Intel Z399 the new successor of X299?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    PBC heard from a PC manufacturer that the successor of the X299 chipset is going to be called Z399, a chipset used for the followup to Skylake-X. And yeah, that naming does conflict a little with AM...

Intel Z399 the new successor of X299?

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD trolling Intel hard with model naming.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Solfaur likes this.
  4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

-Tj- likes this.

5. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    or simply put.. They dont see any need for 22+ cores.. Only AMD making them because it sounds ridiculous - which it is - so they get free advertising in many forums because AMD fanboys talk so loudly about it. But who uses it. Sure.. there are a few in between with us in these forums.. but in reality we are only a little part of the overall customer base.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Another chipset??? I thought the X299 was supposed to last 2 or 3 generations... Intel is creating a giant mess with the continuous release of unnecessary chipsets just for the sake of money... And aggravating their customers in the process, me included...

carnivore, Solfaur and schmidtbag like this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I see you aren't familiar with the Ryzen technology. AMD can make Threadrippers very easily by manufacturing small chips and gluing them together (figuratively speaking) to produce a HEDT CPU. Intel currently needs to compete with error-prone mammoth chips it would rather sell as super expensive Xeons.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to decide for others if what they need or want is ridiculous or not.

KissSh0t likes this.
  8. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yep, it was speculated that X299 will get the short stick on future CPU support. I mean, there are still X79 boards manufactured by some OEMs in China, often sold on AliExpress or TaoBao in a bundle with pre-mounted Xeon processor.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would argue the opposite. As much as I like to blame Intel for causing conflicts and using terrible naming schemes, I'd say AMD is the one causing a problem here.

All that being said... despite AMD mucking the chipset naming schemes, Intel is also creating a mess regarding chipsets. Both companies are causing a problem here.

10. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    I use CPU rendering and believe me SmootyPoody, i need as many cores as i can get, you can check Corona renderer benchmark in this same page, that's the render engine that i use the most.. threadripper 2 just obliterate it! i would love to see Intel hi core count CPUs in the TR2 price range...

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Starting with Ryzen AMD decided to copy the naming scheme of Intel and it makes sense from a marketing POV. AMD realized the influence of Intel´s brand power over normal consumers and decided that with a similar one it would be easier for people to understand what AMD products are offering. I would prefer something different from Intel but i can´t critize AMD for this.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I completely agree with the first part, but why should Intel change their ways when AMD copied them?

13. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    It's been going on long before Ryzen, but you've got it right. Years ago Intel differentiated processors by the line and the speed, "Pentium 3, 1ghz" or "Pentium 4, 2.5 ghz". At the time AMD was faster, clock for clock, so they labeled their comparable processor like this: Pentium 4 2.8ghz = Athlon XP 2800 (actually 2.1ghz...).

Can't knock AMD for leveraging names that help draw comparison to Intel (market leader) products. Now what would be interesting to see: if AMD starts the next naming trend. We are a long way off from that now, but assuming rumors/predictions on Intel 14vs10nm and Zen 2 are remotely true, entirely possible that AMD could be the market leader whose product names get copied

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well i didn´t wrote (directly) that Intel should change their naming ways although i think they should. Their naming conventions have lost all their meaning, like what the hell are the I3/5/7/9 supposed to mean??? They don´t indicate core counts, features or speeds, they only indicate that higher is better and more expensive...

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ah I see what you mean now. I would agree with this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Just release the damn thing already :p

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Not really worried at all, since I have no plans of switching my 7800x for those new processors any way, happy with what i have.But I'm sure they would release an new bios update to add the support of them to existing X299 chipset any way.

18. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    That gonna be for the 28 core "Xeon" processors with the big socket.
    Poor Inte's AIB partners, they must have Inventory nightmare.

19. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    Sure. I never said it wasn´t easy to make. It is.. But my comment has nothing to do with how easy it is to make. ;-)

Yes. For you it is great :) As I said, some needs it.. A few.. But 99% dont need 22+ cores.

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it's easy to make and there's a market for it, plus it's good for the company's image, then how exactly is it ridiculous? Because it being ridiculous is what your comment was saying.

The market is full of things 99% of the market doesn't need, some of them vital to many people's lives, such as medicines and special medical equipment, others vital to many people's livelihoods. Manufacturing them and selling them is anything but ridiculous. 99% of people don't need sports cars either, but it's still a pretty nice market. That's capitalism for you.