New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I totally disagree. AMD does need to implement Ray Tracing. It is absolutely the future of gaming. Developers have said it is the holy grail of graphics lighting effects. If AMD ignores it, it will be at there peril.

RzrTrek and OnnA like this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Asynchronous RayTracing made by nACE -> it's RyZENable ;)
    IMO this is what they hiding now, before Bum !

Maddness likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Considering that reflections from BF5 we have seen are going to be degraded in final game... And how low resolution were reflections in UL-FM 3DMark Dandia demo...
    I'll leave my judgement for time it comes.
    AMD can implement DX-R in quite a few ways. And maybe even in some interesting ways depending on precision of calculation.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Also we need at last 2,3 ray bounce for RayTrace reflection/refraction (not cut off, low res only 1)
    But (because im 3D Artist) i just don't see Raytrace Real Time anytime soon.
    And TBF those not-fully as it should be -> it's not the way.

Run this Demo (from AD. 2004)
    Here -> https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13090

-> https://mega.nz/#F!gc9V2ASQ!i2i0K2aO6wBYa5iSED0UiQ

Note:
    Some sort of Wave-search (Radiosity) can be achieved, GPUs today have the PowaH but it need to be done by really efficient API, maby DX13 or Vulcan2.
    That's why i prefer ATI approach, they designed next Gen APIs and now it will fruit more & more.
    HW and API must go head to head, one can't hold back the other.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Someone had to start the ball rolling. Considering the huge compute need for Ray Tracing, i never expected it to be perfect right from the start. Its way more intensive than Tesselation. I actually think AMD cards will do pretty well considering just how compute heavy their cards are. It is the future and personally I'm very excited about it.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    So... we're basing AMD's next move on a YouTube video? A YouTube video where a guy says it's a speculation... And he also says that AMD being quiet is great.

I'll flip it for you... What if AMD release their next top end GPU at a price similar to 20xx series only with worse performance? Because, that's what they're good at. What then?

RzrTrek likes this.
  7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Then we face the same situation as with Intel o_O
    Prices will inflate: Big GPU 750mm2 Ti for 1999€ and 1199€ for cut down 500mm2 chip :p

But don't worry, ATI will deliver, usually they do :rolleyes:
    Price/Performance/Quality IMhO Radeon+FreeSync is still no.1

-> Yes sales of Vega ramp up recently ~30% more sales for Vegas in Germany.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Reminds me of the Reno 911 FBI agent Steve Hardcastle:

You know, we're in the heat of this, uh...
    This ray, um...
    Ray, uh...
    Ray...
    Ray, ray... Mendoza.

I'll tell you right now. I don't know anything.
    Nothing. No idea.

But that...Is good. 'cause that's the place I start from.
    When I know nothing, the possibilities are limitless.

OnnA and Maddness like this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Who's ATI?

If you mean AMD, last time they "delivered" a high end competitor to Nvidia, they flopped. FuryX launched more expensive than the 980ti and performed worse. Vega actually never competed with Nvidia's top end.

RzrTrek likes this.
  10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Please. This is not that kind of thread. Only positive goes ;)

You can plaster all over the rest of the forum that AMD needs to climb ~100% in perf/watt just to equalize Turing :D

Which is just about the right amount of what 7nm might give them. Which doesn't bode well with NV 7nm consumer parts coming any time soon.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's also some good Quality FreeSync & VR :D

But Yes it's a positive way, besides (users of Fury or Vega) can't regret nothing and can Play games NP.
    And this is all about Gaming, not comparing Behemoth 750mm2 to rather small 366mm2 chip :eek:

Also you can't compare Quality of gaming for ppl like:
    Radeon User -> RX580 8GB + 1080p FreeSync monitor
    to nV 1060 6GB user on budged non G-sync monitor -> based on benchmarks it's trade blows, but in reality (GAMING) Radeon Crushes it NP (also in tW thanks to Radeon Chill)
    Those are pure Facts ;)

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    well, we can all dream.

RzrTrek likes this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    What did you expect? The guy is a living ad. And knowing he only has good things to say about AMD, makes me think he's a long term investor.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While someone could start it... This was not right time nor way...
    But since they did. I can nicely judge that start. For now it looks bad. It looks like 720p bad or worse. And delivery mechanism costs a lot.
    I'll still leave my final judgement for later. But considering that those gigarays/s turned into "bounding volume checks"/s and that turned to mere 2~3 hundreds of megarays/s and that's just for shadows replacing Ambient Occlusion and Global Illumination. (words of developer making Metro Exodus)

@metagamer & @RzrTrek : Can't you create your personal communication? I think very few people care what's your personal opinion about OnnA.
    I get that you just want to shoot. But this thread and his contribution around did a lot of good for AMD's section. metagamer, you probably have not seen mess (dozens of threads, each with different information from somewhere from different person). But RzrTrek should remember.

