Nvidia Geforce 416.16 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Oct 4, 2018.

1. bOse

bOse Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I just noticed today while playing Witcher 3 that I have some nasty screen flashes ( usually appearing near the upper left/right parts of the screen ) this has never happened before and so far ive only seen it in witcher 3

2. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Thank you for your reports.

Follow-up questions:

Have either of you left any of the 3 applications I mentioned (Firefox, PUBG, Phase Shift) running for any significant amount of time during this period?
    If you use Firefox, do you leave it running whilst gaming?
    What powerplan do you use in NVCPL (Optimal, Adaptive, High performance)?
    What powerplan do you use in Windows (Power saver, Balanced, High performance, custom)?

I ask the last 2 questions because Afterburner logged a short change in P-state (from P8 to P0, and back to P8) at the exact same time index as my last TDR.
    Perhaps that's normal behavior, but since I use a 3000ms polling period for AB they usually don't coincide.

bOse likes this.
  3. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Yes in one case FF was open for over two weeks
    Yes
    Adaptive
    Bitsum Highest Power (The one that installs with their tools)

That would be normal behaviour during a crash.
    HTH

4. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Yes, hopefully.
    I might be barking up the wrong tree entirely, and there are no doubt aspects to this problem I possess no knowledge of. Collecting data is all I can currently do.

Thanks again.

Edit: I searched the Guru3D forums and found people reporting TDR's in FF with drivers as old as 381.65 (back then FF didn't recover and the window went completely black).
    Not particularly useful info for me personally, but perhaps for someone else with the right means to investigate (like nvidia or microsoft).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

5. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Problems with Shadows in PUBG with these drivers.

6. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Lol! I was like that until I actually started playing and then gameplay, story, visuals, atmosphere just grabbed me and couldn't stop.
    Would get Witcher 2 eventually, looked really good.
    The issue I came across was DSR not working properly using game settings for Windowed and Borderless window, while setting Dsr res 3840x2160 Fullscreen, resulted in the game freezing with a CTD shortly after.
    411.70 doesn't have that issue...good encouraging @tensai28

More than likely this driver.The issues are different for everyone across different titles and even regular PC use.
    Pretty sure if you roll back a version your issue should be solved.

bOse and tensai28 like this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    seems like alot of the game start issues with the driver are just the "use windows defaults" settings messing stuff up, and stops happening if you switch to use nvidia settings, then back to use windows settings

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't use Firefox, I use Chrome, and I don't ever leave it open when gaming, I don't have anything open when I game apart from quite often HWInfo64 for the hardware monitoring. I don't play those games you listed. In NVCP I use default Global Settings for everything, apart from listing every game I play as "Prefer Maximum Performance". Power Plan in Windows 10 I use High Performance, but I have C-states enabled in BIOS down to C7 for the cores, but only C0 for the package (I've found this gives the best combination of CPU performance while maintaining low idle power consumption).

9. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Your methodology seems sound, sadly a rare thing.

10. yunielesca

yunielesca Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti
    hello!
    since installing these drivers I have a big problem of distance texture and aliasing the anisotropic filtering no longer works.

all the settings force the panel control does not work ..

i install with ddu i am on a 1080ti. as if in games the resolution was below the native!

Can you help me ? thank you very much ! Sorry for my english.

11. Try the previous version of this driver or wait until next driver that probably comes up this week

12. yunielesca

yunielesca Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti
    thanks ! i tried but same issues and windows still blurry too :/

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I haven't experienced any stability issues with the drivers so far in the games I've been recently playing (Forza Horizon 4, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, etc) but I have come across a strange issue with low GPU and CPU usage in a couple of games using both the v411.63/70 and v416.16 drivers.

