The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynart

Lynart Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 670
    I share your thoughts on this. And though this may be projecting, I think anyone buying a 2080 Ti are living up to the quote "a fool and his money are soon parted"

.........and this is coming from someone that pays thousands to ram a motorcycle into a wall accidentally so I'd like to say I'm a pretty big fool too, just not THAT big.

2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Stop with the f**king name calling and questioning what other people do with their money.

It's enough already.

LuckyNumber8 and pharma like this.
  3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    those are statistics, i'd like to know where you get yours from. Mine is at least a tangible number yours is "more and more"
    and steam is not nonsense, they represent the entire gaming community. You can't really get away with buying games anywhere else these days.

BangTail likes this.
  4. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Let's not get dramatic, high end gaming will not end, Nvidia will not collapse, it's just a generation of cards with mediocre value, not the apocalypse. It could even be the best option if you are determined to do 4K (or really the only option for 60FPS)

Most relevant review I've seen so far:

Therein lies the rub. The two major headline features require game designers to fully utilise them before we'll see any benefit. The list of supported titles is, despite nVidia's claims, somewhat thin. Maybe in the future this will change. We have got the lesson of PhysX from which to draw comparisons though. PhysX looked amazing in the handful of titles that fully supported it, and was left doing nothing in every other game. Developers and publishers are financially incentivised to supply games with are supported by the largest number of potential owners, and just as PhysX required an addon card and then a dedicated nVidia one, so it didn't gain traction as AMD owners couldn't use it. Will RT and DLSS go the same way? Neither major console (PS4/XBOX One) have nVidia hardware on board, and even if they did it would be older tech, and consoles are the major market for all games, excluding some Indie/Steam stuff which wouldn't really do ray tracing anyway. Yes, it's fabulous, and yes if the market goes that way then our gaming fidelity will go through the roof, but it might go the same way as PhysX (replaced by Havok and the like and even if used was farmed off to the CPU because everyone had one).

That's the catch

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Really? I saw that trio is hot like FE hot and FE is one loud mofo on top of it.

Only asus strix delivered, get that instead.

As for me hard pass on all 2080xxx. Not worth it.

6. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Hardware Unboxed have done a really respectable review.

BananaRepublik and BangTail like this.
  7. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Resullts arnt as good as leaks suggested (even "official" Nv charts). 29-50fps in new tomb raider doesnt look good at all (like in Pulp Fiction movie "it's pretty F@$4 far from OK"), although there are some games like wolfenstein 2 that's shows HUGE performance boost.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    But I have to say I like what DLSS is doing, not only it give HUGE additional performance boost, but at the same time picture quality is NIGHT AND DAY better compared to TAA. Even on YT highly compressed video I could tell a clear difference in shrpness, TAA looks very clean but blurry as always (basically like upscaled picture) while DLSS looks like SSAAx4, PICTURE QUALITY IS STELLAR. For so many years I was used to playing with MSAA, and I just couldnt stand FXAA, TAA, or other blurry crap AA methods. If every new big game will support DLSS, for that feature alone I would buy RTX card.

And here's some DLSS vs TAA screenshots comparison, because it's hard to appreciate image quality based on YT video
    https://pclab.pl/art78828-21.html
    TAA looks very blurry compared to DLSS in that finall fantasy demo, and that fps diffrence is HUGE, minimal fps has doubled while picture quality increased at the same time.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    pharma and BangTail like this.
  8. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    DLSS is definitely the game changer. With the 2 DLSS demos there was a definite performance boost and some sites also saw a visual quality increase over TAA.
    I wouldn't be surprised it the GTX 2070 surpassed the 1080 Ti with DLSS enabled.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

GeForce RTX 2080/ RTX 2080 Ti: is DLSS a game-changer?

BangTail and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I don't know why people are dramatizing over those new GPU.
    The serie 10XX are beast GPU and will still be for years to come in rasterized gaming / DX11 especially if you're not playing at 4K, and yet the 1080/1080-ti can hold their ground with some compromises.

Hopefully they changed the name of their GPU, but RTX cards are for 4K gaming with hybrid rendering rasterizing/raytracing, this is were PC gaming is heading and it's not Nvidia specific but built on top of newest rendering API that have struggled to take their place for years but might find in real time raytracing the decisive argument to shine and take their rightful place.

