Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    To me it seems every time any game is released someone is offended, lols.

signex and RealNC like this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    they want to make ciri in the witcher netflicks series black now. :p cant wait till triss and yen are trans, arab, or wtf ever. this crap thing about the witcher, is there is tons of raciism and many diverse races and skin colors that you have to start color swapping the main characters. it is stupid to force that crap. you can cover all the PC topics within the witcher universe wo changing any damn thing.

i dont care really about ass creed games they are clearly alt history with impossible tech and fake arse factions trying to dominate/save the world. they can take some MORE liberties with history.

but tv shows claming to be historically accurate putting mass diveristy in ancient greece, which was anything but diverse. or claim battlefield is historically accurate with bionic disabled women fighting on the front lines.

DONT CLAIM YOUR GAME/SHOW IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE IF IT IS COMPLETE PC BS. that is all.

BangTail and Dragam1337 like this.
  3. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    @cerebus23 - I'm really not sure what your blather is all about? But I've a feeling, that perhaps you're taking these entertainment products a bit too seriously / too invested in them...

Anyway; A video about the Post Launch content for the game came out today. They mentioned Assassins Creed 3 Remastered in an odd off-hand way (IMO).

4. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Just cancelled the standard version to get the gold edition. :)

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The lore doesn't mean much these days but the first hero to wield the blade? wat? What about Bayek and Aya (and the guy Aya attributed it to)? :S

6. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Worked. :) Though I don't own the game itself yet but it's part of the UPlay account now.

So that's the gladius (Xiphos?) next up? Well that will be interesting to see. (Six pack and a red leather cape? Ha ha. Ah no those aren't the Spartans we're looking for here.)

8. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Awesome! More weapons are always nice... >)

9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    No sli support, no buy from me.

BangTail and Witcher29 like this.
  10. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:

Game looks amazing even on xbox. I wasnt interested in buying that game but I must say I like what I'm seeing :).

11. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Yep, even a step up from origins at that was awesome, can't wait for this.

12. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Dunno if this interests anyone, but I noticed today in the Uplay client for the game, there is the game news;
    " Eager to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey?".

From that news snippet, you can click on the " Unlock Rewards" and it'll take you to the Ubisoft Club page, and you can see the Uplay reward unlocks as well as the achievements.

https://club.ubisoft.com/da-DK/game/assassins-creed-odyssey/PC/rewards
    I assume, that if you follow this link, it'll auto correct itself to your native language and login.

13. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    They know nothing about Greece or its history so don't blame them!
    I hope the historical journeys/events in the game will be accurate enough otherwise this game will be a failure. I'm not against the game in any way so don't get the wrong idea but i'm greek and i want to see if this game will be worth my time. Graphics and gameplay from the videos i've seen, seems to be pretty good!

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  14. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Races (a definition that I don't share at all) have always been mixed, thanks to the continuous cultural exchanges in the Mediterranean area, talking about white/black/yellow/purple is hilarious. An exception in Greece were the Spartans, that was indeed a world apart, but let's try not to forget they also came from somewhere else and weren't indigenous.

Anyway, the game won't be a failure due to lack of historical accuracy, what matters the most is the gameplay and how quests have been made.

AsiJu likes this.
  15. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    In a rather amusing gameplay video (I think it was on IGN or Gamespot, not sure which one but it's about "infiltrating" an enemy camp) I noticed a couple of things.

- The A.I. in general is absolutely atrocious, at least inside that camp (nothing new, A.I. in general has seen very little improvements in about 300 years).

- A.I.-related again, many guards just don't react to very obvious (sometimes loud) footsteps coming their way by the player that tries to 'infiltrate' and carefully approach them from sides or behind. One example that literally made me laugh was when the player would 'sneak' his way for a takedown from behind but did so on a wooden surface, there's loud footsteps as he approaches the guard, with absolutely ZERO reaction whatsoever (no turning around, no "HUH?! what was that?!" bare minimum reaction, plain nothing and silence).

- Another example during that same video, would be when the player keeps sneaking around in bushes (within the camp, of course; always need those conveniently-placed bushes in a camp just in case an enemy tries to infiltrate, you never know!), and would sometimes literally be 'seen' by an enemy guard, before immediately going back into the bushes to force the guard to 'lose track' of your whereabouts. This 'system' for A.I. "searching" (for you, when you're hidden) is nothing new of course. But it's definitely not improved in this game, apparently. What happens is a 'white bar' fills up as an enemy spots you, if it fills up completely he "spotted" you and starts chasing. Alright... but from THAT point on the guard should just KEEP chasing yeah? NOPE! lol, go back in a bush and they usually go "HUH?! Where is he?!?!?!?!", exclaiming themselves out of disbelief for losing track of you while they search as you happen to be about 3 or 4 meters away from them in that ONE SINGLE bush ahead (or the only one in the vicinity). Where ELSE could you have gone to in the span of the past 10 seconds, I wonder?! Oh, that bush over there? Certainly not!!! He probably burrowed into the ground! ... -_-

