New intel microcode update KB4100347 kills Broadwell-E overclock.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Sep 18, 2018.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Doesn't matter if it is supposed to affect it or not. It should have never been downloaded in the first place.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Important part is, if it is installed. MS uses its users as torrent network for distribution of patches. So, maybe they just downloaded it. Either way, it is good catch.

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti

Well the good news is that this isn't universally true. This update did not affect my overclock at all with my 6850K on an Asus X99 Deluxe USB 3.1.

Everything is working just as it was and as it should.

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    From what I gather, it's a BIOS microcode incompatibility and it is board model specific.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well, what a complete load of bullshizz. RS5 pretty much kills any overclocking at all on my board. Even XTU is fukced and wont work. What kind of stupid shizz is this?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    lol this pc platform is such crap lately it on life support. better buy your new intel chip next rtx patch gonna be worse. typed this on my 1k toaster.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Anyhow a *simple fix for now is to take ownership of mcupdate_genuineintel.dll rename it and replace it with an earlier version. I used a July version. Also set it to read only.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
  9. R41DZ3R0

R41DZ3R0 Guest

GPU:
    797o xfire
    yeap.. intel microcode update did breaks my overclock .. (i'm also a bit skeptical after having wierd issue on my 2ndary system (i2600k/sabertooth z77 as DAW) since July (microcode update rollup on build 1709) having trouble with corsair platinum timing keep revert to native jedec spec. Bios changed did fix it but wont last to 2nd boot) ...i wonder if this related with the update even on SandyBridge.. :( they really own us now

10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Why the hell using automatic updates anyway...I always use ms service to install very few that do not destroy stability/perf, and some drivers, then left it disabled to the end of the world...or system change. You wanna be safe, install good firewall...

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    A firewall has no defense against Meltdown and Spectre. It is completely bypassed.

INSTG8R likes this.
  12. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Just found this update on my Ryzen 1600X system, WTF! Uninstalled and blocked. Feck off Microsoft!

13. Alan Stables

Alan Stables New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6900XT
    The reason it installs on AMD systems is if you ever change CPU (keeping OS installed) the patch is applied to the Intel system it has 0 effect on AMD systems.

14. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well as I understand, the fun with spectre/meltdown is when somebody has physical access to device and/or maybe by successful java script injection (but all browsers are patched already for that)

15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    LOL oh man gotta love INTEL news lately. Time to sell that stock and rock an AMD.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Some of you up above missed something The mcupdate_genuineintel.dll is now integrated in RS5. If you update and you are affected there's no KB to remove. You have to use the simple procedure as outlined. Take ownership and replace with an earlier version. I used the one from July in SXS backup. Save a copy. Who knows when they will fix it or....patch this workaround...SMH...ha ha.

17. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Had to think back and investigate to be sure but it's a fresh install for this 1600X PC build (8th June 2017). Also I had to remove xtuservice.exe (IntelĀ® Extreme Tuning Utility) which I noticed running a few weeks back! I mean, what the heck is going on?

18. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Yeah that KB does the same to my 6800k+R5E, OC 4.4 down to 3.6. I posted about this a couple weeks ago in the Intel section. I hope something is done prior to RS5 release cause the Microsoft rep I spoke to claimed it would fix it when it releases...

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Brother in law has my previous 4.6 5820k chip paired with the MSI X99 Krait. Don't remember if it's the S or A one in case it matters.

Will check if he's affected(if update is installed that is) and report back.

20. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Does this really affect Haswell-E?

I have 5820K and Asus X99-S mobo running 2101 bios. Update KB4100347 is installed on my system. My overclock is working just fine like it did for the last 3+ years. All cores go up to 4.4Ghz, I just tested.