The games are Insomnia: The Ark (which uses Unreal Engine 4) and PathfInder: Kingmaker (which uses Unity Engine). They both show sub-60 fps framerates in areas of the game yet GPU usage is low (under 40% in both games) and so is the CPU usage (again under 40%). Setting the profile to Prefer Max. Performance doesn't work and in the case of the former it has hub areas which run at 24-28% in areas with NPCs such as the hub area and over 60 fps in the corridor/indoor sections. My GPU is so underutilised in Insomnia: The Ark that if refuses to go above the default 1,557 MHz core speed! With Kingmaker, the game is running better but again the dungeon I'm playing through at the moment is frequently dipping below 60 fps, down to 52 fps in places, but yet CPU and GPU usage is well below 40%.

Is this an issue with the driver or the games?

I noticed that Windows 10 Pro v1809, which I installed a couple of weeks ago, now allows Game mode to be toggled on and off. By default, it is enabled but should this setting be off? In the previous build of Windows, v1803, enabled Game mode actually made performance noticeably worst so I never enabled it in any game. With the changes to the Game bar, which removes the Game mode toggle, it is no longer obvious if the game is used Game mode or not.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Last time I tested the whole game mode gamebar thing, I ended up just enabling game mode but all other options off (I don't stream or have a need for game bar).
    Now, in 1809 I have it the same, game mode on.
    I noticed now notifications like Flux doesn't make my game go to taskbar/minimized now.
    I read game mode does that in 1809 now, keeps less from interfering but I didn't test with it off.
    I mainly run BF4, BF1 and BFV all run smooth so I have no complaints.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Just in relation to your last paragraph, Game Mode only used to make performance worse in an older build of Windows, v1803 is fine with Game Mode, they updated Game Mode once & from that point on it doesn't result in less performance (can't remember which build it was though where they made the update). On the older builds Game Mode didn't always work well with games that used all cores close to 100% - I confirmed with F1 2015 testing in Storm conditions which pushes my CPU to max. The problem was that Game Mode used to leave 2 threads for the Operating System and then just dedicate the remaining threads 100% to the game, and this resulted in less threads being available for game use. In the updated version of Game Mode they scrapped the "2 threads for the Operating System" thing, so now a game can use all the threads of a CPU. Since that update to Game Mode I don't see any performance reduction using Game Mode. I'd be surprised if Game Mode is your problem, but it's easier enough for you test by toggling it on/off. I use Game Mode on all my games.

AsiJu likes this.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    1809 has been pulled so no wonder why i wasn't getting it. I thought something was wrong with it and i'm glad i never jump on Windows Updates straight away.

17. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hey, got any written source on this? I'd like to evaluate. Especially CPU thread info.

Also want to ask do people using 1809 turn "fullscreen optmizations" on/off(file properties) and are there any performance/stability/usability changes related to it? There were in previous Windows versions, at least for me.

Finally I've read that there is fps counter that 1809 Game Mode has, is it useful, accurate and does it take any resources compared to other fps counters? Is it logging to file, does it support OSD, etc...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Ah I dont use DSR, I perfectly aware of Witcher 3 look mindblowing, imo So does Witcher 2 still does cranked up and that is with out supersampling, but my OCD demand i play things in order

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, the written source is myself & my own testing. I showed the results over on notebookreview forums, following are the links to my testing & findings.

How Game Mode used to work before Creators Fall Update (2017):
    shifting Operating System onto 2 threads & leaving rest of threads available for game: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-391#post-10500505
    Performance results of Game Mode vs No Game Mode (the problem when the game wants to use all threads to 100%): http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-389#post-10500029

How Game Mode works after Creators Fall Update (2017):
    Operating System no longer shifted onto two reserved threads, and now games can use all threads of CPU, performance of Game Mode no longer an issue if CPU wants/needs to use all threads of CPU to 100%:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-431#post-10618502

You'll have to read those posts and dig around there to understand what I learned, but it's based on my testing.

hemla likes this.
  20. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Quite a find, thanks. Did you try with "Fullscreen Optimizations" turned off(file properties->compatibility)?