I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Lol, financing a GPU? Luxury items are to be bought outright. If not, you need to buy within your means. No wonder so many idiots are slaves to the banks.

BangTail likes this.
  2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Dude, when you get 0% finance, there's nothing wrong with it. I could buy one outright too.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Well then that explains the awesome performance, mine is oced to 1460/8000, at QHD, i honestly don't need to replace it and i always dial down some useless settings, that does nothing at highest level, regardless of what card i have.

I want the 2080TI and i can buy it right now, but i don't see the value there, maybe if i'll sell mine 980TI for a good price.

4. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Seriously? Nothing wrong with selling your current gpu to bring down the price. It's a smart thing to do. I did the same thing with my 1080ti. I can take 50% off the price of my upcoming 2080ti purchase with the money I got back from it as opposed to having it sit in the closet collecting dust.

5. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    I think he was referring to literally financing the GPU, and paying for it over 2 years.

And even if he was being a little aggresive about it, the moment when you buy a GPU on credit might be a good one to think about the idea of spending money according to one's budget.

moo100times and BangTail like this.
  6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Yes, of course, nobody should be financing expensive PC hardware if they can't afford it, but if you have a solid income and finances under control and a comfortable saving and get zero finance, why not? I for one don't like dropping a grand on a piece of hardware when I can spread it out, regardless of how much money I have in my account.

It's down to each individual and nobody who can't afford it should do it.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This argument could be applied to voting in general. "One vote isn't going to make a difference." As I said, it's not a healthy position to take. Also, we are talking about enthusiast-priced products here - it's not like billions of people are going to buy a 2080/Ti. Only a few people are going to buy these cards at their current price so a boycott can make a real difference. I personally have the money for a 2080 Ti but I'm deliberately avoiding it (it's the same reason why I've never bought a Titan or a Core i7 6900K). If I think a product is priced incorrectly then I vote with my wallet against it.

It's no excuse, it ties in to my earlier point. The reason AMD is in their current situation is because we consumers voted against them. Even when they had competitive products we overwhelmingly bought from Nvidia, and this is true even today (mid-range gamers would be better served with a RX 580/570 and a FreeSync monitor but gamers overwhelmingly buy a GTX 1060/1050 Ti with no adaptive sync).

You say that we should be angry at AMD but I think it's the opposite - frankly, I'm surprised that AMD continues to make GPUs considering how they've been treated. We need to take some personal responsibility here instead of just demanding that competitors do better - AMD is not a charity, they don't exist to make you happy or to provide competition for your benefit (like any business, they are trying to survive and make money). People thank AMD today for providing competition in the CPU market but they aren't doing it for us - they're doing it for themselves.

I don't blame Nvidia for doing what they are doing. There is no sense in being angry with them for price-gouging, nor their competitors for being unable to compete. That's why I put the focus on us, the consumers. If we all take the attitude that there's nothing that can be done then companies like Nvidia will charge anything they like and get away with it.

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What do you mean? How have they been treated?

9. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Oh I see. I guess I misunderstood. That makes more sense.

10. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Well like I said; at least here they are selling like hot cakes. I'm worried I might not be able to get it on the 27th. So, the wallet voting doesn't seem to be going that well. But you are correct that the same could be said about voting and it isn't a healthy position to take. I'm still getting a 2080ti as soon as possible as it looks awesome and would greatly improve my 4k gaming experience along with vr.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, they are selling very well.

That's no surprise, it's the first new card in quite a while and while the price is high, $1200.00 is not going to stop people who want the latest and greatest.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  12. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I definitely understand what you're saying, but I'm not entirely sure he's to blame for that. And he loves what he loves.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I'm in agreement, if you have to buy groceries on credit, that's one thing, but financing luxury items (unless it is 100% interest free is not fiscally responsible and it doesn't matter how much you love the item(s) in question).

However, at the end of the day, it's not up to anyone else to tell you how to manage your finances.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I mean people not giving them a fair chance. I know because I'm one of them - when I bought my GTX 780 I didn't even bother to see what AMD was offering (if I had, I would have seen that the R9 290 was a better fit for my needs). It's because of people like me that AMD is in a bad a situation as they are in. AMD has typically been the first to implement new technology and supports open standards like OpenCL and VESA Adaptive Sync, yet they never get any respect (instead, people flock to Nvidia and their proprietary tech). It's partially out of a sense of guilt that I bought a RX 580 for my workstation system.

15. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Very good point and accurate, too. We are considered "enthusiasts" and rightly so. Tbh spending in excess of a thousand dollars on a GPU is... something else. Surprised my wife hasn't slapped me yet.

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    You partly right, i bought the GTX 780 back then too and wished i would have bought 290X instead.
    However, you can't know this ahead, plus AMD 290 launch was a disaster, overpriced, too high temps and awful cooler, by that time, 780 and 780TI had aftermarket solutions and the TI was faster most often than not...

Polaris wasn't great at all in my opinion, ever since Maxwell, and mainly 970, nVidia was a force that can't be stopped, and i gotta say that the 980TI is seriously my best investment in any NVIDIA product ever(while the GTX 680 was one of the worst, yet it was better than 7970 for more than half a year, till AMD released the magic sauce).

17. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  19. GetMax

GetMax Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070
    I loled :D

SpajdrEX and jbscotchman like this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The main issue with the 290X was the cooler, but I immediately put my 780 under water so that wouldn't have been an issue. From what I see, the 290X has aged a lot better and I might still be using it today (for computing/mining). I sold my 780 last year to someone looking for a replacement.

Polaris can't match Nvidia's high-end but it was never designed to. They are very capable in the mid-range (especially when paired with a FreeSync monitor) but gamers overwhelmingly choose Nvidia. Not being able to compete in the high-end is understandable, but they are also being beaten solidly in all other price segments as well.

I skipped the 900 series completely. Went from a 780 to a 1080 and saw massive gains (hadn't seen a jump like that in a long time). Aside from the price, I think the 2080 Ti only disappointed because of what came before. Pascal was truly a masterpiece.

jbscotchman likes this.