High End Audiophile Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    [​IMG]

We needed some headphone love to kickstart this thread again :)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yay, glad I spotted this.

My Bottlehead Mainline headphone amp kit has gone missing.
    USPS tracking said they tried to deliver but they told a porky because I was home at the time.
    They left me with no way to contact them.
    Even their website doesnt help, its for US people only.
    Bottlehead are helping sort it out :)

4. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Sorry to hear this...hope they get it sorted soon

Mufflore likes this.

5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I managed to snag myself an SVS PB16 Ultra a few months back... I've had a permanent smile since I plugged it in...
    [​IMG]

OnnA, The1, Mufflore and 2 others like this.
  6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks Gridiron. I got it, phew!!
    USPS stated delivery was attempted when no such thing happened.
    It had been handed over to a UK postal company who were awaiting payment of fees, a message was sent to me in the post.
    Terrible coordination but a good result in the end.

I will check the contents and set an area to build it but am tied up for a while so it could take a week or so to start.
    The wood looks amazing quality, I am loathe to paint it. Varnish only.
    I'm looking forward to this :)

7. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti

I look forward in following your build log
    I know many people think that tubes are a real hassel andthat they color the sound....ect ect....
    There is no closer sound to analog than a good tube amp IMHO.

Mufflore likes this.
  8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    When I used to have an tube amp the little dot 2 MK 2.0, I had some mullard and then voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tube's that had different sound signature then each other. Which I also used together with the Novosibirsk 6h6p-I power tube's. The Voshkod worked very well with the DT880 premiun 600, while the mullard's that I had worked very nicely with the T90. For the while that i owned the little dot 2 Mk 2.0, I did enjoyed using the tube amp, til I moved to the HE-500 which is when I had to move away from the little dot, to an Asgard 2 for the different headphones.

Currently I been eying the SMSL SU-8, since it's looks very interesting to me. The Massdrop X grace design balanced dac also looks interesting, but that one wont be done being made til late 2019. I doubt that I would wait that long. Even tho I enjoy the AE-5 as an source into my jotunheim and it been sounding great, I starting to miss having an separated Dac.

Granted my Jotunheim does have the original dac module, but it sound bad even in comparison to the AE-5, which does an better job as an source for the jot.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    According to these test https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements-of-smsl-su-8-dac.3778/ Topping D50 is better than SMSL SU-8 and the balanced outs could be better.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I seen the D50 before, but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have balanced outputs, that's the main reason why I'm eying the SMSL SU-8 besides it's price. Usually Dac's that has Balances tend to be more then $249 dollars,that has the specs I'm looking for.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Balanced doesn't automatically mean better though.

12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Watch this guy :D

tunejunky and vestibule like this.
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I well aware that having balanced doesn't automatically mean that one dac is better then another that it also comes down to how the dac is designed etc. That doesn't change the fact that the SU-8 fits what I'm looking for, while the D50 does not.

People been mentioning that the D50 and the SU-8 are similar to each other in sound. Some are also saying that the Su-8 is just an D50 with balanced outputs. Many of that are coming from those that own both of them to compare them.

SU-8 isn't the only one I looked at of course, I looked at plenty more, but most of them are pass the amount that I willing to pay for an dac with balanced, since I trying to keep it in the $249 range. I not looking forward to paying $350-499 dollar's for an balanced Dac again, I paid that much for the Gustard X12 when I had it, I trying to avoid that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I've just ordered a Creative SXFI amp because I was curious about it simulated 5.1 sound, it can be used with any headphone, guess that mean I can use my higher end cans....and IEM's. Seems there is an overwhelming demand for it in my neck of the woods, I gotta wait two weeks to get mine.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I been curious about that also, I be waiting for your results with it. I wonder what else they will make using the tech.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  18. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ok guys need some help. I'm looking to get some headphones for home and I'm going with 32ohm or so I won't need a amp and I need closed back, I have huge CD collection but can never listen to becuase wife is always around and to bad to becuase I have nice speakers. Anyhow becuase of wife I'm going closed back otherwise I would go with some 598's. So I'm looking at these .. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 32 ohm Studio Headphone OR Sennheiser HD 569 Closed Back 23 ohm ?? Or does anyone have better suggestion and I'm looking to stay under $200.00 dollars. Thanks in advance for any help. John [Splash]

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd rather consider HD598Cs. Those are pretty much closed HD598, you get more bass, cause closed and less soundstage.

If you go with DT770, consider 80Ohms instead. I've read many people bashing beyerdynamics 32Ohms headphones for poor sound.
    And most devices are capable of powering 250Ohms (with average sensitivity) headphones in my experience. Can't get loud enough to make your ears bleed, but loud enough for me.

20. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks, yes I was looking at the 598Cs too but wasn't sure and I appreciate the info about the 250 ohm I was curious about that also. I figured I should be ok with the 250 ohm but wasn't sure I needed some confirmation from someone about so thanks. I'll go back and look back over some saved links for headphones again that I was looking at and reconsider some others since the ohm I can go with is not limited. But probably leaning towards the 598Cs now I like better bass too. But while I'm blabbing here how much sound actually escapes with the open back phones? I know the open backs have much better sound but need to know about the sound so I don't annoy the wife when listening to.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018