I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, I'm disappointed with the GTX 2080 Ti too.

Not only is its hyped ray-tracing feature for games all but absent in the reviews but the card's pricing is absolutely ridiculous considering the 25%-35% increase in performance in rasterized games over the GTX 1080 Ti. That is not something extraordinary; that's the kind of performance increase we would expect from newer hardware released 18-24 months after the previous ones!

That pricing really has put things into perspective for me though. I paid £700 for the GTX 1080 Ti which I was initially uncomfortable with have only paid £550 tops for previous generation GPUs but over the last 18 months it is proven to be a great buy. In fact, the card is so good that I really do not need the RTX 2080 Ti anyway as I am already gaming in excess of 60 fps in most games at maxed out 2560x1440 settings on a G-SYNC monitor. Had I bought one then really I would have been wasting my money.

By the time enough games have come out that actually make use of ray-tracing and DLSS then there will be better, hopefully cheaper cards available. When we need in the meantime is some serious competition from AMD to drive those ludicrous prices down.

Still, I can't help thinking that the computational heavy performance hit of ray-tracing even with these RTX cards is going to be too high for most people to use and that support for it will be sparse like hardware PhysX, HairWorks and the like. Unless AMD come up with their own variant of ray-tracing then I fear this technology might prove to be short-lived. It is almost certain that the PS5 and next Xbox will not feature ray-tracing so what incentive will there be for developers to support it in PC games outside of a few sponsored NVIDIA titles?

I would rather have had a GTX 2080 Ti personally at £700, i.e. a card with a 25%-35% performance increase but without the ray-tracing and DLSS features. Sure, I still wouldn't really need one right now but I may have more tempted to upgrade at that price point.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Wouldn't surprise me if the 2080Ti, once released (in a few weeks), will cost 200$ more since they had to do some "improvements".

Greedy nV bastards.

3. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I am in the same boat too, for once i was saving up money for 2080ti but the prices are insane here,
    1,550 euros NO THANKS.
    The only thing missing is toothpaste!!! Well the only option is too wait for AMD and possibly Intel (i hope they can pull off a suprise to Nvidia as they did with Ryzen+ Threadripper to Intel.

Dynarush_333 likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    My opinion on this is those cards are too expensive and this performance boost only affects certain titles and is mostly useless for most applications today.
    In benchmarks (all from G3D) those cards do not perform much better than the 10xx series, probably "in certain special situations", but overall ... nope.
    And paying THESE prices for tech which effectively would give me say 10% more performance in my situation is "unwise" from my perspective.

I am no NVIDIA nor an AMD fanboy, both parties charge prices for their cards which are ridiculous for the tech features they offer and considered how old they already are. From my perspective (you may disagree and I am completely fine with it!) they should reduce all prices for at least 20 - 50% (depending on the model) to get into "normal" realms again.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    The awful value of turing cards, is a live testimony of how great Pascal was and still is, it doesn't feel 2 years and half old, the performance are top notch(much like the 980TI didn't suffer the Kepler fate).

By the time those cards will be more "affordable", new cards will be on the horizon and AMD might even compete, seriously worst launch since the awful FX series.

jbscotchman and cryohellinc like this.
  6. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    I haven't played a Mario since 3D Land on the 3DS.

This Mario is bonkers. Every level is a different open world type level with many secrets to discover.

My fiancee and I were playing the other day and laughed at becoming a 12 Goomba stack. There is also a part where you need to stack up Goombas in order to make a lady Goomba fall in love with a Goomba.

The game is silly, fun, and lots of laughs.

I realize I'm derailing my own topic but frack Nvidia for this. I mean I get that they're a business, and I totally understand they're in the best position to exploit the market like this, but it doesn't mean I can't say frack you to them.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This. I miss the old days when you could buy a flagship card for $300-$350 dollars. I won't spend more than that on a video card.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    FX series launch and 20xx series launch are so different it's not even comparable.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The majority of gamers run 1080p monitors and mid range graphics cards like 1070 and below. Saying the majority of gamers avoid the RTX cards is kinda stating the obvious, they can't afford them because the majority of gamers are kids with no income high enough to afford these cards. These are not aimed at the majority of gamers. They're aimed at those who want the best and need the extra performance.

I don't know what world you live it, but it seems to be a little bit sentimental. I don't know how far into the past you want to go but the ATI X1900 XTX launched at $649 in January 2006. Yep, almost 13 years ago. That is around $820 in today's money, so yeah, a bit cheaper than the 2080ti but around the price of the 2080. Not sure what flagships you were buying for $300.

Not to mention, ATI/AMD actually competed with Nvidia back then, unlike now, when they're pretty much dead so of course the prices go up a touch due to zero competition.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Do you purposely act like an arrogant ass or does it just come to you naturally?

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't know what world
    Sorry about correcting you. At the end of the day, I'm right. You deem it arrogant. I deem it stating facts.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    no, it wasn't $300. It was $399. $560 in today's money. You can't just ignore inflation. Yes, that's cheaper than today's flagships but you could also flip it. I could say $399 was extortionate money compared to what I paid for a flagship Voodoo 3Dfx in 1997.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I was talking replying to his claim of $300 flagships and I gave a perfectly sound explanation above, just read. We were paying $650 for flagships 13 years ago, which in today's money is over $800.

Sure, the 2080ti is expensive but that's simply down to no competition from AMD. Nvidia (and AMD) run a business and when they can charge a premium, they will. Simple. They don't owe us anything. Looking at OcUK right now, the 2080ti pretty much sold out across the board.

And, how about the AMD 7990 at $999 in 2013? That is on par with the 2080ti prices, if not more. Why is everyone suddenly so upset with Nvidia charging the same? For a card that is actually worth it, compared to the 7990 which was nothing but a card that ran hot and loud and didn't bring any new tech?

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Oh so it was $400...

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well maybe I shouldn't have used the term flagship, but I do remember buying a Geforce 8800GTS 640mb for just over $300 and it lasted a long time. Then again, all this price extorting crap wasn't happening back then.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-8800-gts-amp-gtx-review,1.html

8800GTS 640 launch price was $449 12 years ago. That's $560 in today's money for "not a flagship" card. Nvidia confirmed the 2070 starting at $499 on launch. At this point, I'm pretty sure you're joking.

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Blame retailers and high demand for that, not Nvidia.

BTW, Scan UK have a Gigabyte 2080ti on preorder for £1099, which is the MSRP of the FE 2080ti. So yeah, it should be cheaper, but Scan (and others) decided to charge more. Because they can.

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Explain the Gigabyte 2080ti at £1099 then? When some other models are over £1300?

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/geforce-store/

You can literally buy them directly from Nvidia for MSRP (preorder for now). By now, you've managed to convince me that you've been joking all along. No hard feelings.

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Price aside, the performance is great. I'm finally able to run all my games at 4k 60fps. Can't wait to try vr later.