The GTX 1080 Ti Thread Part 2

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by vbetts, Sep 21, 2018.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
  2. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The show must go on !

Long story short, you find a 1080-ti at below 600$, you take it.

HARDRESET, RzrTrek and darrenj like this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It was a nice, long thread for such a great card :) You will be missed old friend.

darrenj likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I'm still far by sold on the new cards, I guess I'll stick around this thread for longer then :D
    Welcome back guys!

Singleton99, jura11 and XenthorX like this.

5. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Just got me a 27 inch 1440p. 144hz curved monitor ., I fell in love with my water cooled Asus Strix OC 1080ti all over again

fantaskarsef, XenthorX and jura11 like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    hehe yeah, that's such a good feeling of improvement, no? :)
    You're basically running a 2080 without RTX now :D

HARDRESET and darrenj like this.
  7. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Thought I should pop in here seeing as I have this shiny new 1080Ti :D

Will be doing my first ever custom loop cooling both CPU and GPU in the next few weeks, just waiting on the GPU block, looks like I'm gonna have to get one of the barrow or bykski blocks from aliexpress cause cant find other more mainstream brands for sale anywhere now for the MSI 1080Ti Gaming X, except for some thermaltake ones that are stupidly overpriced at more than double the cost of what the EK blocks use to cost for it, I have heard good things about both the barrow and bykski blocks though so not too worried.

Going to be delidding this 8700k as well :D

Any advice for getting the most out of my 1080Ti once its under water? I'm up for pretty much anything besides shunt mods.

fantaskarsef and anxious_f0x like this.
  8. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Got my new GIGABYTE Gaming oc 1080Ti for $629.00 back in September 21 ,2018/ very happy.

XenthorX likes this.
  9. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Are you planning go with soft or hardline tubing?

If you are planning go with soft tubing then I would suggest go route of 16/10mm fittings Barrow are my favourite fittings, for hard tubing this is bit harder but should be doable too on first try, just get enough hard tubing acrylic or PETG and what size 12/10mm I use mostly but I would advise go with 14mm or 16mm it will looks much better and for fittings Barrow are my favourite and I use only them

When it goes for radiators, depending on yours case, I would recommend or go with 360mm and at least 240mm on bottom or front this depends on case used,what case do you have?

For pump and reservoir, it depends there, DDC is great for complex loops and D5 is bit better in simple loops, I prefer to use DDC pumps if I can

Barrow or Bykski GPU waterblocks I have used like on GTX1080Ti or on RTX 2080Ti and never have issues with them,regarding the temperatures I would say they perform pretty good there, 2-5°C from EK and in one case with GTX1080Ti FTW3 Bykski does have better temperatures by 5°C than with EK

For CPU block I would suggest Heatkiller IV Pro, its best CPU block on market

I would have created own thread and post yours ideas what are you looking to do etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Ridiric likes this.
  10. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    Already got all the parts except for the waterblock (was planning on doing this with the 980 I had but the new 1080ti was a surprise Christmas present), the whole reason I'm finally doing the full system custom water cooling is I wanted to try out the different stuff available from china now (well that and I DID always want to do a full system loop at some point or other), so its all bykski parts for this build, going to do another build with a i7 7700k and GTX 980 (the GTX 980 came second hand with an ekwb on it already) using all barrow parts.

Went with 9.5mm inner 12.7mm outer, I don't have lots of room in my case and thought the smaller tubing might make it a little easier, using an IN WIN 101, modding the stand on the case so it sits higher and the fans for the bottom 360mm radiator will sit outside of the case in the new stand while the radiator sits inside the case, that way I can still mount a 240mm radiator on the side as well, also doing a 120mm radiator on the back, using one of the bykski D5 pump and reservoir combos.

Not to worried about some parts not being the best choice as if it doesn't work out with those parts I can always swap out, saved enough cash buying from china that I could almost buy two complete loops for the price it would have cost me for one loop from ekwb, whole thing is a nice experiment for me :D

I will start a new thread in the case mods section once I start putting it all together!

The1 and fantaskarsef like this.

11. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

BYKSKI or Barrow are good companies, used both of them and they're priced very well if you are comparing this to other companies like EK etc

13/10mm I have used and still prefer to use 16/10mm just due is less prone to kinks and works well in tight spaces, for tubing check Mayhems UV White or their Clear tubing, this tubing doesn't have plasticizer

D5 should be OK there for yours loop, depending on what tubing and how complex loop is it, you should see 0.9-1GPM

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

yasamoka and Ridiric like this.
  12. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    So much forRTX 2080Ti $999.00 at EVGA , was on auto notify, for the $999.00 , and finally receive the email , but instead of a $999.00 card ,its now $1099.00, and is available now /1/14/2019

13. aggregatebuzz

aggregatebuzz Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX1080Ti FE
    sold my 1080Ti FE to help with a quick John Deere 322 project so I went with a Aorus EE to replace and from a Samy 40" 6 series 4K to Samsung CF791 34"
    4K has better coming
    I almost have an interest in water cooling,those FE cards are nice for that

14. Ridiric

Ridiric Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti @2100Mhz
    I think my 1080Ti waterblock got lost in shipping :eek:
    Might have to raise a dispute and order another one if it takes much longer. (normally get stuff from the official bykski store quicker than this and its still showing that its in transit in china and hasn't left the country yet)

This water cooling project and case mod I want to do just keeps getting pushed back :(

15. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I’m quite happy that I got out of water cooling roughly 10 years ago, after using it for almost a decade.
    Way too much hassle, really pricey and the idle noise is just atrocious.

Good air seems to be equally hard to set up,but the returns are just great.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

What shop or which one seller did you used?
    I used few sellers on Aliexpress with some have good experience but with one of them I have my worst experience which send me wrong item and they started to claim he send me correct one

Usually I use FormulaMod or Bykski official shop as you do,used few others which has been very fast with shipping etc

Once I ordered from one seller which my first order has been lost, secomd order arrived after 1 month and half, other order showed has been shipped but still arrived after 2 month

You will see there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Ridiric and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    I wouldn't compare 10 years ago and now performance plus noise, on my build running 4*360mm radiators plus MO-ra3 360mm etc, fans literally spins at 750-850RPM as max under load and my build is very quiet, loudest thing in my PC is Seasonic 1250w PSU

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I would. The pumps are still the same, the radiators haven't changed much, the fans are still the same. I'd consider 850rpm as noisy, my air build doesn't exceed those speeds under load either. And I'm only running two of those fans, not 12 or more.
    Believe me, it hasn't changed as much as you may think. Even with all the decoupling, pump controllers, pump housings and all that, the idle noise is still there.
    And as you see, to get it *much* more silent under load, you need loads of space, sometimes with loads of fans, costing loads of money. Not for me anymore.
    It's a nice hobby, but nothing more really. A hobby of its own.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

My pumps are dead quiet at max speed and I'm sitting from my PC 25-50cm as max, PC is running at 750-850RPM as max,fans are quiet and that's with 24*120mm fans and 2*140mm, if you choose wrong or loud fan then that's the problem but not in my case, went via few fans and I do test every fan on my build and then decide

Idle noise or load noise is still same as my fans are controlled by Aquacomputer Aquaero and water delta T rather than component temperature when water delta T is above 6°C fans will ramp to 850RPM which is very rare as my water delta T stays at 3-4°C as max during the rendering or gaming ,agree you pay price for that but that's with everything

If you are running single CPU and GPU then yes off course I would be running NH-D15 and Raijintek Morpheus II cooler for GPU but in my case this is not option as I'm running 4*GPUs and I want have my PC dead quiet when I work during nights or during the day

My PC is in my bedroom and is running 24/7, usually I do sometimes 12-16 hours renders and only once I run 4* air cooled GTX1080 GPUs in one build and not sure if I would ever run that, noise has been unbearable, that's with 4*FE coolers

Water cooling in many cases offers great temperatures and if its worth it its personal, but if I would touch any AIO, no way, good air cooler for CPU and GPU is what I would do if I would be running just CPU and GPU, I have run Raijintek Morpheus II cooler with dual GPU(GTX1080 AMP I think) setup but I wouldn't do that again, top GPU has run hot at 76-80°C and bottom Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC run at 42-45°C as max in same render or gaming

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Your „dead quiet“ is loud to me. As simple as that.

It’s not even the quality of the fans, which makes a big difference no doubt, it’s the quantity and speed. Simple physics.

With your setup, there’s no alternative to water, of course.
    But how many people still use more than a single GPU?
    Even then, not everybody may like the idea to spend another grand on cooling alone.

fantaskarsef likes this.