New Polaris 30 Respin at 12nm to be released?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A topic of discussion for a while now already is that AMD would be refreshing Polaris, again. Currently, there is chatter on the web that AMD would soon release Polaris 30, that 3 being the 3rd iterat...

New Polaris 30 Respin at 12nm to be released?

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They should refresh Polaris with more ROPs and shaders, not just 100MHz higher clocks.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    They could be creating a lower-end chip, trying out some new hardware, without really changing the actual shaders.
    So technically its still Polaris, but maybe with better memory compression algo's or stuff like that, not tied the base Arch ?

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    it makes sense, if 7nm is still fairly far away, moving to 12nm is an easy thing to do in the meantime to keep things moving

Maddness likes this.

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think extra 15% from RX 580 could be very nice, If you check the RTX review and add 15% to RX 580 you would get FuryX/980TI performance and very close to GTX 1070.
    So this card with Freesync high refresh 1080P monitor could be great Value bangle for Gamers.

Maddness likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I wonder how well it scales, 500 series made a nice mid-range product even rivaling the 390X and newer Fury GPU due to improvements to the architecture and clock speeds despite not having the extra hardware but if that's added in then power consumption and such might be a bit affected although on 7nm it'll probably still consume less. :)

Will be interesting to see what AMD unveils. :)

Kaarme likes this.
  7. Hefny

Hefny Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G
    If you add GDDR 6 to the formula and keep the 300 USD ASP, these cards will then dominate 1080p gaming, entry level market...

8. MK80

MK80 Active Member

GPU:
    RX7900xtx
    Again???? :mad:

9. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    What the problem? RX 580 is a nice card paired with FreeSync monitor unlike NV's offering+ G-sync.

carnivore likes this.
  10. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Since the performance ceiling hasn't shifted in any meaningful way and is not set to change very much for the foreseeable future, it makes perfect sense to refine Polaris a little and test out the 12nm process on it.

The 2000 series is going to remain too expensive for the performance, so it won't bump up what is expected for a given price target. The 1000 series will remain or be rebranded as 2060 and so on, but that means the price-jump will be transferred to that, so a 2060 will sit at a ~350$ price instead of the ~250$ price like the 1060/RX480 started out at.

The RX590/RX680 with either the full chip (like the one in Xbox One X) or a dieshrink with a bit of clockspeed boost, will sit comfortably in the 1080/1440p slot for the foreseeable future.

tunejunky and HWgeek like this.

11. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Nvidia releases RTX & AMD response is to rebadge polaris? scallywags

re badge that flop vega.

AMD has 2 platform for your revisions gpu laptop and apu that need 1080 asap not 1366x768 13 fps. stop cutting into the desktop platform with toaster upgrades for $1500. 1500 my car get like real turbo boost upgrades. $1500 nos kit easy add 500hp. yeah i get ticket and cant reg but crap aint no toaster.

This needs to be at vega 56 level period. 4500 3dmark points x 15% = 650 ish points not worth it buy a used 1070ti for $200 man it will get even cheaper and use less power. trash gpu see you guys 2020 when i still donnt care about what amd is calling new tech rebadged vegas instead of putting them in peoples houses 2017.

Stop cutting into the desktop platform with toaster upgrades trying to floating your intel & nvidia inferior product. all your gonna do is piss off your customer with a garbage product.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    It looks alright on paper, but it's very noisy, hot, draws a hell of a lot of power and it's definitely starting to show its age in the games I play.

I also don't believe a refresh of Polaris is the way to go. AMD will have to come up with a new architecture to counter the aforementioned problems.

Plus their drivers has been pure garbage since the launch of Adrenalin back in December of 2017 - not to mention my gripes with AMD Settings and ReLive.

13. Mitch 74

Mitch 74 Guest

GPU:
    RX480 8Gb
    The RX480 (i.e. Polaris 10) was a nice mid-range card able to work properly in any title (60-100fps in FullHD at Max/Ultra details) and at the same time supporting a lot of modern features with no major failings - spinning it a third time with either lower power use or higher frequencies for the same thermal envelope makes perfect sense. A jack of all trade if I ever saw one : DX9, 10, 11, 12, Vulkan, OpenCL... All run perferctly well with HDR, HDMI 1.2, DisplayPort, dynamic variable refresh rate (FreeSync)... You have one, you can max out any game @1080p (which is the most used resolution today), and many run very well with very high detail levels in 1440p. 4K users are still very few.

As Nvidia's GTX2060 is rumored to run 27% faster than a GTX1060 with zero new feature over it (no RT core), it makes perfect sense for AMD to respin a perfectly working architecture at a lower node : perfect games and drivers support right away, unified nodes with all their other chips, existing PCBs can be reused... So the Polaris 30 cards will more than likely be as powerful as GTX2060 and cards bearing it will cost less:
    • no need for GDDR6,
    • no need for new manufacturing chains
    • similar power profile for 10% higher frequencies (as seen when Ryzn switched from 14nm++ to 12nm)
    • flash a similar firmware with updated frequency/voltage profile...
    Instant faster card costing the same as previous one.

carnivore and AlmondMan like this.
  14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    With a poor cooler sure. Draws a little extra power, but nothing meaningful in the big picture. It runs fine in most games. Turn down the settings a little and you'll be even better off.

No idea what you're on about with the drivers. They've been completely stable for me since I bought this RX480. Which btw runs all the games I've enjoyed playing recently just fine at 3440x1440.
    Doubt it'll be 27% faster than a RX580 - more likely around 15% faster at the most if they choose to go with the full chip. If it's just a clockspeed bump it'll be around 5% faster. But that'd still be fine and dandy... and if they keep it at the price of like 200$ that's fine for the current market where nothing has changed in 2 years and nothing looks like it will change. nVidia's higher performance cards of the new gen will slot in to the current pricing structure at the same point where the 1000 series sit, because why would they reduce the prices? The market is stale without competition, but AMD doesn't need to provide competition to sell decent cards to a lot of people - I'm 100% sure that RX480s and Geforce 1060s are selling way more units than Geforce 1080s and Vega 64s...

tunejunky likes this.
  15. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    rtx sold out

3rd gen amd that when they EOL drivers always when i buy them. so i dont.

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    We first need to know how much they actually sold, I kind of feel that the actual supply was a drop in the ocean. Unless we know the actual amount, selling out means nothing.

As for AMD sending cards EOL, it's bullcrap. I have a first gen GCN product and I get everything that my hardware supports, feature wise. My card was released in December 2011.

carnivore, Silva, tunejunky and 3 others like this.
  17. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    you got a bloated driver with rx 570 support this driver barely supports my card

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    WTF are you even talking about. The main architecture is the same, basically. What do you mean "bloated"? The latest NVIDIA driver is more than half a gig in size.

The current AMD driver (which includes stuff as APU support), is 317MB.

19. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    just flash it to "polaris"
    dx12_1 support

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I hope this is just trolling, and not how your reasoning processes work.

For the actual point of this, I feel that AMD wants to use as much as possible of the GloFO capacity, since they will most likely penalties for not using it by practically shifting everything to TSMC next year.

Fox2232 likes this.