ASUS Launches its ROG Thor Series Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ASUS ROG launched the ROG Thor 1200W Platinum and ROG Thor 850W Platinum power supply units, welcoming a new product category to the ROG family. The ROG Thor series is designed for enthusiasts who nee...

ASUS Launches its ROG Thor Series Power Supplies

2. DirkHardpeck

DirkHardpeck Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I was fully ready to hate on this 1337 gaming ROG RGB PSU, but seeing as how its platinum rated Seasonic guts, and has a built-in kill-o-watt.... I might actually consider one for my next build. Maybe a bit overpriced for the typical bling factor, but still a nice looking product.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why not just buy a cheaper Seasonic platinum unit and a discrete watt meter? Watt meters are very cheap and super useful.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Depends on price of 850W i could be interested, these psus look good. 250usd for 1200W is actually pretty good price but i do not need that much power to deliver.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @schmidtbag
    and i still rather spend the money on the psu, then on a cheaper one and another product i will never use.

outside the fact that a regular seasonic prime is 200$, so not of a big difference anyway.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ok..... and how exactly does your preferences and need (or lack thereof) of niche devices relate to this discussion? I'm addressing Dirk's comment, since he was stating how he's interested in this unit due to the features it has. He pointed out the high price, so I told him what a cheaper and more practical alternative would be.

Furthermore, custom-built PCs (which this unit is designed for) do not have accurate power consumption estimates and/or yearly cost. This watt meter is built-in because of people who care and want to know.

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    because you said its cheaper to buy them seperate, when its a ~10$ diff (30$ at most),
    when getting the seasonic + wattmeter (vs asus),
    and most likely not relevant for someone willing to spend +200$ on a 1200w psu in the first place.

like him, im interested in a display on the psu, not a separate item to just measure consumption (or i would have already bought one).

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    $30-$50 could be enough of a difference to feel the product isn't overpriced, which is why I brought it up. That's 15-25% of the total price on a $200 unit.

Anyway, I don't understand your priorities - you seem to dismiss the need to measure watts, but then you say you're interested in the display on the PSU. You don't care about just measuring the power consumption, yet that's the only [good] reason why you'd pay extra for a unit like this (otherwise, you could just get an equally capable plain Seasonic for a lower price and add your own RGB LEDs).

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    because if i buy the seasonic, i dont get the oled display, and adding it "myself" wont be cheaper.
    just because me (and others) are interested in measuring the pc consumption, doesnt mean i need to know how much my fridge uses.
    im saying, i dont need a wattmeter for anything BUT my pc, and then would prefer to have it on the psu, rather than another seperate device, even if that means spending 10$ more (over the cheaper seasonic and adding the wattmeter + shipping).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  10. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    wonder if the oled will last long enuf.... especially in 24/7 enviroment
    probably will last okay, but still it will be heavy burn-in

here is the tricky things from asus
    The ROG Thor 1200W Platinum ensures reliable power delivery with phenomenal efficiency. True to its name, it has 80 Plus Platinum certification that guarantees efficiency around 90% for a wide range of loads and input voltages. We’re so confident in its durability that the PSU warranty lasts for 10 years, a first for ROG. (10-year warranty does not apply to OLED and RGB lighting.)
    quote from :https://rog.asus.com/articles/psus/introducing-rog-thor-1200w-platinum-psu-power-to-the-republic/

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Should be fine, as its only displaying stats and doesn't have the need to show video that might get messed up by burn in.
    Then again, if they use something like pixelshift or do a screen wipe every month, not an issue at all.