New AMD chipsets surface at USB-IF: A420, Z490 and X499

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'd swear that AMD have chosen Z490 just to piss Intel off.
    They probably won't even use it lol ;)

schmidtbag likes this.
  3. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    What exactly would the Z490 bring to the table? More Pcie lanes for M.2 for example?

4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    List has been removed...the only thing listed is the b450 and x470. I would imagine there is a new empty parking space at AMD.:oops:
    AMD 400 Series chipsets
    TID: 5085000012
    Model Number: B450
    Advanced Micro Devices
    04/19/2018

AMD 400 Series chipsets (X470)
    TID: 5080000012
    Model Number: X470
    Advanced Micro Devices
    03/05/2018

5. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    More like FU490.

Killian38 likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ideally, yes. X470 is a bit underwhelming for enthusiast grade. They should add another x12 lanes, x8 of which would go to the 2nd PCIe slot and the other x4 for a 2nd M.2 slot. Such a layout could also permit a x8:x8:x8 layout for triple SLI/Crossfire.
    I think they should also add another 2 SATA hosts, not because the motherboard needs more SATA ports, but because then you don't have to disable them when using M.2.
    I personally think that's as good as an AM4 board really needs to get. The current X470 board makes for a great Micro ATX chipset but it's just too underwhelming for full ATX.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    Using m.2 in sata mode disables the standart sata ports? I've checked several manuals of X470 boards and it only stated that the pcie slot will be disabled if the m.2 will be used in one of them.

I'm asking because I was looking into this recently as I'm planning upgrade and wanted to use m.2 along with standard sata devices. This would force me to use pcie/nvme drives in the m.2 slots if it would be true.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I did a little bit more research and apparently it varies depending on the motherboard. It seems most will sacrifice 2 SATA ports (why 2 instead of just 1, I'm not entirely sure) but it seems there are some that use PCIe lanes too. Generally speaking, it seem that if the M.2 slot uses PCIe 3.0 lanes directly from the CPU, you'll lose 2 SATA ports (and I'm not entirely sure, but I think this is only the case if the M.2 device you installed uses SATA). If the M.2 slot uses the PCIe lanes from the chipset, then you lose those lanes elsewhere.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    tunejunky likes this.
  9. flubje

flubje Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 @ 1530
    I guess Intel is going to change the naming convention of the next gen chipsets. Kinda childish of AMD to do this... They don't need to, they have a great product, no one cares what's it called. They only generate more confusion this way.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree. I also find it is no coincidence that AMD started out with a number that was 100 higher than Intel's (when AMD released the 300 series chipset, Intel was on their 200 series).

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the fantastic news for the biggest slice of the market...if you have an itx system you can ignore the newer chipsets.
    that said, as Schmidtbag pointed out mATX and ATX systems with lots of mass storage are the targets.
    a mATX with 3 pcie M.2's is choice.
    funny thing is that most people are going or have gone to external mass storage, but old habits die hard.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I know lots of people have gone to external USB hard drives.
    And then they cry when they knock it on the floor, and all their data is gone.
    Games are still going to require internal storage, and if things keep going as they are now (50-100GB for a single game!!!!) then internal storage has some time left. ;)
    That is until we get huge SSD storage (~8TB+) per disk.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think what tunejunky was referring to was NASes, not so much USB HDDs. A NAS makes sense (basically they serve as a private cloud server - I have one myself and it's so convenient) but nowadays I don't understand the purpose of a USB HDD, other than for archives. Most people seek cloud services for personal storage. If you don't have high-speed internet or want faster transfer rates, USB flash drives tend to be better. For everything else, you want local storage or a NAS. So, I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would have anything irreplaceable on a USB HDD.

All that being said, I personally use my NAS for "generic" data. So stuff like documents, media, and temporary storage. For my gaming PC, I use a 1TB SSD because loading a game over a network is unnecessarily slow, and it's not like other PCs of mine are going to be playing these games (they're not really fit for it).

tunejunky likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yes schmitty is right i was speaking of NAS, which can be much faster than your internet.
    i'm too cautious to use cloud services (power outages, security, etc) except steam cloud for loading up new hardware with my game library

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    OK. I understand better now.
    NAS is great, I have just built a big NAS, and am very very happy with it.
    I don't trust the cloud at all.

Also, NAS's are good, but I have had a self-employed guy who had a two disk NAS, and still managed to knock the thing on the floor.
    He ended up going to OnTrack and paying a few grand to get his data back.

He then got a new two disk NAS, and did the exact same setup as before.
    There's no teaching some people.....

tunejunky likes this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    lol perhaps he should put it on the floor, or invest in SSDs.

tunejunky likes this.