MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Well, that’s really newbie oriented single click feature like NV were promoting it, so it is hard to do something wrong and no detailed guide is needed. You just open voltage/frequency curve editor exactly like you did it with Pascal GPUs before and click new "OC Scanner" button there (available only on RTX series cards). Additional MSI OC Scanner application will be started, then you click either "Test" or "Scan" button in the scanner's window and wait for result a few minutes. "Test" will take about 5 minutes and it will verify stability of your current overclocking settings (so you may manually overclock the system just like before) and return result as system stability confidence level (0% = unstable, 100% = stable). "Scan" will find optimal overclocking settings during approximately 20 minutes and you'll see new overclocked V/F curve in the end of scanning process. So you just apply overclocked curve in AB like any manual V/F curve modification, and that's all.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Deleted member 255716 likes this.
  2. Thanks for the quick response!!

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

Alberto:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_rtx_2080_ti_duke_review,29.html

I will likely follow up soon with a complete guide on how this works. But that should get you going.

Deleted member 255716 likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm looks like MajorGeeks put up 4.6.0b9 you might want to contact them Unwinder if you don't want the beta builds uploaded elsewhere since it's still a WIP and in testing.
    (They do take a lot of submitted files and such so that's probably how that happened.)

Well I can see a work-in-progress beta version being spread around causing some issues so thought it might be worth mentioning, pretty sure they would listen if you contact them about it. :)
    (As to avoid things going too out of control or how to say.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018

5. Unwinder

It is starting being really boring, but exactly the same youtube channel giantmonkey101 tried to continue the hype and decided to play drama on exactly the same old story again, 3rd or 4th time in a row. As a result, I need again to deal with new wave of AMD fanboys commenting adding their own lie to it and making additional myths around it like "the issues is not just Vulkan/Async games, RTSS has been hammering performance across a wide selection of titles and API's over the last six months … their developers and the countless techtube reviewers who think everything is normal do deserve a bit of flak for never noticing.". I don't know how to comment it again, and honestly I'm starting to doubt that the person is searching for any technical comments because the previous comment I left under each of his videos about "performance bug" were simply ignored and story simply repeated over and over again.

On more positive side: we were working together with NV during last few days and analyzed possible ways of improving our current OC Scanner implementation for RTX series graphics cards. Their ideas were flying around improved visualization of overclocking scanning process. Previously we displayed just operating V/F point during scanning, now there will be full dynamically refreshing V/F curve so you'll be able to see how exactly the scanner is tuning the curve in real time. So probably there will be minor update of 4.6.0 soon.

6. Thanks @Unwinder for your support!
    Is very appreciated ;)
    How much soon will be minor updates of 4.6?
    This new week I must do a clean install of Windows 10 :oops:

7. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    @Unwinder Don't waste your time on people who are too dumb to understand that MSi sells both AMD and nVidia GPUs. They probably would not support an utility if it was "hammering the performance" of the whole line of their products:rolleyes:

8. Unwinder

I cannot give you exact ETA, sorry. It will be published in this thread when it is done.

9. Unwinder

Heh, it is rather hard to ignore and to NOT waste time on it because videos like this are constantly getting insane amount of misinformative or hate comments like this one. That's depressing as hell to read such things. But someone behind giantmonkey101 channel can enjoy his day of fame again.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    If you need a pick me up, just put a poll on this thread asking if MSIAB has been helpful over the years or not. I bet it would be 99% yes. :)

11. Unwinder

.\ProfileTemplates\Global -> [OSD] -> PerformanceProfiler

tekwarfare likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    And absolutely nobody is listening. 400 views on that video. Half of them random youtube click noise probably.

So yeah. It's a case of a Random J. Nobody talking to an empty audience :)

13. Unwinder

NVIDIA seems to be satisfied with improvements in OC scanner, which we’ve implemented per their request after releasing a beta for RTX cards. So we’re releasing new slightly updated build of 4.6.0 beta 9. Nothing major inside, just small but useful GUI improvements making the process of overclocking scanning more convenient and informative for users. Changes are mostly covering OC scanner on new RTX series cards only, there is no need to upgrade from the previous 4.6.0 beta if you use any other GPUs. Full changes list comparing to 4.6.0 beta 9 build 13319 includes:

