Nvidia Geforce 416.16 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Oct 4, 2018.

1. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Afraid not. I wouldn't bother reporting this again if I had left something so obvious untested.

As I said, it doesn't happen on all systems (verified one other system where it happens (Haswell, 1070), and another where it doesn't (Haswell, 980ti - same as mine, previously Ivy Bridge), and since FF recovers gracefully these days it's a "blink and you miss it" kind of thing. Unless of course you're running a different application which doesn't support recovering when FF TDR's, then you're left with a seemingly inexplicable crash instead.

Because of how quickly FF recovers - making the TDR's difficult to notice - I created a filter in event viewer to track these occurences, using "Display" as source, and "4101" as EventID. Unfortunately my logs are incomplete since Windows wipes the log with every major update (I found that out too late), so all I have are the ones created since i did a clean install back in May; I've had a total of 20 TDR's since then. It's not nearly as bad as it once was, and the most stable drivers TDR maybe once or twice a month. Both 411 & 416 have been unusually bad.

I'm not typing this looking for advice anymore, it's just for posterity at this point.

2. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    Curious, have you guys tried DX11 just to see if it starts/crashes?

3. IDSG89

IDSG89 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    Im having video corruption recording with shadowplay

This is a example

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I was having crashes even on dx11 games like mirrors edge catalyst. I ended up reverting back to the previous driver (411.70) and everything has been fine since. This just seems to be a bad driver for the 2080ti. Feels like it was a rush job for ray tracing and wddm 2.5 support. Probably next driver will be better.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018

5. PQED

PQED Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Small update regarding this issue:

I talked to the owner of the system (Haswell, 980ti) which previously had no issues with TDR's - back then running Win 7 - and he has since updated to Win 10 (when 1803 was released), and has unknowingly had a total of 43 TDR's ever since. The log was clean when he was still on Win 7.

But here's where it starts to differ a bit: While he most often had FF open, his system has TDR'd just running PUBG, which he interpreted as just PUBG being buggy and not related to drivers. He's been running 397.64 the entire time since installing W10.
    I don't own or play PUBG, and thus I can't confirm if it would behave the same way on my system.

However, with older driver sets I've previously reported that I had TDR's playing Phase Shift (with even greater frequency than FF at that), even with Firefox turned off. But since I haven't played it for a long time now, I've left it out of my more recent statements as it could only be regarded as unconfirmed with more current drivers.

I can only urge those of you running W10 with an nvidia gpu (especially if you run any of the applications mentioned above) to check your logs, this issue might be more widespread than it originally seemed, and can only benefit from having more data exposed.

Edit: By all means check even if you're running an AMD gpu, as this could conceivably be a Windows/Microsoft issue.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    It seems like every time a new WDDM driver version comes out, problems like this happen. I would say yes, it most like could be WDDM 2.5. Give it another driver when it comes out.

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I was curious so I ran "Display" and "4101" filters on the Windows System event log, and I only received one such event (25th Sept). So that's one event in the last 1.5 months since I reset my operating system. I'm fairly certain that was related to me testing out a new GPU overclock. Looks like I'm free from these issues. (I've always been upgrading to the latest NVidia driver since they've been coming out).

8. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    zero in three months.

9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
  10. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    I have a GTX 1060 3GB, PNY model with the October update in Windows 10. I noticed that when I start a game that the desktop colors will get brighter, or it's as if the desktop went from Full Dynamic to Limited Colors. This happened when I started Riders of Icarus. Would this be a profile issue? Has anyone else notice any changing of the colors in this manner?

11. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I figured out that the switching between the monitor refreshrates with active gsync is not working properly. (desktop 60hz, NVCP: "highest available" in my case 144hz with my ROG Swift PG278Q)...The monitor stays at 60hz. That ends in a 60hz cap with vsync on. Normally i use vsync to limit the fps @144. I also tried the previous driver, same for me.. Maybe its a Windows issue. I´m on Windows 1809. The game were i can reproduce the problem is Crysis 3. Can anybody confirm this?

12. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    I had the same issue with the 411 driver, DDU uninstall and reinstall of the same driver and it came good.

13. goodsmac

goodsmac Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    I tried that already.. I also used DDU.. I try that again maybe it works this time... thanks so far..

14. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    The Witcher 3 stopped running, it would crash to desktop sometimes the whole system, immediately after launch.

Uninstalled and re-installed, same thing, got fed up to the point i deleted all saves and config files (lvl 26 mind you) installed again and the effer worked.

Turns out now no matter whether it's "Windowed, Borderless W, Fullscreen" Dsr x4 is no longer working with this game...well it's working but not scaling properly with W & BW...fullscreen setting to 3840x2160 results in an app freeze then CTD.
    Disabling FS Optimizations does nothing.

Going to roll back to 399.24 to see if it's the driver or Windows, realllllly hoping it's the driver. :(

Shadow Warrior 2, Watch Dogs 2, Skyrim SE don't have this issue.

I realize...going back to 399.24 for the time being.Hopefully they still play nice with RS5 1809.

15. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    If you want to stay a little more current, reverting to 411.70 resolved my CTD's.

16. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Good point....411.63 didn't have that issue with Witcher 3 so might give 411.70 another go and work my way down if it still persists.

tensai28 likes this.
  17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Guys, if I have LG OLED TV . I don't really use the AUDIO from the TV . but because every time I restart windows and NVIDIA always enable the Digital Audio HDMI port for LG TV instead Turn Off Audio I think it causes some issues that are hard to understand.

Even if I don't really use the HDMI Audio should I install it for properly detect and maybe workaround the issue that with the Nvidia Driver that always put the HDMI as priority and not my Eclaro sound card ?

I mean there are more ways, like disabling the device from the Sound Playback devices or disable from Device Manager, but again I am not sure if those are causing other weird issues. especially now with 1809 october I maybe also need new Eclaro drivers and there is the same bug happens with 1709 and 1803 that causing the Surround to go back to Stereo everytime you right click on the Speaker tray icon... that including the GSX 1000 USB sound device.

NVidia, Manuael ? could you fix this bug with the HDMI that return to ON every windows restart ? and just stay off until otherwise decided by the user ? it's like since 360.xx or something

Also , is it possible to install only the Nvidia HDMI audio drivers alone ? if uninstalled to check ?

18. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    411.70 solved The Witcher 3 issue and I forgot I made a backup of my saves while adding mods at lvl. 26, but just before I find Ciri so not very far off at all. :D

AsiJu likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what issue with Witcher 3? then again I still not install the game cause I Still not finished Witcher 2, so by the time I get around to Witcher 3 I probably wont even be onthe 411.63 drivers.

One worst mistake I ever made in my pc gaming years is start messing with mods before I actual beat a game, cause at the point the game probably never gets finished

20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I don't really fully understand the problem you're having, but I do know that you can install NVidia drivers without installing the NVidia HDMI Audio drivers (that's how I do it because I don't need HDMI). I believe Windows will install it's own drivers for HDMI then, but not sure on that. Either way, maybe choosing the option not to install the NVidia HDMI drivers will help you. (During the NVidia driver installation you choose Custom, and then go from there.)