83% of the routers contain severe security issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    One of the weaker points in your Internet infrastructure are routers, let's face it unless you have automated firmware updates often you purchase a router, and then never update it again as you do...

83% of the routers contain severe security issues

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I've actually checked periodically if there's a new firmware available, but Zyxel isn't exactly well-known for bothering to support their older hardware. I guess I should scrap a perfectly functional device and get a new one.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Does not sound like average G3D member. I did last update 3 weeks ago. And automated update is hazard as I user can turn router off since he is not aware that it is bad time.

Maddness likes this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm curious if my Gateway updates itself? it's comcast but I do own it.
    looks like this

[​IMG]

5. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
  6. Yakk

Yakk Guest

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Can't complain with Gargoyal, any published vulnerabilities are usually patched within a couple days of being issued, and the OpenWRT code is pretty tight. Who knows for unpublished though.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Nope...your wrong.....or is it "you are wrong" ?

8. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    What if I don't care?

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Thats why i bought an Asus modem/router (Asus is always updating the fw)

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Ups looks like i´ve been busted... I´ve never updated the firmware of any of my routers...

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, mine got update even because GDPR came. And they had to add obvious question... And had to inform me how much data they are taking about my home network.
    And that they distribute gathered data to 3rd party. And so on.

Not funny text to read, but at least they deliver updates. (Not that anyone could ever hack my other "router" as its terminal is only accessible via wiring of usb uart ttl.)

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The automated updates are also an attack vector so you can't win for losing on routers. I just use a second router on top of whatever the ISP sends out. Turn the wireless off in the ISP router. That way an attacker has to go through two different brands of routers. Car, house, and router security is like being chased by a bear. Just got the be faster than the slowest guy. In this case just make it painful enough nobody wants to jack with it.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I wonder how well Vigor modems/routers hold up.
    No mention in their report.

14. sherpagoodness

sherpagoodness Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ VEGA64
    Order_66 and insp1re2600 like this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this common knowledge no? especial if you have ISP provided router, Sadely I need to still replace the isp provided router sagemcom i have here

16. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    must be joking, i got an rpac68u and its only had like one update a year, only within the past couple of month has it even been patched for krack.

yep or at least openwrt, i use a modded bthomehub5 with openwrt installed. cost like £15 and runs rings round anything iv had on dsl. cable was a different matter, i preferred the ubiquiti offerings or an old atom box tbh.

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    At this stage what PC part doesn't have some form of security issues? 99% of the time it ain't worth worrying about. Just seems at this day and age with PCs being so advanced and i guess hackers also advancing faster than security there doesn't seem to be a 100% safe system in the world.

Though the likelihood of someone hacking into your random system at home seems rather small, There is what over a billion computers and more smart phones and tablets in use right now, Pretty sure the Lotto odds are better than that

antiseptic likes this.
  18. sherpagoodness

sherpagoodness Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ VEGA64
    you'd be surprised about all the bot-nets and scanners that are just constantly searching the web for an open port or vunerability. I probably spend more time than I should thinking about it, but if you ever watch the logs on a firewall it's kinda scary. Probably nothing will happen, but the climate right now with how many people are potentially unprotected or blissfully unaware is rife for disaster.

tunejunky likes this.
  19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

the IoT things like refrigerators and washing machines steal the headlines from the deepest penetrating "smart home" products...cctv monitoring, remote door locking/ opening, and baby monitors...and oh yeah that neat TV you just bought all for a heck of a lot less money than a fridge with an all in one pc, and smartphone with a 17" monitor

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There are few things:
    - Purchase price
    - Cost of ownership
    - Knowledge required for setup and maintenance (Increases cost of ownership)
    - Services required by home user

From economical point of view, regular routers win. And very few users really need or even want anything more than those routers deliver.