- Voltage/frequency curve editor is now updated on new GPU selection or closed if you select a GPU with no Voltage/Frequency curve control support, so you don’t need to reopen the editor when tuning the curve for multiple GPUs
    - Improved hardware control shared memory interface:
    - Now hardware control shared memory is immediately updated on selecting new GPU from GPU quick selection panel in GUI. It is no longer necessary to apply the settings in order to make new GPU selection visible to external applications connected to hardware control shared memory. So you may switch between multiple GPUs and test them from external overclocking scanner without closing and reopening it for each new GPU
    - New hardware control shared memory interface command allows MSI Afterburner to refresh Voltage/Frequency curve editor to refresh the curve in real time per external application request
    - Updated OC scanner is now refreshing Voltage/Frequency curve in real time during scanning process, so you may see how the scanner is locking voltage points and tuning each point of the curve while searching for the maximum stable GPU clock

New build is available here:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

On a side note, after series of unpleasant discussions about RTSS with the next wave of “educated” AMD fanboys in different places during the last days, I decided to disable OSD support for Vulkan applications using present from compute queue on AMD cards (Doom and Wolfenstein 2). For experienced users understanding that performance penalty is expected in this case I’ll leave an ability to enable it via profiles.

blitzo, bigcid1 and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I 'm sad to hear about you getting constant grief from the AMD camp because of some "enlightened" youtubers. Screw them, I guess.

15. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    First a special Thanks for the new Version, my RTX2080ti works like a charm with it.

The optimization Process can start :)

There are 2 little things:
    -Only as Info, because I know that you don't support un-released Windows Version. The aktuel Skip-Ahead Build has problems with Visual C++ 2008 an because of that Afterburner will not run. Perhaps MS start dropping support for the 2008 Version...

-For the OC-Scanner, it take 4 Voltage points. Will it be possible to set this point Manually? Or Perhaps manual set the max Voltage for easier Under-Volt.

Thanks

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  16. Unwinder

> -Only as Info, because I know that you don't support un-released Windows Version. The aktuel Skip-Ahead Build has problems with Visual C++ 2008 an because of that Afterburner will not run. Perhaps MS start dropping support for the 2008 Version...

The chances that MS start dropping VC 2008 runtimes are close to zero. They still support VC 6.0 (1998 compiler) and older versions.

> -For the OC-Scanner, it take 4 Voltage points. Will it be possible to set this point Manually? Or Perhaps manual set the max Voltage for easier Under-Volt.

No, it is not customizable in NVIDIA Scanner implementation. MSI OC scanner's GUI already covering 99% of NVIDIA Scanner's API customization. You cannot alter anything else related to OC scanning process. The only customizable thing that I left hardcoded is a stress-testing time for "Test" mode. It is currently hardcoded in our scanner to take 5 minutes, but Scanner API is allowing to set custom testing time. But I'm not sure if it worth allowing end users to alter it in GUI.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  17. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Thanks for the Answer!

So hopefully it is only a Windows Bug that will be gone in newer builds. I'm now on an "stable" Build an keep that, so I don't really care. (In the future I will use a second DDS for Experiments)

OK NVIDIA Scanner is great an you implantation also. Not so shiny as Precision X1, but at least everything works like a charm. (Precision was an is a big mess)

But you Answer let me ask an other Question; in Testing Mode, are only the 4 Points tested or the Stability in General?

An different Question, in Scanning Mode the VRam is not @full clock (200mhz[400mhz] less). Seems that the VRam clocks a P-State lower (that lower VRam Clock in specific Apps like Folding@Home we see already since some GPU Generations).
    Doesn't the Scanner keep the VRam in consideration?

18. Unwinder

> Not so shiny as Precision X1, but at least everything works like a charm. (Precision was an is a big mess)

We do not play marketing games with ambitious "completely new codebase" and "faster than ever" statements. Just an old polished codebase that works as fast as before.

> But you Answer let me ask an other Question; in Testing Mode, are only the 4 Points tested or the Stability in General?

Of course no, it is probing different parts of whole curve. And you can always look at V/F curve editor while stress-testing to see which point exactly is being tested.

> Doesn't the Scanner keep the VRam in consideration?

Scanner's algorithms are proprietary and not disclosed by NVIDIA. But the scanner API does take memory clock offset as one of its input values

knuckles84 likes this.
  19. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    Thanks for the answer. It would be really interesting to know what Nvidia test there.

In the Test Mode, I have Moment, that the Clock is low (18xxmhz), but the Die become very hot (ok HOT, in my Loop that is 51°C), I have the feeling, that they do even Tensor Core an RT Core tests there.

I think a lot of people that make now there manual OC, will cry when the first Games/Benchmarks arrive that use DLSS and/or RT.

Sorry for my next Question;

When the Curve is Build, is there a Option (Key), how to explain, when I hit the 1V Point, that the beginning from the Curve stay but everything coming after the 1V Point will flat to the same clock as the 1V Clock.
    Would that be possible?