Sound Blaster Z and 1809 upgrade

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Morpheous416, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Ok folks... here we go again.

Bad enough.. upgrading from any previous versions wipe out settings MS says will stay safe.. explorer, file folders.. etc, but driver issues are a pain in the butt.

With 1803, the last version of Creative's drivers released Jan 2017, had no issues with any sound options or settings. However, with 1809, I can no longer use 5.1 surround. The Headphone's settings work, 2.0/2.1 works just fine. If I choose 5.1, only the left/right speakers work... all the others are cut off completely. Usual troubleshooting have been done...

Not sure if Creative will release an update, highly doubtful.. so, just giving a head's up if anyone else runs into this issue, and finds a solution or work around.

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Send Creative a message on Facebook they will answer to you...report the problem there.

And tell us what happened...im also using Z.

3. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Well... it seems to go deeper into Windows.

Not only are the default sound drivers show, when Creative is completely removed from the system... using the sound test is even weirder.

Test:
    Left = FL and RL
    Right = FR and RR
    Center = FL and FR (no distinct center sound)
    Rear speakers test similar to front ones, but you can hear both rear channels in either single side.

Last version of VLC is also torn to shreds. Opens with the volume at 0. Using the mouse only brings it to 5%. Going into settings and manually adjusting seems to be a work around, by setting the sound at 95%, and leaving the box checked.

I'll see what Creative has to offer.. but if it's the end of the line for that series anyways, I'll go back and stay with 1803. MS and Creative aren't going to be bothered updating anything two years or older... although I suspect it's something with the audio subsystem(s) in the upgrade.

4. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    I have the ZX no issues after the 1809 update whatsoever only settings reset (i had to re-enable my settings in the SBX Studio panel). I'm using stereo sound + headphones.

5. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    That's currently the problem I am locked into. I only have Headphones/Stereo Sound.

In the Creative control panel, I can choose 2.0/2.1 or 5.1. 2.0/2.1 only allows the L/R speakers to work.. no sub. Unchecking the Full Range box has no affect on bringing up the sub woofer.

5.1 as shown below, only the L/R speakers work.. the other four have no signal to them, even though they are "lit" up in the diagram.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    1) I have a 2.1 system and my sub is playing fine.

2) If you don't have any surround sound i will advise you to re-install the latest creative driver package and clean any previous drivers + disable windows automatic driver update. There is a specific driver from windows update that causes issues like yours and in some cases causes 0 sound.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Thanks for the reply!

Ok.. among other things that started stacking up, I decided to just go ahead and do a clean install of Windows. Wiped out the programs, however it left my folders intact on the main drive.

I did get back the 5.1 when Windows installed.. as it used Creative's driver 6.0.102.50 from 12/20/2016, which I believe to be the second to last one available. It's your generic 5.1 sound, all speakers working separately again.. but without Creative's EQ and Crystalizer.. and all the other features; pretty much pointless.
    I have yet to try and install the drivers as I've come across more problems then just sound.

Ran into not being able to create new folders, new files.. etc. Fixed that with a reg key fix.
    Now.. all my folders no longer have all five tab options under Properties. The only two now, are General and Previous Versions. All my shared folders from the network have been reset to defaults, and since I have to fix all this crap.. I can't share anything until then.

The new install resolved my issues with VLC... but this headache with Explorer is nothing short of insane.

I'll keep working on it.. since I upgraded another of my systems without a hitch. Everything works as if nothing changed at all.

8. Morpheous416

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Ok... after a few hours, I finally resolved it.. well, for now.

I did contact Creative, but.. as anyone in tech support already knows, they're just going to give you a run down of steps you've taken a thousand times over, before they either A: send it up the chain to development, or B: state your device is OOW and they don't give a crap. Creative's response was to make sure Windows doesn't have a driver installed, but if you remove anything from the device manager, and reboot.. it's going to install one. If the generic driver isn't there the first time you run the driver install package, it will stop saying there's no device on the system.

Wiped the drive.
    Installed 1803, video and sound drivers.
    Installed 1809, video is fine, but drivers are a bust (again).
    Only removed the devices from Device Manager...(do not scan for hardware changes)
    Reinstalled the drivers using the "repair" option during install.

Windows now recognizes, and supports 5.1 thru the Sounds control panel. (not Creative's CP) Ran a few tests, and each speaker is it's own creature again. Opened up Creative's CP and left the Speaker selection set to Headphones. Can use the EQ just fine, and the Crystalizer.

It works for now.. not messing with it.

Appreciate all the replies! Thanks.

9. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    I hope they will make a newer driver package in the near future with updated features and full optimization for W10 RS5 1809.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on Creative providing driver support for anything that's not on store shelves right now...

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Thats never gonna happen from Creative.

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    [duplicate post removed]

13. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I'm on Windows 10 1809 and I just updated my sound card to Sound Blaster Z everything is working fine including Dobly Digital Live and DTS.
    I removed the old drivers with Revo Uninstaller also removed the old Dobly Digital Live and Dts packs.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yeah all of us have been hoping for this, but doubt they will honestly.

15. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Don't be so sure mate! I have an old X-Fi from 2007 and creative made a complete functioning software package for windows 10 in 2016 so..! ;)
    Same goes for you!! ;)

I think they will do but despite that i don't have any issues with the current software package in Win10 1809 so..! :)

16. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    My Creative X-Fi USB HD still gets updates. :)

Dj_ALeX likes this.
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So I have X-Fi too and I wouldn't call what we have now for Win10 "a complete functioning software package" really.

18. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    What do you mean? Most of the features are working fine.

19. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, sure, if you discount the fact that the driver install is happening in such a weird way that I've had to do a full system reinstall once to make it work.

20. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    I'm afraid that i can't understand you. I never experienced any sort of issues like yours in any creative software!