If you have problem with content of this thread posted by anyone, report it. But before you do, at least read name of this thread:
    New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Truder, G13Homi and INSTG8R like this.
  15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I disagree. Everything we have seen so far is either at alpha or beta stage. The BFV Ray Tracing looked good. The new Metro is still months away and looked good. Rasterized lighting will never be as good as Ray Traced lighting.

pharma and RzrTrek like this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    That was really sad :oops:

Besides Man like me, Fox, Gupsterg and many others with some skills/knowledge can't abandon Radeon Ship (because they can't match others at the moment)
    We are needed for those who need Tweaks, Mods and other good Stuff.
    TBF Vega (Fury and 280X/290X/RX580) are great GPUs.

They need Us, and We won't abandon them :rolleyes::D:p
    Look whats happend when RP cease to exist, just saying -> ATI/AMD Team need some Love too :cool:

G13Homi, Maddness and INSTG8R like this.
  17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    pharma likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Radeon Polaris 30 GPU Based On 12nm FinFET Node Gearing Up For Launch

The folks over at Chiphell forums are at it again – another new rumor about an upcoming graphics card and AMD Radeon this time.
    According to the source, the company is launching the 12nm version of Polaris (dubbed Polaris 30 if the general naming conventions are followed).
    This should just be a more power efficient of the Polaris chip and is slated to launch sometime next week. Needless to say, because of the fact we haven’t heard anything else on this so far (apart from roadmap leaks) its best to take this with a grain of salt and has been tagged as a rumor.

AMD’s Polaris 30 GPU will be refreshed on the 12nm FinFET process with up to 15% expected performance increase

While the source in question is Chiphell, most of what they are saying does fit in with the general narrative of AMD and what we have previously heard – which is why it warranted a post.
    AMD has also hinted that they will be releasing a product every quarter and since Navi is not going to be landing this quarter, this seems to be the perfect pit stop for AMD to take a breather at. The Polaris 30 GPU is going to be a refresh of the Polaris 20 part which was launched in 2017.

AMD Polaris 30 will be based on the 12nm FinFET process and you can expect a 10-15% performance increase from the process upgrade and slightly higher clocks.
    It’s worth keeping in mind that 12nm FinFET is essentially just an enhanced version of 16nm FF and not an entirely new node in itself (that would be 7nm). AMD will not be rolling out its 7nm Vega 20 GPU (which won’t be coming to the gaming market anyways) until the 12nm refresh lineup is launched so it fits in there as well.

According to the source, the GPU lineup could be launched as soon as next month by AMD. I doubt we will see a lot of fanfare about it and it is even possible that AMD quietly refreshes the RX 500 series on the OEM side.
    It is unclear what the nomenclature would be of such a series – RX 600 seems to be the next logical step but it could easily be something else entirely and at this point, we are deep in speculation territory so I will leave it at that.

As for why this series wasn’t on AMD’s roadmap – there is a very easy explanation for that. Polaris 20 lineup wasn’t on the roadmap either – till it was suddenly refreshed in 2017.
    So the fact that the Polaris 30 GPU family is not present on AMD’s roadmap doesn’t really take any credibility away from this rumor considering the company’s past actions.
    Polaris 30 would allow the company to tighten its foothold in the budget segment as well as the mobility side with more power efficient (and cheaper!) GPUs.

It is sort of ironic how AMD’s philosophy is the exact opposite of NVIDIA. We fully expect the Polaris 30 lineup to be slightly faster but also slightly cheaper than the already cheaper RX 500 series making it ideal for entrants to PC gaming and/or gamers on a budget that can’t afford to spend an arm and a leg on a PC build.

UPDATE no.1

Some publications are pointing towards a 15% performance improvement being achieved on the back of this process change for Polaris - which, if achieved only via a new process implementation, would require clock speed increases that are higher than that.

AMD has already launched their revised Polaris 20 RX 500 series, which built upon their RX 400 series (and Polaris 10) by upping the clocks as well.
    A smaller node would likely be associated with higher yields and decreased costs per finished chip, which would allow AMD to further reduce pricing/stabilize pricing while introducing a new product generation to tide users over until Navi is finally ready.

Adding to all of this (and the included NaCl), a post via Phoronix has been posted which speaks of a new Polaris Device ID (0x6FDF) that's being added to the latest AMDGPU Linux kernel patch.
    The new device ID is being added under the "POLARIS 10" family, which includes the Polaris 20 revision.
    We'll see how this pans out, but if AMD are to in fact revise their Polaris architecture for the 12 nm node, some architectural changes likely wouldn't go wrong to extract maximum value out of that investment.

Sory for late copy :D
    Busy >30Lev in The Division

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Maddness, Rich_Guy and INSTG8R like this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I told You Guys :D (nACE RT)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I knew AMD wouldn't let us down. That's awesome.

OnnA likes this.