RTX2080 isn't the GTX1180.
    https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/03/19/whats-difference-between-ray-tracing-rasterization/

If you're upgrading now, you're an early adopters, as much as people buying first generation VR headset, and it has an extra cost.

I'm really glad and enthusiast for the upcoming PC gaming era that is starting with those cards. Developers won't start using those new tech if there's no GPU available for it out there.
    Now there is, things are moving forward and it's gonna be an incredible ride moving forward.

tensai28 and pharma like this.
  10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Developers, develop for consoles.

We have high end PC's to enjoy those games at a GLORIOUS 4K 100FPS with MASISVE grins on our faces.... Well, that's me anyway.

I am still waiting and at this rate it will be a long one with a heavy, HEAVY price tag. Prices I am not paying.

I actually am the opposite of you, I don't see where the ENTHUSIASM for these new GPU's are coming from... IT'S FLAT OUT HIDEOUS - the dramatization makes perfect sense when you look at the performance/$ - performance/£

I take it you have ordered one..

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, it's the price that is annoying a lot of people and I understand that, but it's the constant name calling and casting of aspersions on others that I have a serious problem with.

It should be noted that there will be a $999.00 2080 Ti part and $699.00 2080 part in the coming weeks which is still not cheap, but it's something.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/08/23/...graphics-card-for-999-but-youll-have-to-wait/

This is brand new tech and anyone who has been in this game for more than a few weeks knows that you always pay a premium to be first in line.

@Slinkyminx Whilst I respect your opinion, repeating the fact that these cards are expensive over and over again is going to change absolutely nothing, I would suggest you come to terms with it and move on.

12. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Maybe I'll get lucky and convince one person :p

In the end, more people buying means prices hold. Just like mining, enough buy, and they GO UP!

I wan't the abuse to stop ... so I can actually love my PC again.

I do agree, though, it's near futile

....And I was only addressing what that guy said. Most of my posting is after reading

BangTail likes this.
  13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    If you're on 1080p you can enjoy great gaming performance for years to come with GTX1060 and GTX1070.
    Hell, i've played Battlefield 1 at 60Fps 1080p medium settings, with a GTX570 yesterday...

14. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Guest

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    As a 2x1080Ti and 4K HDR main screen owner, I can't wait for my 2080Ti to arrive. The simple fact is that the 1080TI is almost enough, but frustratingly not enough.
    Seeing with the 2080Ti some games going from ~55 FPS to ~70 FPS, is all I wanted and all I'm asking for.
    SLI is very flawed, and almost everytime now it has to be forced, and it's never perfect. You can get 60FPS, but artifacts and weird lights, etc abound. Also the micro stutters. Sigh.
    So I hope my new 2080Ti can pull the 60FPS I need at 4K, at least for a couple of months until I can get a second one and an NVLink, and start the struggle again.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its not all bad, you get titan v realm performance for less than half the price of a titan v

Dlss i think is the real winner however , the end of jagged pixels seems to be at hand.

BangTail likes this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This ^^

The only difference being that I don't plan on going back to SLI if I leave it.

It's one of the main selling points of the 2080 Ti for me, single GPU 4k/60FPS.

If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be buying them.

As an aside, it also frees me up to buy non blower design cards which is another plus.

tensai28, XenthorX and BananaRepublik like this.
  17. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    You'll get what you want and quite a bit more if any of your games are in the upcoming 25 DLSS enabled games. I imagine very shortly we will be seeing a flood of games supporting DLSS in their games.

XenthorX and BangTail like this.
  18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    @Slinkyminx
    Enough is enough. You're the person with the Vega 64?

19. RainyMirror

RainyMirror Guest

GPU:
    PNY 2080Ti XLR8
    I don't PLAN on getting a second 2080Ti, I hope it can behave great as a single gpu for 4K, just like the 1080Ti is for 1080p.

BUT I've always done SLI, since it was invented pretty much. If the 2080Ti breaks the cycle, I'll have to look for something to plug on all those extra pci-e slots!

BangTail likes this.
  20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    lol hes got to justify his purchase some how.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.