I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It makes no difference that the GPUs are not integrated, they obviously have the ability to make them, and I believe that they are faster than most people give them credit for, especially for the size. I would argue that their largest issue is the driver, but they seem more active on that front lately.

The best case scenario for us is to have as many contenders as possible in the market.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Those new cards are a total disaster, overpriced, new featured can't be properly tested, and i'm not sure how well the 2080TI will be future proof...

Mine 980TI is going very strong, I'll skip this generation as also i don't see any interesting games...except one- CyberPunk 2077.

I'll buy a card that can run it with 100fps at least on 1440p, probably the 3080 or whatever magic sauce nvidia will cook(or AMD).

Slinkyminx and Solfaur like this.
  3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Blame AMD for this, not nVidia. nVidia is using this lack of competition to enter the Ray Tracing fold. This is a beta hardware series. They made this, developers will get familiar with the new features, the next series will sell like hotcakes with a more mature and ready 4k60 - Ray Tracing.

The 2080 Ti is for beta nerds and anyone wanting 4k gaming without Ray Tracing. Regardless of price, if those things suit you, then this is your card regardless to critics. Individuality guys.

Personally, I think these cards prices will plummet in about 6 months. And I'm extremely curious to see AMD's answer to all of this and what Intel has coming later on. But again, nVidia doing this NOW, puts them ahead of both companies regarding these features. So while it's expensive and maybe unjustifiable for many, it's a smart move for nVidia to take this time to find new ground to walk on rather than push out the same old. We hate it now, we will appreciate it next-gen.

It's called growing pains. Except there are no Seavers.

jbscotchman, tensai28 and Maddness like this.
  4. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060

Haven't watched it yet.

Jim is so good, it's bound to be solid.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    They haven't been tested for performance (FPS), but the features have been tested by game companies so we know they work. It won't be too long before we know how the "new features" perform in a gaming scenario.
    Edit: Not just RT, but other performance features like variable-rate shaders, mesh shaders and DLSS.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  6. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Unfortunately it's the truth. People can "vote with their wallets" all they want but in reality, Nvidia couldn't care any less. They have billions of customers worldwide and their cards are selling very well. Unless suddenly an extremely large amount of people stop buying them (very unlikely) then I don't think it's going to make any difference. I'm having a very hard time preordering the msi trio here as they are pretty much out of stock everywhere before they even hit the shelf. That's already after being delayed a week because of too many preorders. So I have to probably settle for the gigabyte (if I can even reserve that) or wait longer. We all can agree the cards are overpriced but let's not pretend that voting with our wallet makes even a remote difference. The price will most likely go down eventually but I wouldn't expect the price to go down any time soon.

I'm aware of the situation but it sounds like an excuse for a monopoly if you ask me. Why is the only other gpu company one that can barely stay in business? That was what I was going on about in the rest of my comment. No other company is stepping in. This whole situation should be angering most of us but I felt the attention was put too much on Nvidia which was simply acting as any other company would in it's position.

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I'm only sad because I don't have the spare cash to spend for this ATM. I figured I can probably sell my Strix 1080Ti for S$700 and get a Palit 2080Ti for S$1800 so Im only out of S$1100. But thats a Palit though and Im keen only on the Strix version which is S$2400 if I'm not mistaken (theyre not yet on sale here) and that price difference is almost the price of a brand new 1080

Maddness likes this.
  8. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Let's not forget about VR as well. Apparently these rtx cards are doing much better than pascal in VR from what I have seen.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It's still 2018. The 1080ti came out in 2017. About 18 months ago. The 2080ti beats the 1080ti, easily. Plus brings new tech with it. It's expensive. Buy it or don't. Vote with your wallet. Or cry on a tech forum. I think it's clear to see which path you chose to go down.

BTW, why moan about Nvidia when you're using an AMD GPU, a GPU from a manufacturer who is partly to blame here for giving Nvidia a free hand to do whatever they want?

BangTail, Maddness and tensai28 like this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The 2080ti has more than twice the performance of your 980ti. You call that going strong, in today's terms, that's about mid range. Sure, they're good cards but the 2080ti more than doubles the performance of your card. Just saying.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well you have to look at the price/performance ratio. Not everybody is using 4k so there's no need to spend so much on a new card if you're still using 1080p or even 1440p. Me personally, I will vote with my wallet. I'm perfectly fine with 1080p so I'll wait for a new revision of turing that offers solid performance at a reasonable price.

AsiJu likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm on 1440p and in most cases, I'm more than happy with my 1080. It runs everything just fine, most of the time. I could do with more performance for VR, sure, but it still does a good job.

That being said, I could do with more performance. I always could. Does that mean I'll be buying a 2080ti? Maybe... But I'm not so sure. Price is an issue to a certain point. I could still sell my 1080 for £400 and spread the extra £700 for the 2080ti over 2 years at £35/month which is negligible. But I'm not sure it's good value for money and I don't blame Nvidia for pricing it the way they did. They can, because AMD can't compete. I've been saying it for years, AMD need to up their game.

BTW, gaming at 1080p, you really don't need to bother with anything more than a 1080, unless you're looking for 144fps or above.

Also, not sure what makes you think that the next generation of RTX cards will be reasonably priced. It's not like AMD will force their hand, is it?

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    True, but you would think that they would eventually produce some reasonably priced mid-range cards to keep the majority of PC gamers happy. I mean just look at the Steam hardware surveys, the 1060 and 1050ti have the largest user percentage. It would be absolutely stupid to alienate that market.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    They have. You said it yourself, the 1060. And the 1070. And the 970, 960, 770, 660, 460, 7800gt 6600gt etc, the list is long. All are/were great cards, priced competitively against AMD cards and they perform great for their price. And we'll soon have the 2060, which will be around 1080 performance, give or take.

At the end of the day, they're running a business. Right?

BTW, Steam survey? Really? Why should anyone care about a Steam survey? At the end of the day it comes down to what you want from your GPU. I'd ignore the Steam survey altogether.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I just used the Steam survey as an example of what the majority of PC gamers are buying.

16. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Where did you see this? I googled a couple of reviews that used DOOM and the 2080 ti was something like 25% faster at 1440p.

17. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I believe the Steam survey is heavily skewed due to millions of poor Russians with their subpar laptops running CSGO and MOBAs on lowest settings.

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    A 1060 runs CS:GO fine. No need for lowest settings. And MOBAs aren't even close to maxing it out.

The 1060 and the 970 are the most popular GPUs for PC gamers. 1080p 60 is still the most popular target. Practically everyone I know bought one of these two GPUs. In most people's minds, a $300 GPU is already very expensive, and paying higher than that is considered stupidity. And they do have a point, since these are just products for playing games, and they get outdated fast. They are not the second coming of Buddha or something :p

People like us who are willing to buy the high-end GPUs really are a small minority.

19. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I'm aware of that fact, but it still unknown how the new features will work, how much impact they will have, and how fast the adoption rate will occur(DLSS seems to be adopted fast).

Not only that, mine 980TI is oced, it's slightly better or as good as 1070, which is not really mid range.

Not only that, the 2080 and TI, cost around 1800-2100$ in my country, so yeah **** that.

-Tj- and jbscotchman like this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Just look at the Guru3d review of the 2080ti. The 2080ti more than doubles the performance of the 1070 in most games at 1440p and 4k. The 1070 definitely is not anything more than mid range today.

BTW, a well overclocked 980ti will match a stock 1080, no problem.