The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Because it's of near no use currently and we are paying for it

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How do you know?

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Something tells me the only winner as a result of all of this next year will be AMD. But let's see.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I did preorder a 2080-ti as an indie game developper currently working on a upcoming PC title. I don't even play video games all that much, only Star Citizen and R6S, using 2x4K monitor 27" 24".

There's a lot of amazing tech coming for Unreal Engine users regarding DXR / Nvidia RTX, first to come to mind is accelerated lightmap baking (can take hours to bake global illumination), but i might aswell use the extra raytracing capabilities in modelers 3Dsxmax/Maya/Blender for instant feedback.

Regarding my game presentation (it's a kickstarter video presentation), RTX might give my video an extra something that players will notice and remember, in over crowded market it means a lot.

Bonus, just wrapped an atmosphere tech for my game last night:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    jura11, StarvinMarvinDK and pharma like this.

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I dont get it, isnt it time already for teh reviews?

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Yep, ray-tracing will impact many graphics and non-graphics areas.

Turing GPUs can accelerate ray tracing techniques used in many of the following rendering and non-rendering operations:

Reflections and Refractions
    Shadows and Ambient Occlusion
    Global Illumination
    Instant and off-line lightmap baking
    Beauty shots and high-quality previews
    Primary rays for foveated VR rendering
    Occlusion Culling
    Physics, Collision Detection, Particle simulations
    Audio simulation (ex., NVIDIA VRWorks Audio built on top of the OptiX API)
    AI visibility queries

In-engine Path Tracing (non-real-time) to generate reference screenshots for tuning real-time rendering techniques and denoisers, material composition, and scene lighting.

XenthorX likes this.
  7. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    This is such a good video and I am a big fan of George Carlin too :p I am really starting to like what this guy has to say more and more, he seems like a really reasonable and cool guy

<3 AdoredTV 4EVA though :p for the real NO PUNCHES PULLED approach.. And probably the most informative, and well presented videos I have EVER seen on youtube.

<3 Jim

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Wait a minute, in which field are you working buddy? ^^

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Lmao with those numbers..They seem pretty weak !

10. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The numbers are not as good as I had hoped but one thing is certain, the 2080 Ti can give you a solid 4K 60 FPS experience and the 1080 Ti cannot.

I've been wanting to drop SLI for a while now so I am going to do that and put one card in each box as opposed to continuing with SLI.

As much as 1080 Ti SLI will still give better numbers than a 2080 Ti, I'm sick of the flickering, tinkering and other assorted nonsense associated with SLI.

Don't get me wrong, SLI is a great technology, but Nvidia has been neglecting it for a long time now and as much as they keep saying they are going to improve support, actions speak louder than words.

LuckyNumber8 and Slinkyminx like this.
  12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I never used sli before but isn't support almost nonexistent?

13. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Man that msi rtx 2080 ti is a beast i need one xD!

14. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It's been a while for me, I used to love tinkering and playing with SLI but then became thrilled when I could play what I wanted at 1080p (and some resolution scaling in certain games) with a single card, using my former Zotac AMP Extreme 1080 Ti, lovely, LOVELY card, in all ways (except maybe aesthetics :p ... And price, obviously)

So best bet really is to chat with Bangtail, I was mearly thinking in raw number.

Sorry man.

tensai28 likes this.
  15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hilbert it's time to upgrade that 5960X..

user1 and tensai28 like this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The other thing is, I have a suspicion that even 2080 Ti SLI will not handle RTX well at 4K/60FPS and that would really be the only reason to go SLI as in non RTX performance, one is quite clearly enough.

To compound this, NVLink is still a huge question mark that we probably won't know a lot about (when it comes to gaming) for a little while to come.

@tensai28 with regards to SLI, if you are willing to put the time in, it's great and you can usually get it working in the more notable titles, but in the interests of full disclosure, it most certainly does not have the level of support that it used to have.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The temperature drop is awesome 8°C less at full load between 1080 and 2080-ti.

I used AIO/watercooling for my gtx 670 and then gtx-980-ti but it makes much less sense now.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    So do I, it would be awesome to get one delivered to my doorstep.

Great temps and great OC, what more could one ask for?

pharma likes this.
  19. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    Thats a dissapointment.

2080 temps and sound are surprisingly good for reference cooling thats true but performance doesnt match the high prices.

Unless 2080s sell at reasonable prices I will probably go for a cheap ebay 1080, at UW 2K it should be enough until a better generation comes

20. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I just saw a review and it's as near to precisely as I could have predicted as possible, I don't know why people get so excited, you know what you're gonna get, every year.... you know EXACTLY what you're gonna get... (What makes me laugh is people actually believe this is cutting edge tech when the performance increases are completely calculated to PRECISION by Nvidia with cut down versions of GPU's to milk in incremental, timed releases)

Only this year Performance/£ has PLUMMETED beyond ALL sanity

But if you want a bit extra performance, and can afford it... GO RIGHT AHEAD. I think it's a huge mistake to support Nvidia RN, BIG TIME but, nothing I say would ever change anybodies mind so, RIP high/higher end PC gaming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.