PC sales gets downgraded outlook due to Intel

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by tunejunky, Sep 18, 2018.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    just as PC sales were edging back up to respectability, Intel's issue with 14nm production has forced J.P. Morgan to warn of a 5-8% drop in sales due to the unavailability of cpus to O.E.M.'s (the biggest buyer of such...system builders incl. HP, Lenovo, et al).

IMHO, it's going to be worse because of politics. the trade war with China just got a bit hotter thanks to President Trump imposing additional tariffs and the tit-for-tat response of the Chinese.

i pity Apple and every hardware manufacturer. even if you buy a Japanese mobo you'll have Chinese parts. and that gpu made in Taiwan is usually assembled into a card in China. Nvidia will be hit harder than AMD as many of their AIB's are Chinese and the Chinese owe a debt to AMD re: x86 loopholes for Chinese Epyc.

Yikes

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Those OEMs should just buy AMD CPUs if Intel can't deliver.

moo100times likes this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    they can and will, but the high-end most profitable systems (I-7, I-9) do not have the cachet of "Intel inside".

try to get a gamer to drop any FPS (even in a mismatched system) and you have a fight. there are more gamers who do not build systems than there are of us.

and Intel's about to lose out entirely on "content creators". they're already hemorrhaging HEDT sales to Threadripper 2 and the 2920x hasn't even come out, but it will be in shops long before any 14nm Intel.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    The drop in FPS is even larger with no PC whatsoever.

5. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    Yeah, the Intel thing is hitting my company hard. We have about close to 2000 Dell laptops of various type on backorder since late August and we just can't get them... especially the one that uses the Skylake proc. because a lot of people in my company are still stuck in Windows 7 because of various industry software that they use. Quite a few users in my company are complaining since we have no new laptops to give away.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    and no doubt you're the one getting the "stink-eye". for really good laughs (seriously) go online and look up Zen koans.
    you'll be called "Yoda" in no time.

7. TheKid76

TheKid76 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Plenty of AMD CPU's avail or previous gen intel no biggie unless you want latest and greatest right now.

8. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I hope you're referring about me trying to enlightening the management about ordering AMD based laptop? lol. Trust me, I have tried but they got a contract with Dell on Intel based unit. It is what it is.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I was just looking for a cheap intel ITX board, and CPU, and the CPu's are almost all unavailable.
    I can get a Celeron G4900 for 49€, and then an i3-7100 for 197€, and then its all uphill from there. Nothing in the "cheap" range at all.

The shops all have 1xx and 2xx series motherboards for sale, and no CPU's to go with them....
    An almost Intel-Free Xmas this year ?

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Fixed that for you. None of those companies will die from it, they're keeping up their revenue. All of them, as far as I've heard, not a single one of them claimed lowered revenues in a size that it'd have hit the news.