I am sad about the 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lynart, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've got the same monitor and although I got the 1080Ti it's not entirely enough to get the most out of my monitor. A 2080Ti would be gold but like you say it costs like gold.

R&D is not the issue here. If they'd come up with something truly revolutionary I assume the price would be justified but the performance increase is still way far off what the card actually costs. The 2080Ti should cost 300-400$ less and that's final.

I thought about that too but unfortunately I would only get 40% of the 2080Ti's value. I would still have to add €800.

AsiJu and Slinkyminx like this.
  2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    You don't think RT Cores (Ray Tracing), Tensor Cores (AI, DLSS) and GDDR6 isn't revolutionary enough?

Maddness likes this.
  3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Absolutely this.

No. Period.

386SX and AsiJu like this.
  4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    First of all it's hybrid RT afaik and it's something that's been around for a while but you're right that it's implemented in a consumer card for the first time. Tensor cores already exists on the Volta cards so that's not new either. Finally, GDDR6 isn't developed by nVidia but by Samsung :)

The real point here is that none of these things (except GDDR6) has a positive impact on performance. The DSLL debate is in full motion whether DSLL looks better or worse than other forms of AA. If it looks better then thumbs up!

Slinkyminx and AsiJu like this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think they are revolutionary but not enough to justify the cost. Especially because their implementation won't be fully realized in games for at least a few more years.

As arstechnica stated, you're basically paying a premium for a raffle ticket on whether the games you're going to play are going to get the tech or not.

6. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070 TI OC

JayZTwoCents has a good perspective on the situation...

BangTail likes this.
  7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I think you may see some DLSS implementations coming out in the next 2 months, and one RTX game coming out in a month. Not sure about the release dates for the listed games (DLSS & RTX) but some should start to appear beginning 2019.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Let's not forget we need a Win10 update to get RTX to work at all.

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Could be wrong but think that's in October.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, it's fairly soon but still. Those who wanted to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider with RT will either have to wait or will already have finished the game. BFV on the other hand is not too far off.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Agree this RTX is nothing revolutionary, NV didn't invent raytracing.

Innovative yes, implementing RT and Tensor into consumer product but seems NV completely forgot how much a consumer product may cost.

DLSS looks promising as it clearly boosts performance vs. TAA.
    Still, its use is limited, as a replacement for TAA it won't boost performance all around.
    Maybe / hopefully with enough time and game adoption DLSS could negate the performance penalty of RT.

Regardless 2080 Ti is completely out of range with pricing and 2080 must come down by quite a bit to be truly bang for buck.
    Which I don't expect to happen unless AMD can really kick NV in their raytraced nuts with Navi / Vega 2.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  12. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I don't even need to watch this, to know already that Jaztwocents always had his tongue so far up Nvidia's ass he's probably sticking his tongue out Jensuns mouth.

He's not one of the better ones.

There is no justification for the current state of GPU pricing, there are reasons, but no justification, PERIOD - it's the one thing we should all stop debating/arguing a toss over

AsiJu likes this.
  13. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The pricing is the best way that Nvidia can compete with its own self. This generation:
    1) Will make sure that Pascal cards will keep selling close to MSRP years after they were introduced, and until exactly the moment that Nvidia wants to stop making them. The pricing on these makes slightly discounted GTX 1080Tis "good value".
    2) Helps them serve the ultra high end of people who would buy the latest cards no matter what.
    3) Introduces Nvidia's version of raytracing and the rest of the tech like the tensor cores, as the "default" one, thus setting the playing field of what is expected from new GPUs from the competition.
    4) Tests the design before going into a new node.
    5) Selling consumer cards at €1200 will be "normal", even if production of subsequent high end models is a lot cheaper.
    6) Guess who will have a new leather jacket with higher than expected Q4 results.

14. Q6600

Q6600 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF GTX 3080
    If you did watch that you'd know he said not to buy.........

yasamoka and Slinkyminx like this.
  15. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    My bad, I fully deserve a slap for that

Ironically I often enjoy his videos... In the past I have noticed he's been a bit OTT regards to Nvidia, I think as all the reviewers I have seen so far, it's genuinely really, really difficult to recommend the 20XX at current prices.

I will actually watch his video when I have some more spare time

AsiJu likes this.

16. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    This is a very accurate post.

"The pricing on these makes slightly discounted GTX 1080Tis "good value"." This is something which I have always facepalmed at, it's painful to watch when this happens.

1080Ti is years old tech released around 1.5-2 years ago.

As I said in another post... this is madness

17. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Y, way to get rid of overstocked pascals from stores for nvidia...preorders will buy card anyway and after test sober thinking ppl, not sleeping on money turn to 1080/1080ti...damn we need more competition!

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Unfortunately Navi isn't due until late 2019, early 2020. And 7nm Vega isn't for gaming, unless AMD has changed there roadmap. So we are stuck with these ridiculous priced cards for now if people want to upgrade to something new and shiny.

19. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670

This is the only review I've found so far that addresses the critical points we're wondering.

.......I swear most of the reviews seem paid.

No. Even though I am a software developer and could spend hours reverse engineering existing games to see how to get RTX and DLSS working........that means I'm working for free, after paying $2000 for a product that has unusable or unbenchable features.

This is as stupid as buying a Kawasaki H2R or a Ferrari FXX without any race tracks to use them on.

HandR likes this.
  20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I find it ironic that as someone pointed out, you didn't even watch the video and made completely erroneous proclamations based on that ignorance and yet you tout 'Jim' from AdoredTV as some kind of unbiased authority :rolleyes:

Jay is, more often than not, very objective, the problem is that AMD zealots are only ever happy with people who continually shoot down Intel and Nvidia while trying to pretend that AMD is some kind of 'friend of the common man' or a 'champion of the people'. Double :rolleyes:

You want to talk about 'pulling the wool'?

A little objectivity if you please :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    yasamoka likes this.