they acquaint themselves accordingly online via News articles, blogs or YouTube tech Channels that are now more than ever reaching subscribers in the millions.

- Point made.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2018
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think maybe they need to use more in house beta testers instead of forcing the general public to test it.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows XP was perfectly stable after SP2 was released.

Windows 8 and 8.1 were perfectly fine as well. The only issue with 8 and 8.1 was the last of a start menu, and that was only a problem for people incapable of adapting to change. Both Windows 8 and 8.1 were perfectly stable.