Sony Announces the PlayStation Classic

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by anxious_f0x, Sep 19, 2018.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
  2. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    At first I was surprised, but come to think of it, it was inevitable. I may actually get one for the lolz, even though I have a working original.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    90 quid for emulation, how much does a second hand 120 gig slim cost.....just checked, 65 quid at cex.

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Not really that terrible when you consider how much flash memory is probably required to store 20 games, games like Final Fantasy 7 were on 3 CD’s, so quite a lot of the cost is probably coming from the storage.

Plus, PS3 emulation was pretty bad, let’s hope this does a better job.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I might buy one if i like the games. This thing is gonna look sweet between my mini NES and SNES.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But this will be the very same emulation that is on the ps3, only thing missing will be all the ps3 haredware, a sizable hdd and of course the ability to playing either your ps1 digital library or popping your ps1 games into it, so for 90 quid Sony are a having a laugh, but i suppose if some want a expensive way to play a few games it must seem good. Lol

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Meh. Nostalgia cash grab, just like the Nintendo stuff. Maybe if they added a USB port or a card sot, and you could just put the ISOs in there that you want to play, then it might have been worth it.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I agree. Nostalgia is best kept to the happy times spent with the PS1. Playing the games in 2018 is only going to disappoint.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that why i only play my ps one games via emulator on they cant do much with the textures of the games, but atlest I can render them at 1080p

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    They should have done something similar with the mini PS1, as someone has already pointed out. At least then it would be a justifiable purchase.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Don't have any of my old PS1 games so I don't mind spending £90 on some nostalgia.

12. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I feel like buying a used PlayStation 2 and a component cable is a better option.

also
    pretty sure you can load ps1 games off usb or ethernet attached storage with a softmod , ps2 homebrew stuff is pretty extensive and well developed

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    PS1 emulation on PC is extremely solid. It also fixes many issues of the original hardware (like polygon jitter.)

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeah the Ps2 has the closest to ps1 hardware so for the best possible none emulation expereince a second hand PS2 with component cables is the way to go, and of course you get the benifit of all those cracking ps2 games as well. ;)

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    The PS2 having the worst lineup of games of the Sony consoles. :(:)

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I think people are missing the point about buyers of these kind of systems. Everybody knows or should now that there are emulators for almost every console possible and sometimes they even have better graphics and sounds than the originals not to mention some of them even provide bug fixes. But people who buy mini consoles like this, my case, buy them because the experience is much better than using emulators, the controllers alone are well worth the cost of the consoles and the plug and play system is a godsend in this age. And playing all those great games in their original glory is fantastic!
    In my case i´m interested in this because the PS1 is then only PS system i didn´t bought but only if the games line up is worth it otherwise no deal. I´m already reading some rumors that GT is going to be absent due to licensing issues and that is making me worried...

BTW i´m no trying to disrespect anyone who thinks the other way.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    You seriously think that a controller from 2001, 18 years ago, is worth £$100? Come on.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    In a certain way it is. Of course there´s additional hardware and software (games) alongside the controller but that´s one of the main reasons to buy stuff like this. After all we can have all the games and many more for free with emulation, like several members have already said, so there´s a reason to buy hardware like this, at least for me, can´t speak for others.

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    what use is the controller apart from using it for games which don't require analogue? Arguably the original controller is Sony's best, but still.

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    This is something I’ve done in the past and it’s probably the best way to play, I just like the idea of having something that’s plug and play.

PS2 isn’t really an option for me either, my tv doesn’t have analog inputs.

I’ll see what the reviews of the PlayStation classic are like before I buy, but I do like the look of them.