- Now, the weird parts... regarding enemy guards that you can "capture". The thing is you're an enemy, you infiltrate a camp full of guards, you sneak up to one of them (whom happens to not give two rat's arse about your footsteps) and then you strangle him from behind and... OH... actually, "You're strong! Good!" (says the player character), "Join me!". Huh... whut? Just like that? Lo and behold YES, indeed, 'just like that'; that one guard who NEVER met you a single time in his entire life, who gets sneaked-up from behind by some crazy man or woman will let himself be "convinced" to join your cause. Yes, MAKES SENSE. The funny(ier) part is that whenever you DO capture a guard this innocently, the guard in question DISAPPEARS right there on the spot. He probably gets "added" to your army or your group or whatever, but he does NOT actually follow you, or even try to make his own way out of the now-unfriendly camp that he guarded with his life about 5.67 seconds ago. In fact, after being 'captured' they don't say a single word, and just proceed to go poof out of this world. Amazing stuff, 2018 modern gaming my friends.

Absolute immersion breakers lol ... sorry but I just can't.

- But the worst part of that is that sometimes there seems to be captives that you can free / rescue (probably part of missions, or they're always there regardless; but that's not the main point). Well, THOSE guys, however, for some reason if you do liberate / free them from their cage they do NOT disappear and apparently try to actively make their way out of the camp, sometimes being chased by guards that spot them. Ok so... why them (whom most likely happen to have been tortured, or have been malnourished, etc) but not the actual guards of the camp (when you 'capture' them)?

Anyway, there's also animations-related issues I've spotted (some animations are very 'floaty' / stiff, especially when it comes to grabbing ledges or walking on narrow surfaces). It's mostly lack of polish, or lack of 'quality pass' on the part of the animation team. An an example of visual immersion breaker (but was still functioning nonetheless) is some takedown animation involving a dagger (in the video) ended up having the dagger physically outside the enemy's body (I.E. stabbing the enemy animation didn't work for the dagger, but the animation plays out anyway so the guard dies, the player character's animation plays in a way to suggest that the dagger made it in but the dagger itself stays outside).

Now, with all this said... AS Odyssey is absolutely first AS game I'm (somewhat) interested in. But the more I see of it and the more I definitely think that they just rushed it out. That it could have benefited from another half a year of polish before release. If I do buy it (because, yes; it does interest me due to its time period and setting), however, it won't be on day one. I'll wait a couple of months to see what the patches do.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018

16. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  17. twonha

twonha Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080
    These things have been in this condition for pretty much the entirety of the franchise. It's not a matter of polish, I think, but simply saying it's good enough. It's very much a game in terms of how the world responds to the player: the depth doesn't go far beyond Super Mario, compared to almost 20 year old games like NOLF2. I think it's all supposed to fit so the player feels powerful, so long as you don't mind the complete illusion.

Origins had a non-combat mode specifically aimed at the history of the setting, perhaps that's something you could look into.

18. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Nah thanks, I do appreciate the suggestion but what I'm "looking for" is instead a development team who pays more attention to details.

* Just general thoughts here * (nothing against you, twonha)

I'm just an experienced gamer (been a gamer for about 27 years of my life by now) who now easily gets fed up by lack of care on the part of a dev team. I've seen enough rushed games in my life and to this day they're still the norm. We honestly do have to actively look for the exceptions. If you say that such things as the ones I mentioned in my post regarding that one gameplay video in an enemy camp are 'common' within the Assassin's Creed franchise througout most or even all the titles they ever made, it can only mean a few things: 1) it's mostly the same team(s) since the beginning (there's a pattern in the "way" they do things; or rather in the way they don't CARE about things), and they've barely improved on many fronts (animations quality / variety, A.I. complexity) over all those years (that stuff CAN happen if all you do over many years is basically the same recipe, no need or will to change, experiment and try different and new approaches and game systems or mechanics; inevitably results in the same meal all the time), and 2) they're always pushed beyond their own capabilities with lack of resources / experience on the subject (A.I. coders not experienced enough, or animators still too new to the industry, etc), or they lack actual development time (this one is VERY likely to be the case, because the game SHOWS a very evident lack of polish to me) to polish it - when in fact they COULD produce a much better game - if they were given one extra year of solid full-team-size-on-the-job development time.

It does upset me since I AM - ironically enough despite saying all this - interested by AS Odyssey (as I mentioned in my post, I really like the game's time period; I'm a sucker for anything Sparta / ancient Greece / Roman empire time periods). However, instead of simply ignoring the game and bashing the dev team (even though I fully know that it might well NOT be their fault at all; as I said I'm 99% sure that they simply rushed the game the same way EA vomit their shitty yearly sports games) I'll just wait to buy it whenever its price considerably goes down the drain... but I'll still buy it. There's just no way in hell I'll give money for a full-priced game (much less some 'Deluxe' edition of it) if the publishers and/or developers don't give a rat's arse about the very game's production quality to start with.

19. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    pre-load size is 39gb , full game is 45gb at launch day

20. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    rushed? the game has been in development for like 5 years

Angantyr likes this.